• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tools

rangair94

Start out with what you can afford. You don’t want to be getting out of school owing all that money for tuition, plus another 20-30 grand in tools. When I started out I could barely afford Craftsman, and I didn’t have schooling to pay for. After I changed employers a few times and started working some place the tool trucks actually stopped at, I started upgrading to better tools. I probably spent about 3000 last year on tools.

You can definitely tell the difference in quality from the cheaper ones to the tool truck ones. As far as which brand is better Mac, Matco or Snap On it’s gonna be personal preference. I personally like Snap On ratchets over Mac they feel better to me. Mac offer a lifetime warranty on drill bits Snap On doesn't. There is no right or wrong. It just comes down to what you want to spend, what you want out of it, and so on.

I work out in the field so I don’t want to have to worry that I am going to break a tool and not get the job done, so I feel the tool truck tools are better. On the other hand I have known guys that get everything at Harbor Freight and do the same jobs. It just preference and experience.

And toolboxes, ya they are nice but I don’t think I could ever drop that much money on one. The biggest one that Snap On makes, just the bottom box is like 33,000. I think the wife would kill me if I came home and said "instead of getting a car I bought a toolbox, it was just a little more than a car cost." But my toolbox is a truck so I don’t know.

Dirt Poor

I still have most of the Craftsman tools that I started with in 1971, including the roller cabinet and chest. Mac tools furnish a lot of the specialty tools I need, but for the last few years I have bought some tools from ACE and Truevalue hardwares mostly socket sets, some end wrench's, srewdrivers and find the price is good, warrenty is no problem at all, and I think the quality compares with all but the very hi end tools. I see a lot of VERY expensive tool boxes on Craigslist . I can't imagine who buys these 8 and 9 thou. tool boxes! May be I'm cheap?

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Lots of good advice there, also this topic has come up before if you want to search and read other threads on the subject. I think your wrenches and rachets are going to be like an extension of your body on a busy day, so they have to feel good in your hand.
On the subject of boxes, I have an older box that sits against the wall, and a nice Snappy cart that comes with me all over the shop. I strongly advise the cart route. I use my wrenches rachets and hammer every day. But my pressure tester, 1 inch gun, tap and die, ect. sit patiently by the wall.

P.S I can also tell you a cheap way to get a mobile work stool! mine is yellow.

Attachments

• DSCN1013.jpg
    DSCN1013.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 251

steponmebbbboom

milk crates and upside down 5gallon pails are great work stools til you hit 30 and you realise sitting on hard surfaces all those years are how you got hemmorhoids. the cheapest option for work stools are a blow-molded seat cushion that snaps on top of a plastic 5 gallon pail and conforms to your butt curves. easier on the backside and much cheaper than a snap on creeper seat. an old equipment seat cushion set on top of a pail is even cheaper and you can screw it into the bottom for more stability. good luck

Chris91786

Occupation
CAT HE Technician - Ring Power Corp.
I got my box brand new for only 3 grand cause they Mac guy got a ticket for being over weight and had to move the box:

Attachments

• DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 243

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
stepon, thats a great idea! I thought i was slick grinding the ridges off, but a cushion! now we're talkin'!
yeah sweet box, dig the stainless top.

crossthreaded

Check on the student discount through snap on and mac. Call the tool guy and if they are no help call corporate. Through snap on it is a 51% discount while you are enrolled in school.

I wish I would have bought quite a bit more through the student program, as I only spent around 7k on a good set of hand tools.

After 10 years in heavy duty equipment work, I have over 100k in tools. It can get expensive if you let it, but I also have snap on sockets from 1/4" to 4". Don't get tool poor, buy what you can afford and stay off the tool truck if you can't afford it. I have seen plenty of older mechanics who are chained to the tool truck to the tune of 200-300 a week.

Ebay and pawn shops have good deals as well if you have the cash.

Bigstevex4

if your new to mechanicing especialy students the first thing you do is go buy the biggest snap on tool box thell sell you wont have crap for tools but oh that box is inpressive!

~0le

My only SnapOn tools are ratchets. Everything else is a hodgepodge of flea market finds and Craigslist treasures.

~0le