• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tools

Mack185

Well as I stated in a previous post, I'm all registered in Heavy Diesel classes at my local CC. Now that I am registered it's time to register with all the tech. ed. programs for Snapon, Matco, Mac and Cornwell. I have a pretty good array of Craftsman at the house but I find it difficult to pass up the 50% discount I'll get with the tool truck brands. I mine as well take advantage of the discount and student loans while I can. Any recommendations on what to buy? I know everybody's opinion varies but I'm just looking for some general input. Meaning snapon makes the best crowfeet but matco has the best wrenches and air tools yadda yadda. Things like that, thanks in advance.

Chris91786

Occupation
CAT HE Technician - Ring Power Corp.
I tend to lean away from the tool trucks because they mark up their tools big time. I'd rather just go to Sears and get Craftsman stuff and save money.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I tend to lean away from the tool trucks because they mark up their tools big time. I'd rather just go to Sears and get Craftsman stuff and save money.

I agree but now you need to look what craftsman wrenches are made in china:(

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
Sockets and wrenches I like Craftsman. For things like screw drivers and allen sockets, torx sockets I buy off of the tool trucks. I like IR air tools. JJ

td25c

Hi Mack185 ,& congratulations on your getting in school for heavy diesel mechanic.It's a good trade.You will need a few specialty type tools from the tool truck guy's in the future after you land a job.I use allot of craftsman tools,have some mac,& snap-on.Sounds like you already have the basics,thats good.Just be carefull about going "tool crazy" at this time as you are still in school.You will see that the tool companys will all have an "easy" payment plan,Im just saying be carefull about getting to far in debt before you get the job.Good luck!

heavylift

I have just about every brand there is....
Craftsman tools... well they almost always have a 50% sale going on. In fact I just bought an 18 piece set of screw drivers for under 20 bucks.
Pawn shops were the best bang for the buck. but now days it's hard to find a bargain at pawn shops...
Auctions and flea markets have great deals... the last auction I went to, beer flats full of tools where going for under 20 bucks... and a few boxes were just snap-on.
Snap-on guy here is a real jerk... so guess what.... I don't buy from him ...

I buy used or on sale tools.... a Craftsmans is a Craftsmans ... if you paid 2 dollars or 20 dollars...or even 40 dollars regular price. it still has the same warranty

Estate sales you can get REALLY good deals at those...

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I like Matco Tool boxes, I have Matco wrenches, air tools are a mix. I don't like mac air tools, snap on and matco are good. I have purchased grey pneumatic http://www.gpsocket.com/ for all of my impact sockets, they are import (Grey)that I buy off of the tool truck you can also find them on ebay. They are half the price and life time guaranteed, I didn't start buying them until I started having problems getting my broken snap on sockets replaced, I don't feel that snap on is a bad socket, just my last two reps taken forever and in a couple of instance never got my broken ones replaced. Just my two cents good luck in you career.

Walt 66A

Occupation
HE mechanic
A lot of it is personal choice, like ford vs chevy. A lot will depend on your dealer. Like has been already said, if you have a poor dealer, the warranty won't mean squat.

LonestarCobra

For me I prefer Snap-On for the most part. One reason is they have always been here for me when needed. They may have a few weeks between visits when they get a new dealer on the route, but they show up. There are a few Mac tools I like, but its hard to get warranty on anything because they never have a truck in the area. I bought my first set of Snap On tools in 1988, and have been using them every day since on heavy equipment repair, and still have most of the tools I originally purchased. There have been a few lost, a few broken and replaced, and some just worn out and replaced. I dont like Snap On air tools with the exeption of their IM31 3/8" impact, IR seems to be the best I have found on all others.

surfer-joe

If you are going to be using your tools day in and day out, any of the American MADE brands are good. It's been a while since I bought many tools, and at that time, the Chinese and other foreign made or Asian tools were not up to snuff. They broke, slipped, and messed up your hands pretty fierce. But, I've had domestic brands do this too! Exceptions might be Canadian or German tools.

Now, well, most folks would be hard put to find an American made wrench or power tool. Sad really! We are outsourcing the heart of our nation.

I bought a ton of tools while in college too, very good discounts, and I stayed within my budget for them. Some other fellas, well they went whole hog and had big monthly statements to pay off. Not fun! Stay with just what you need for school at first. The college should have provided you with a list.

Pawn shops used to be good. Get in with one that handles a lot of tool and have them set aside some of the brands you want. Got to go by often though, they won't hold them forever. Garage and yard sales are good, so are flea markets. Don't just buy the lot though, just get what you need. Be cautious with stuff on ebay or Craig's List. Some of that stuff is stolen and you do not want to get involved with any of that. Ask some pointed questions if you see any tools with serial numbers ground off or embossed with social security numbers or initials stamped in them. I always stamped or etched my initials in my tools immediately after purchase, and I'll bet I've etched 50,000 tools or more that I've bought over the years for various company shops and mechanics.

IR air tools are the Cadillac. I liked Mac and Snap-On too. Mac used to be reasonably priced. New Britain, Vulcan, Cornwell, Craftsman, CAT, Proto, Armstrong, Klein, Rigid; these were all good. Black and Decker, Stanley, Porter-Cable are good electric tools. Mikita is a good brand.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

heyu29h

Occupation
heavy equipment mech. 13 yrs
Practical advice on tools for new machanic

Most high wear items should be bought off a tool truck, as your gona wear um out fast and need um replaced often. Things like, Screw drivers, side cutters, plyers, channel locks, torques bits, allen sockets, drill bits (as long as they replace for free), crescent wrench.

But other stuff you should definatly not waist your money on a tool truck.

Air tools > DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY ON A TRUCK, But DONT BUY OFFBRAND!!! They dont fix / replace them for any cheaper if bought on a truck. Buy name brand, I recomend IR, they last me the longest, but buy from a local store front or internet on sale.

Large wrenchs, 1" and up, Large sockets 1" and up, hammers, and all your impact sockets. Harbor frieght!!!! you can buy online or at a local store front, if you have one near you. These items cost 1/10th the price at harbor frieght and that the only place i have bought them! In 13 years of working on heavy equipent i have only broken 1 of the large wrenches i have bout from there, and they replaced it free. Snapon / macko / mac all charge almost 100.00 for 1 of these wrenches, Harbor frieght 5.00. its a no brainer.

Hope my advice helps ya!
good luck to ya.

TimHay

Occupation
Self employed
I always used to buy cheaper stuff, it still had a life time warrenty. But that is not the point. It is when you break it and are in a bind and have to drive to town to get another or what until Monday moring. Now I am older and can afford to buy from snap- on and mac. I am in no way a machanic but the tools off the truck are by far better and more convienient as the truck comes right to my shop now.
My next purchase is going to be a new snap-on tool box.

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Tim, I agree with everything you stated, nicely put. If you have a Matco dealer around take a look at their boxes, I looked at both before I purchased and I really liked the features and draw sizes of the matco, just my opinion.

TimHay

Occupation
Self employed
I never heard of matco. I am trying to buy the box out of the snap on truck he wanys to up grade it and o think i can get it for 2/3- 1/2 prices.
But thank you iI will google matco and check-em out
Tim