• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo l150e losing its gears

Andrewk143

Hi I am having a issue with out L150e where it is losing its gears, the machine will run for around 40 minutes and then the issue begins, once in gear it’ll stay in gear but if you flick the lever from forwards to reverse or reverse to forwards you might get a gear or you might not, it’ll show on the dash the lever is in forwards/reverse but then the gear is in neutral, but you can feel the machine click in gear and straight back out and won’t move, turning the engine off and back on does sometimes work but not all the time, gearbox temperature was up to 124 Fahrenheit.

I’m going to take each gear coil off and clean them up, but any other information would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 510E1275-591B-4D9D-8CD4-993B9E592C88.jpeg
    510E1275-591B-4D9D-8CD4-993B9E592C88.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • D911683C-288C-412C-9285-C412A37DF8F0.jpeg
    D911683C-288C-412C-9285-C412A37DF8F0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 9066880B-56C5-43F5-98A2-4010CF640882.jpeg
    9066880B-56C5-43F5-98A2-4010CF640882.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

zlssefi

good! we have had issues with the standard shifter throwing weird signals to the transmission. when leaving that in neutral and using the rocker the problems went away. IF thats the case you just need a new shifter assembly.....fingers crossed!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Do you lose forward and reverse when this happens?
A little experiment to aid in troubleshooting. If zlssefi's suggestion doesn't pan out. When the machine acts up, place the APS switch in manual or turn it to the wrench symbol. Chose each gear deliberately. Start out F1, F2 and so on. Then perform the same in Reverse. See which selection(s) don't afford you travel. Keep in mind, 3rd and 4th are gonna require some throttle to get moving. This will help you isolate which solenoid is giving you fits. If you lose forward and reverse at the same time, odds are it's the 2nd gear solenoid. Very common. Simply rotate up to 3rd or down to 1st. With these machines getting older, we're sure to see this more frequently . Good luck.

Andrewk143

Do you lose forward and reverse when this happens?
A little experiment to aid in troubleshooting. If zlssefi's suggestion doesn't pan out. When the machine acts up, place the APS switch in manual or turn it to the wrench symbol. Chose each gear deliberately. Start out F1, F2 and so on. Then perform the same in Reverse. See which selection(s) don't afford you travel. Keep in mind, 3rd and 4th are gonna require some throttle to get moving. This will help you isolate which solenoid is giving you fits. If you lose forward and reverse at the same time, odds are it's the 2nd gear solenoid. Very common. Simply rotate up to 3rd or down to 1st. With these machines getting older, we're sure to see this more frequently . Good luck.
Hi, yes we do lose forward and reverse, where can I find the aps switch just all the symbols are rubbed off on my switches, also do you know which solenoid is for 2nd gear? Just there is 6 solenoids in total, 3 on the right 3 on the left

Attachments

• 3629D716-9648-4ED7-994A-804E62348331.jpeg
    3629D716-9648-4ED7-994A-804E62348331.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

Andrewk143

Could the temperature sensor be causing me issues, got on site this morning and the machine is still chucking solenoid faults up, but the oil temp is up to 160fahrenheit, also the driver says it is chucking a I-ecu fault up now also, yet to try swapping the 2nd and 4th solenoid over, also the manager wants me to try unplug the temp sensor

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Ok. That's a new variable. All inputs from gear selector go to and through I-ECU then to V-ECU. I will check schematics and post up the input side of things. When the machine displayed "ERROR, GEAR SHIFTING SOLENOIDS " Did your operator attempt to isolate which solenoid was causing issue? 160° is getting up there but not yet a point of concern if it was working hard.

Andrewk143

Yeah I went through all the gears and it was moving in every gear, so I have then swapped sa and se solenoids and got the operator to work it hard and it hasn’t missed a beat since!I seen on another thread a comment from yourself explaining which solenoid is for which gear, so ‘sa’ being forward to ‘se’ being gear 4 so just used that info to help me, when I had sa of yesterday I did notice it had bare wire showing so I cleaned it up as good as I could and taped it but it mustn’t have helped, so ideally 6 new solenoids should see the machine good for a couple years, cheers for all your help and information mate it would have been a pain with out it

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I wouldn't invest in all 6 unless you wanted them "on hand" .I'd just fix what's wrong and move on. You cannot get the coils separate from the stem from Volvo, they're complete. It gets pricey. Good luck.