• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Underride protection bar

spitzair

Hi everyone,
I’ve looked all over and can’t find this anywhere... how high can a trailer be before it needs rear underride protection? Thanks.

spitzair

Thanks Truck Shop. This would be on a deckover flatbed trailer with 235/80r16 tires on 7k lb axles...

Coaldust

In the future, those specs can be found under CFR 49 - 393.86.

(3) Guard height. The vertical distance between the bottom edge of the horizontal member of the guard and the ground shall not exceed 560 mm (22 inches) at any point across the full width of the member. Guards with rounded corners may curve upward within 255 mm (10 inches) of the longitudinal vertical planes that are tangent to the side extremities of the vehicle.

spitzair

In the future, those specs can be found under CFR 49 - 393.86.

(3) Guard height. The vertical distance between the bottom edge of the horizontal member of the guard and the ground shall not exceed 560 mm (22 inches) at any point across the full width of the member. Guards with rounded corners may curve upward within 255 mm (10 inches) of the longitudinal vertical planes that are tangent to the side extremities of the vehicle.

Ok so is it safe to assume then that if the underside of the deck is more than 22" above ground a guard is required? The intent of my original question is how high can the back of the trailer be before I need to install one of these guards.

skyking1

I have thought of retrofitting the company's older tilt with one. It was built well before 98 and is exempt. It would have to articulate.