• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transfer Tank & Toolbox Setups

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My 250 was bought before I needed a fuel tank. My next truck will be a long wheel base, or a 9 or 11' hauler body on a F550.

I seriously considered a hauler bed on a dually 350 but went with a SRW. In an ultimate world I would like to have a F350 with a hauler bed like this one with storage space, mount a 110 gal transfer behind the bulkhead and have a 150 or a Toyota with the new Cummins V8 as a run around truck. We can dream can't we?:D

Yair . . . you folks in the US don't use the plastic?

http://www.polydieseltanks.com.au/

Cheers.

Nope, never seen them.

Do you guys need any placards to carry a certain amount of fuel? I was thinking on putting a tank in my truck but heard the DOT calculates the total on board as the amount in your vehicle tank and what is in the transfer tank.

I think the Fed DOT threshold between having to have a HAZMAT license is 118 or so gals. Most transfer tanks are 110 and below. I haven't heard of anyone in my area having an issue with DOT over a standard transfer tank. I need to get some DIESEL stickers and put them on my tank just for classification.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I seriously considered a hauler bed on a dually 350 but went with a SRW. In an ultimate world I would like to have a F350 with a hauler bed like this one with storage space, mount a 110 gal transfer behind the bulkhead and have a 150 or a Toyota with the new Cummins V8 as a run around truck. We can dream can't we?:D

"CM" …… WTH …… You own the hauler bed company ! …. why do you have to dream ??? ……. your names on every one ! …..LOL

CM1995 said:
I think the Fed DOT threshold between having to have a HAZMAT license is 118 or so gals. Most transfer tanks are 110 and below. I haven't heard of anyone in my area having an issue with DOT over a standard transfer tank. I need to get some DIESEL stickers and put them on my tank just for classification.

We have the same volume threshold as you guys CM ….. only ours are posted as 100 Imp/gal or 454L anything over the rules get Heavy !

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
What are the rules regarding using a semi-truck fuel tank as a slip tank? My brother in law and I have seen a few guys using these as a slip tank is this illegal in Canada? And if it is, is it just poorly enforced or is it regulated Provincially as opposed to Federally? I'm not thinking of doing it myself I want a proper toolbox combination tank but I imagine it must come down to a regulation regarding double wall versus single wall etc etc.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
What are the rules regarding using a semi-truck fuel tank as a slip tank? My brother in law and I have seen a few guys using these as a slip tank is this illegal in Canada? And if it is, is it just poorly enforced or is it regulated Provincially as opposed to Federally? I'm not thinking of doing it myself I want a proper toolbox combination tank but I imagine it must come down to a regulation regarding double wall versus single wall etc etc.

We have a lot of guys out here that use those …… But they have to be secured to the frame of vehicle, have Roll over protection (so that the fuel can not drain out when on side or inverted), proper tank venting (x-psi rating, not open air) c/w check valve, a shut off valve between the tank and pump, proper decals (as in 1202, 1203 etc.) including dangerous goods MOT numbering ……… Can't remember if I forgot anything or not ……. I don't know where the cut-off volume is for where the double wall takes into effect, I'm thinking that has to do only with the portable/stationary Enviro-Tanks ………

The tanks I use are 410L (about 108US/Gal), steel, L-shaped c/w dry-box Attached with the pump mounted inside of the locking dry-box (Made in Vancouver area By Tidy Tanks) ….. Ohh I just remembered the Tanks have to have the current Foil metal Tag, DOT/MOT approval fuel transport Numbers (can not be removed or transferred) …..

I had an Aluminum 90US Gal Tank/Drybox combo made by the US company called DeZee …… It "WAS" great until the back bottom welded seam Split (and it was a baffled tank too)

Last edited:

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
So as long as the tank itself is made safe with those features it is legal to use a semi-truck fuel tank then. We had somebody trying to tell us it's illegal because the tanks are not double wall, but that didn't make a whole lot of sense to us since semi-truck fuel tanks are located in a much more risky place than a slip tank and also we see quite a few tanks mostly farmers though that are setup like that.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
So as long as the tank itself is made safe with those features it is legal to use a semi-truck fuel tank then. We had somebody trying to tell us it's illegal because the tanks are not double wall, but that didn't make a whole lot of sense to us since semi-truck fuel tanks are located in a much more risky place than a slip tank and also we see quite a few tanks mostly farmers though that are setup like that.

