• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transfer Tank & Toolbox Setups

Winch Cat

Occupation
Recovery and haulage of equipment (and vehicles).
The location on Route 3 looks like Brandy Brook Hollow, east of Merrillsville. I had forgotten that Gordy had sent so much iron up for the 80 Games.

Nedly05,

What is the name of the book that the picture is in?

Last edited:

Sawdus22

This is my old setup in my little Dakota. Pro tech rack, RDS 52 gal tank, UWS box for a CC Tacoma.
Worked ok but I'll never go back to a mini pickup work truck.....
Haven't got my new pickup setup the way I want yet.

View attachment 113496

I always thought about this. If you dont want to use your diesel truck everyday and your not pulling a machine everyday. This seems like a perfect setup in some cases. If your on a site for a couple days and you really dont want to put useless miles on the big trucks.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
I always thought about this. If you dont want to use your diesel truck everyday and your not pulling a machine everyday. This seems like a perfect setup in some cases. If your on a site for a couple days and you really dont want to put useless miles on the big trucks.
It seems like a good idea in theory, but really it doesn't work out too well. That truck got 11mpg hauling around me and a box full of tools. With the transfer tank full you could really feel the truck bog on hills, it wasn't happy at all with 1,000 pounds in the back.
But on a positive note it was payed for and I wouldn't even attempt the trail in the picture in my dually!

nedly05

The location on Route 3 looks like Brandy Brook Hollow, east of Merrillsville. I had forgotten that Gordy had sent so much iron up for the 80 Games.

Nedly05,

What is the name of the book that the picture is in?

Winch Cat!!! I can't remember it has been a long time. I will have to see if my Father has it now, as I recall its fairly thick with a green hardback cover.

Winch Cat

Occupation
Recovery and haulage of equipment (and vehicles).
Winch Cat!!! I can't remember it has been a long time. I will have to see if my Father has it now, as I recall its fairly thick with a green hardback cover.

Thanks buddy! I would appreciate it. I ought to get over to see you sometime. Did you get the hydrant wrench/ hose wrench alright?

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
So I'm in the process of setting up another truck with a tank and box and I'm trying to figure out a better solution for the hose. In the pictures it looks like most you have just left a gap between the box and tank to stuff the hose into. I wanted to avoid mounting the box like this to maximize bed space and leave room for the GN hitch. So has anyone thought of or tried using a quick connect between the pump and hose? I was thinking about using a quick connect hydo fitting then just stowing the hose hose and nozzle in the tool box. This would also made it just a little harder for someone to rip off fuel.
Any recommendations on what type of fitting to use for this? Would a hydraulic fitting even work? I know the transfer pump operates at considerable less pressure than a hydraulic system.

still learn'n

My bil had a custom tank built to go under his crossover toolbox but it was for extra capacity for his pickup not for equip but he has shortbed and he wanted to be able to still hook up to gooseneck! LT-x7 we have camlock fittings on one of our pickups but wouldn't want it for what you are talking about cuz it makes a mess when unhooked! We use it to hook up a piece of pipe to fuel hose when burning tree piles to get them started.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
LT-x7 we have camlock fittings on one of our pickups but wouldn't want it for what you are talking about cuz it makes a mess when unhooked! We use it to hook up a piece of pipe to fuel hose when burning tree piles to get them started.
That's exactly why I was thinking a hydro fitting. Because your right, if I have to deal with a big mess every time its not worth it.

Andrew_D

I think you'd need a 1" or larger hydraulic-style connector. The 1/2" ag style connectors are at their limit running fans on air seeders with around 15-18gpm.

Some of the chemical totes we get have a 1" or 1 1/2" no-drip quick coupler. Plastic, but a stainless one is likely available as well.

Andrew

heymccall

On mine, the gap is required to allow the lid to actually open. It's just coincidence that there is enough gap to lay a hose in there. On a couple here, the hose runs from the pump, under the toolbox, and then connects to a filter head bolted to the bedside. From there, it rests on hooks mounted to the bed side.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
On mine, the gap is required to allow the lid to actually open. It's just coincidence that there is enough gap to lay a hose in there.

Same here. A weather guard box needs the space to let the lid rotate back to open. I have 2 swivels on my hose to help prolong the life of the hose and put it between the toolbox and tank.

In a LWB there is enough room to have a fuel tank, large coffin lid weather guard box and a gooseneck hitch however with very little room to spare.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
The lid design on my toolbox allows it to be mounted right against the tank. On my LB SuperDuty, I mounted the tank back a few inches from the front of the bed to leave room for gallon jugs of oil, coolant etc. I also stood up a single jack there for quick access (short handled sledge hammer.) The fuel hose was wrapped around the pump a couple of times and hung in that space too. There was still plenty of room to access the GN hitch. On my present Dodge flatbed, I moved the jugs to an underbed box, but I left even more space in front of the tank to store shovels and a broom. There's still enough clearance for the GN.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
A couple of pics of my plain jane set up.

IMG_0331.jpg

A swivel on the filter and nozzle end helps prolong the hose life from cracking and eventually leaking.

IMG_0333.jpg

Gooseneck ball in the bed, amongst a lot of other crap disregard that. There is enough room but it's tight. This truck came with a Ford factory gooseneck hitch which I like.

IMG_0335.jpg

If you look closely in the last picture there are the new track hoe batteries I had to buy yesterday because someone stole the other ones over the weekend..

Sawdus22

A couple of pics of my plain jane set up.

View attachment 114998

A swivel on the filter and nozzle end helps prolong the hose life from cracking and eventually leaking.

View attachment 114999

Gooseneck ball in the bed, amongst a lot of other crap disregard that. There is enough room but it's tight. This truck came with a Ford factory gooseneck hitch which I like.

View attachment 115000

If you look closely in the last picture there are the new track hoe batteries I had to buy yesterday because someone stole the other ones over the weekend..

Nice setup CM! You should post some pictures of the whole truck for us.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Nice setup CM! You should post some pictures of the whole truck for us.

There are few in this thread and some history about how I have a '13 F350.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?33827-VW-Bug-1-F350-0/page4

The windows have been tinted and I bought some 18" factory wheels (I already had the BFG's off my old truck) to sharpen it up a bit.:D

Why so many shortbed pickups used for work vehicles?

That I don't understand why, mine is a LWB. I have had a SWB CC in the past and it was nice getting around but couldn't carry the things I needed to.

Is that a long or short bed? What's your tank capacity?

LWB, the tank is a 90 gal.

Last edited:

lumberjack

My 250 was bought before I needed a fuel tank. My next truck will be a long wheel base, or a 9 or 11' hauler body on a F550.

BPMfore

Do you guys need any placards to carry a certain amount of fuel? I was thinking on putting a tank in my truck but heard the DOT calculates the total on board as the amount in your vehicle tank and what is in the transfer tank.