• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thought yall might like these BIG ONES

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Silly question, but is the guarding on the cab left over from a previous mining application or do they serve a purpose in marine use?

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
Silly question, but is the guarding on the cab left over from a previous mining application or do they serve a purpose in marine use?

When I first saw the pictures I too thought it odd that they left the guarding on the cab . Maybe this dredging-on-the-barge thing is for a short time so they thought to just leave it on :beatsme .
Then I started to think that maybe its some kind of sun protection , as working on the water with the reflecting rays would be somewhat brutal . Kinda like working on snow . I did snow removal on a bright and sunny day without sunglasses ( sunnies ? ) and I'm sure I almost did permanant damage to them . They were CRUSTY the next day when I woke up . :Banghead
Anyhow , my guesses . Maybe someone has other explanations ?

Also , I wonder how bad the rust will be if thats salty water . Would like to see more photos of that Liebherr a couple of years from now .

Cheers ,

Rob

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
That guarding is prolly to protect the windows from water splashing if the operator got a good wave of water it will take out the windows.

That is a pretty big dredge unit the size of the spuds on the barge is massive that machine must have some pulling power. It even looks like the spuds are able to be pinned in one spot to use them as stabilizers to keep the barge from rocking and rolling.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
That guarding is prolly to protect the windows from water splashing if the operator got a good wave of water it will take out the windows.

How does the guarding keep a wave from hitting the windows? (I ask, because I think you're barking up the wrong tree there...)

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator

Maybe the company is SERIOUS about getting a full shift from the operator...
or they are using prison labor for operators....
or to protect from shark attack if the barge sinks...
:popcorn

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
It was just a thought.

If you drop the bucket into the water fast enough you could splash water up that high.

I have spent a few years in the marine industry my familly is in the marine freight business I have been around tugs and barges most of my life.

A heavy enough splash of water can take out or crack a window on a boat.

That guarding on the window on the excavator could be for also when they use the excavator for marine construction and lifting long beams etc.

capt_met

my guess would be the guarding is there for osha or some regulatory group. that barge won't see rough seas. no reason to dredge where the rough seas are. and to slam the bucket down hard enough to splash water that high would mean there is another problem. maybe it is to protect from hydraulic lines snapping under pressure and whipping. they do give it a more menacing look.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo

Do you just speak whenever something comes into that simple little mind? At first I thought the comment was in jest but then you try to defend it in another post. If the bars were on the inside then it would give the glass some structural integrity against an outside force but the bars are clearly on the outside. The lifting and such for long objects could be a possibility but to stop water from breaking the glass, come on........:pointhead

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
A heavy enough splash of water can take out or crack a window on a boat.

I don't doubt that. It's just that the guarding won't keep any of the water from hitting the window. It's a liquid... ;)

wrenchbender

Hey Countryboy, You think maybe you could talk them fellers into letting me borrow that for just a little while. My pond needs cleaning out and I promise not to sink it!!

Countryboy

Occupation
Heres some pics of an older 995 called the "Jay Cashman". There is also some spec sheets listed below:

Spec Sheet 1
Spec Sheet 2

The pics came from this site, an awsome site with lots of demo. Props go to these guys for taking pictures of what they do.

BIG 995.jpg

BIG 995 2.jpg

BIG 995 3.jpg

BIG 995 4.jpg

BIG 995 5.jpg

Countryboy

Occupation
Hey Countryboy, You think maybe you could talk them fellers into letting me borrow that for just a little while. My pond needs cleaning out and I promise not to sink it!!

A pond might be a little to big of a job for it to handle. :D

Lashlander

If I had to venture a guess on the guards I'd say its for when your dumping into a dump barge. The barge will be full of runny material and you dump a full bucket of sticky material in it will splash huge chunks of mud everywhere. I've broke windshields on cranes that way with a clam bucket.

Oh ya, cool pics Countryboy.:thumbsup

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
If I had to venture a guess on the guards I'd say its for when your dumping into a dump barge. The barge will be full of runny material and you dump a full bucket of sticky material in it will splash huge chunks of mud everywhere. I've broke windshields on cranes that way with a clam bucket.

Now that makes since. Thanks for the insight Lash.

So what is that big clamshell attached to........(subtle reverse psychology to see more pics):D