Yup ! …… But National Safety Codes should be the same across the country, and we know that has been proven wrong many times ……. I think it has more to do with the Volume as to where the Hazmat reg's come into Play as well ….. I personally have not seen a double walled tank in the back of a vehicle in the sizes we're talking about

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Ok thanks Craft it can be difficult to find a definitive answer to some of these things in this line of work.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks Sawdus22.:)

I dream about having a truck like that. I will one day!

Dreams, hard work and determination is all we got.;)

On a side note my trusted job site supervisor was in the back seat, watching over the site. She even barked at the owner of the pit when he came by.:D

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
CM ! …… is that the truck you bought to replace the one the Beetle Ate ??? ……. if it is that is a sweet ride !!!

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Ok thanks Craft it can be difficult to find a definitive answer to some of these things in this line of work.

The answers are ALWAYS Loud and Clear After you've gotten pulled over by the DOT !!! …. and they give that really nice piece of paper with all the descriptions of WTF you didn't do right !!! …… $$$$$$$$$ ….ooops to late …now we know the rest of the story !!! ……. then they turn around and invent some more DA rules to invent another "Cash Cow" ………. Grrrrrrr !!! ….. LOL …. here we go again

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
CM ! …… is that the truck you bought to replace the one the Beetle Ate ??? ……. if it is that is a sweet ride !!!

Yep, same one.

BTW - I didn't even think about the bed thing, ha I wish that was my company.:D

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
BTW - I didn't even think about the bed thing, ha I wish that was my company.:D

That's OK CM …… It's not True what others say about You ! ………… LOL …… I knew sooner or later you'd get it !!! …… Cheers !

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
The answers are ALWAYS Loud and Clear After you've gotten pulled over by the DOT !!! …. and they give that really nice piece of paper with all the descriptions of WTF you didn't do right !!! …… $$$$$$$$$ ….ooops to late …now we know the rest of the story !!! ……. then they turn around and invent some more DA rules to invent another "Cash Cow" ………. Grrrrrrr !!! ….. LOL …. here we go again

Lol! yeah it's just a matter of getting those answers before getting pulled over. But I know what you mean.

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
Its not as fancy as most, but it works for me.
IMAG03531.jpgHPIM2756.JPG
Oh and I haven't traded down, I just use the little hoe around the ranch.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I like your setup ddigger, been thinking about setting my F250 up like that.

Right now it has an L tank, side to side toolbox and the lube skid in the back - air comp., grease keg, small tool box and hose reels. Problem is this takes up all the bed space. I have some WG side boxes in the shop..:idea

How did you mount your air comp. to the L-tank?

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
Simple, all I did was lay some 2x6s on the tank which also support the side boxes, and on the outside board I just screwed on another 2x6 to act as a lip, some wood screws thru the bottem of the boxes to keep things from moving around. The compressor is heavy enough that it doesn't move around. Plus it makes a nice space for extra hitches shackles and hammers and those on gallon oil jugs you see. The best part of the whole set up is having the drawers at the back like that for all my hand tools one side is standard the other is metric.

Mark13

Since this got bumped up here's a few pics of my work truck.

L tank with a 15gal per minute FillRite pump. Swivel on the end of the hose by the nozzle. Standard size weatherguard. I used to have an extra width weatherguard but it made for very little clearance pulling my gooseneck flatbed.
BackRack has a 22" Federal Signal Mini Legend in all amber. 2 white light heads point out the rear under the bar and 1 point out each side. There is also amber led hide-a-ways in the turn signals and back up lights.

20140425_081342_RichtoneHDR_zpsdpqndvxx.jpg
20140425_081323_RichtoneHDR_zpsr0w0msid.jpg
20140425_081154_RichtoneHDR_zpshgm6odgo.jpg

Edit. I'm not sure why they don't show up like normal. They're linked as img tags.

Edit2. I don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited: