• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

union, non-union and self employed poll

union, non-union, or self employed

• Yes, I'm a union operating engineer or other union menber

Votes: 97 24.3%
  • Yes, I'm non union and I work for someone else.

Votes: 111 27.8%
  • Yes, I'm self employed

Votes: 191 47.9%

• Total voters

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
local 150. top of the food chain. we set the standard.
united we stand, divided we fall.

Sharky

You guys busy up there? A couple apprentices I know down here would love to make a run up there and work for a season or two. We can only work up there if all the apprentices in your area are out to work, only fair, but it would be an exeperience nonetheless. I'm happy where I'm at as long as the company I'm with keeps me busy, I like the crew I'm on and would like to stay where I'm at.

The outfit I work for had 4 apprentices working and 3 just journeyed out a bit over a month ago. This job I am on now will shut down in winter and wrap up in spring. Southeast Union outfits are limited, there are many more in the interior of the state. We are all still working, however, layoffs for some are inevitable before the months end. I hope to work till snowfall on this job, but never count my chickens before they hatch:Banghead Time will tell.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I hear that. Hoping I make it until December or January. I know we have another big dig to do much like the one we're on right now next spring, hopefully it'll kick off in March. So, assuming I make it back out with the same crew I'm on, hopefully I'll only have 3-4 months of time off. You're right, it's inevitable, especially this year with the work being fairly scarce.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Great Thread!

I've always skirted having to join a union and been paid union rates thanks to something called "prevailing wage rate". In that, union dues are deducted and i have no problem with that.

The NYC operators union took a huge hit after 9/11 and are now run by the Feds from what I understand, up here in Buffalo they recently got taken over by the International operators union due to corruption issues simular to those in NYC.

My opinion is obviously indifferent too a union, They have done nothing for me in over 20 years around asphalt milling machines except try to shut me out. On the other hand they have seen to it that prevailing wage rates up north are worthwhile.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Milling drum, you complain about unions, yet you admit that you enjoy getting paid prevailing wage (union wage + cost of benefit package) If you are getting paid prevailing rate then you're complaining with your mouth full.

milling_drum

Occupation
Whats the complaint? More than half the time the union halls can't find mill operators, we are hard to come by.

If I was being paid prevailing wages, why didn't the contractor just go to the hall and get a union operator? I'd tell ya the answer but since you thought that last comment was a complaint, you would flip out over the "full mouth" reply:)

I'm sorry Buckethead feels I'm complaining. Its also entirely possible that some halls are good to their members while others don't do as much as they should or could.

I wonder how These overall pro union people feel about the stats above showing the union membership on this server being the lowest of the three categories?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I wonder how These overall pro union people feel about the stats above showing the union membership on this server being the lowest of the three categories?
It does not matter because it's not really any of my concern whether anyone on this board has a union book or not. I am not here to organize or preach to anybody. I enjoy this forum because I can learn about equipment that I might not see around here. I just don't think we need to make personal attacks on each others character, that's all.

Last edited:

Sharky

Not beating my head on any drum, but if it were not for unions, there would not be a "Prevailing wage". Unions fight for higher wages. Prevailing wage is Union wage in most circumstances, just without union benefits of which the non union employee is paid extra.

I dont always agree with the unions, but if given a choice, I will work union first.

Mill operators are more rare, however, it's not because it's super hard, its because there is alot less of it than other types of work, therefore, they are not needed all the time. We have a few mill hands on our crew and the reason the hall cant find any, is usually because those guys are already working.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Per capita, there are more union members on this site than union work exists in the field. It's not fiction that the unions are hurting these days compared to what they used to be. Only 13% of work performed now is union supplied labor, that's terrible. As you can see, we've beat the 13% here on this poll, so we're actually stronger here than we are in the field.

Some of the union stuff is BS, but I'm still proud to be a member. There are some bad eggs in the union, too, but I think there are far less. Everybody on my crew works a lot harder than non union guys I've worked with in the past. I'm not bashing the non union guys, the union route isn't for everyone. But for me it's a pretty good deal, I get to do stuff I wouldn't be able to do if I was working non-union, get the benefits of one of the best training facilities in the country and some of the best operators to learn from while I'm out there.

