• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

Rusty Grapple

Thunderbird TY90 S/N Y-9067 at work near Cathlamet, Washington in 1991. Setting was in the Cat Creek area on the Elochoman River.
Loading is a new Koehring 6644- a very popular machine with DeBraie and other loggers of that period; DeBraie had several of these.

Attachments

• PICT1012 RG.jpg
    PICT1012 RG.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,208
  • PICT1017 RG.jpg
    PICT1017 RG.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,227

Rusty Grapple

Here's a couple more old pictures of Thunderbird TY-90 S/N Y-9035 seen working on the upper Elochoman River in 1990.
This was the first TY-90 built and sold new to Jerry DeBriae in early 1984. Again, a Koehring 6644 on loading duty.

Attachments

• PICT1009 - A RG.jpg
    PICT1009 - A RG.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,255
  • PICT1015 RG.jpg
    PICT1015 RG.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,242

furpo

Rusty grapple, I am unsure as to when the brake changes occured. I remember Brett Henderson (the hauler guru down here) telling me about a 355 that had been converted because something went wrong with the reversing mechanism. I assume it was this machine so it was done down here. I have possibly seen this machine from a distance before. There was a 355 sitting at an engineers at Taupo earlier this year. This could have been when the new CAT was put in her. Lew has been logging for a long time so my guess is that he is a long time owner of this machine. I understand his son is running the crew.

Scott S

Ok someone told me there was a tsy255 at Portland Modern as well.

That one was most likely mine, we were having the swing bearing replaced a couple of weeks ago. It turned in to a bigger project with some cracks in the frame, a bad idler bearing, cracking swing pinion teeth, $$$$$$...
upper half 255-1.jpg

Back to work with it now.

Scott S

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Got it, guess it's the time of year for T-Birds to get worked on. Found at TY80 all torn apart in Longview the other day.

Rusty Grapple

Does anyone know the S/N of this yarder?The owner is Nielsen Bros. Logging of Sedro Woolley Wa.
View attachment 97063

That would be Y-9045. Sold new in 8/85' to Bob Hild (Pacific Logging at Marysville, Wa). The machine was shipped to Alaska to Hild's 'Alaska Pacific Logging' operations at Craig/Klawock where it stayed until they closed the Alaska operation. Alaska Pacific had several other big yarders in the arsenal up here including another TY-90 or 2 and some Skagit 739's, along with smaller yarders of various shapes and sizes. Bob owned 'Diamond Yarder Manufacturing' (with a couple other people) at the time, and the 2 larger Diamonds (DT-425 and DT-8000) were put to work in Alaska initially as well. Bob also had a couple of partners in Alaska Pacific. Lots of great history and could go on forever! The Alaska Pacific name can still be found around Craig/Klawock and the big beautiful Alaska Pacific Lodge they built at Port Saint Nicholas outside of Craig still shines; I actually enjoyed a short stay there only a month ago on a trip to the Island.

When Alaska Pacific retired the operation, that yarder was sold to Aaron Weaver, and later Dave Nielsen bought it but I think there was an owner between Weaver and Nielsen. I'm almost certain there was but I can't remember who right now.

As you'll notice the tower still reads 'Alaska Pacific' today. I have pics of that machine going back to new, somewhere.
The hoist was purchased new but the Skagit T-100SP was already owned by APL and was rebuilt and painted to match the hoist.
I believe a BU-94 was pulled off that T-100SP to make room for the new TY-90, but can't remember for sure.
The mating and painting operation took place at Coastal Machinery in Marysville which was another Hild-owned enterprise.

Attachments

• Thundrrbird TY-90 at Neilsen Logging 2009 -5.jpg
    Thundrrbird TY-90 at Neilsen Logging 2009 -5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,526
  • Thundrrbird TY-90 at Neilsen Logging 2010 -7 A.jpg
    Thundrrbird TY-90 at Neilsen Logging 2010 -7 A.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,586
Last edited:

Redwood Climber

Could that be a Washington or Allied Feller Buncher?

Nice looking T-Bird TSY-6255SLR

Howdy Mr JeremyM70, I must have gone completely through this Thunderbird thread for at least the 15th time. I always find something new. Any way, on post #52 you have several pictures of a nice looking T'Bird TSY-6255 SLR.........but what is REALLY interesting to me is the fellerbuncher next to it. I can see two sets of tracks.....on the same side of the machine, I believe it is either a Washington feller buncher (they only built two), or the outfit that bought the rights to build it after Washington Iron Works went broke. Allied built a dozen or so of these feller bunchers according to Mr. Grapple. Did you happen to take pictures of it while you were getting pics of the 6255? I would love to see them if you do. I don't know where they'd go, I suppose in the feller buncher thread.......Mr. Grapple did say he would start a new thread dedicated to this feller buncher.....he must be soo busy....I sure would like to see'em if you have any. Thank you Sir.

Last edited:

johnson

Last edited:

johnson

Also the TY-90 records are coming along great,but I'm missing pictures and informations on 10 rigs :
Y-9036
Y-9042
Y-9052
Y-9053
Y-9054
Y-9056
Y-9057
Y-9058
Y-9060
Y-9062

Last edited:

johnson

I found pictures of 2 mistery TY-90 working at Weyco PeEll???

I suspect this one is Y-9057???

00628-1270x2055.jpg
DSC09088-1310x1717.jpg

I don't know or eaven have an idea about the S/N of this yarder

0575-939x714.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I think I've seen the John Deere shovel in the second photo. I think that might be either Willapa logging or Colburn logging. I've heard they are both doing a lot of contracting for the lazy W and Hancock Resources.

LOGDODGER

View attachment 96402View attachment 96401Not sure but has issues . Was being leased by some fools who where trying to log what should have been a good block. Owner repossed his gear after not getting paid. Fools never came back . Left a horrendous mess ,hundreds of tonnes of unpulled wood , rubbish & rope everywhere . Left a loader buried to its counterweight on the landing . Fools got some more iron from somewhere and moved to another job . We have been hired to clean up the mess & finish the block." Leave the S_ _ t we will do it " has been our saying for years.

What are you on about? Looks like cream!