• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

To dozer or not to dozer

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
The best way to clear it somewhat depends on how it's going to be farmed.

Looking at the pictures it really doesn't look that bad.

buckfever

Hypotheticaly speaking if you ground everything up couldn't you just plow the wood chips in with the topsoil and let them rot?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . You beat me to it mitch504. The country would need heavy applications of nitrogenous fertiliser and lime/dolomite to balance ph . . . probably very expensive in Africa.

With tropical species I believe the mass of a given shrub or tree below the ground can be similar to that above.

This is one of the reasons that when preparing land for farming it is an advantage to remove as much as the root mass as possible and why it is desirable to burn the vegetation mass in place if possible.

Cheers.

buckfever

Look at that, I learned something today. I would of thought letting the wood rot would be good for the soil and help with future planting. Good thing I'm a operator not a farmer.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Look at that, I learned something today. I would of thought letting the wood rot would be good for the soil and help with future planting. Good thing I'm a operator not a farmer.

If one had the time it would amend the soil and add nutrients but like Mitch said it takes time and steals the nitrogen in the process. I learned that one in my Organic Gardening class at Auburn, easiest 4 hour A I got.:tong:D

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
If one had the time it would amend the soil and add nutrients but like Mitch said it takes time and steals the nitrogen in the process. I learned that one in my Organic Gardening class at Auburn, easiest 4 hour A I got.:tong:D

Ag work is just like all work, the best have usually started at the bottom and know the work from top to bottom. In this case the bottom is knowing how to farm:) What most people in construction don't understand about agricultural clearing is the clearing isn't the end game...it's the beginning of a long process.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Thought about this thread after hearing about the land confiscation & violence the farmers put up with ......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5443599/White-South-African-farmers-removed-land.html
Years ago...in the mid/late 90's I worked with a bunch of south African farmers that came over here to study our farming practices. Great bunch of guys with a work ethic that would not quit. I really hope things are going ok for them, and hope to see them all again. I would trade 500 of our "muslim refugees" for two or three of these guys.

td25c

That's my understanding as well RZ . Those Farmers are pretty sharp & resourceful producing food in adverse conditions . Hope you buddy's are ok as well .

My first thought was import the farmers to the States & let South Africa figure out how to feed itself ............

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That's my understanding as well RZ . Those Farmers are pretty sharp & resourceful producing food in adverse conditions . Hope you buddy's are ok as well .

My first thought was import the farmers to the States & let South Africa figure out how to feed itself ............

There is no way I would be allowed to tell the stories I was told here. These guys had 20' electrified fences around their farms... To keep out the wildlife and the lowlife...

td25c

There is no way I would be allowed to tell the stories I was told here. These guys had 20' electrified fences around their farms... To keep out the wildlife and the lowlife...

That alone would be enough to know I'm in the wrong neighborhood . ;)

I'm out of this place ...... You guys figure out how to feed yourself on your own time ...:D

ilovetracks

if it was just stumps some are using the pull grinder that has like a cat c18 that grinds like 18" deep turns everything in