Last edited:

385Diggin' Doug

It does not matter because it's not really any of my concern whether anyone on this board has a union book or not. I am not here to organize or preach to anybody. I enjoy this forum because I can learn about equipment that I might not see around here. I just don't think we need to make personal attacks on each others character, that's all.

That is the pot calling the kettle black. Bump

Jake

Occupation
Operator
If people didn't like what they did or who they worked for they would do something about it. Can't we all just get along.

385Diggin' Doug

Doug you changed your story so many times you have no credibility with me.
Credibility w/ you is certainly not my concern or worry here. Once upon a time you asked a set of questions and I answered them.I do not expect or have a desire for you to understand what it is I said. I was presented w/ a situation to better my Family out of respect and I took it.Open mouthed,close minded people like you are what puts this Forum in danger of peoples' points of view being misconstrued.I work to live not live to work.I always have and always will do what is the best for my Family regardless of what fallout may come about.

PS> Still no word from you on who you are with.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Doug, I will not name the company I am working for because I have been told they don't like employees blogging about them on the internet. They are a good contractor, I don't need them angry at me. You are free to work for whom you see fit it's none of my business, that's not the issue. It's just that you said you were working for a certain company, then when one of their people on here said he worked for them too, then you said, no it was the other company from down Jersey, then you said it was the original company.It seemed strange to me, that's all. Not many 385s in these parts either. I have only ever seen two around here. I don't think my response to Mr. Milling Drum was inappropriate, I was just objecting to what seemed like ad hominem attacks. I'm wondering if you two know each other? I am extra curious as to the timing of your return to these forums, as well. Maybe I will stay away from this forum for a while until things cool down, I'm not here to make enemies.

milling_drum

Occupation
Well lets see, I found this server about two weeks ago doing a heavy equipment search at Yahoo. I have never messaged or talked to Diggin Doug fella in any way online or in person. It is entirely possible that my wording in the original post that Mr Buckethead objected too was harsh. But it remains a fact what I have stated here to be true.

Sharky states the milling issue exactly right, mill operators are rare, its not because its real hard but usually because the "good" overall operators are taken already elsewhere. Credibilty online is something difficult to obtain in a personal sense, running a business online is one thing, posting comments as an individual is another.

WE ALL need to try to keep this thread alive and spare the bickering, although I may have triggered it initially, I do not wish to loose my space here at the forum but I reserve the right to state an opinion. Since Mr Buckethead objects to my views, thats entirely his business, but now it reads like an accusation is being leveled about a conspiracy with the timing of the comments. So thats twice Mr Buckethead has had an issue involving my presence at this server. In a review of the issues, my opinion there is that Mr Buckethead my wish to consider easing up a little on ideology that may not be exactly what suits him.

Once again I thank the operator and founders of this server, I enjoy the content here and hope we can all benefit from it.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
From the Forum Rules:

Personal attacks of any kind on other members will not be tolerated. While disagreements will arise, they must be handled in a mature manner.

Keep it civil, and discuss any disagreements like gentlemen, and there will be no problem. (Hint: If you wonder whether what you're posting is in violation of that rule, it probably is.) ;)

honest outlaw

Occupation
general contractor
used to work for family. quit in '98 got my own junk iron along with my own payments:drinkup:notworthy:eek::pointhead:Banghead now I work to make money not to 'help' the family.:D:cool:

Wawrecker

Just joined up with IUOE Local 302 as an entry level apprentice. Looking forward to working on some bigger jobs running some bigger iron.

I think I feel the need to make the statement that unions vary depending on location. Out here in WA, all state work is done by union contractors, the non-union boys can't even bid on it due to legislative measures regarding apprentice hiring.

This only applies to King county work which is public work which is cheap work.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I have a masonry business and a Local 138 book for my Lulls.