• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The suck bucket

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
brain storm

sometimes one sees a photo and gives an instant memory recall. That
slid me back 50yrs ago in high school in science class. Aint that called
an aspriator? This will be on my today list. "simple tools work best"
good thinking.

Autocar

Thats a cool invention I just had a job the other day trying to dab oil out of some threaded bolt holes in a block. I will make me one of those,good old American ingenuity Atcoequip !

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thats a cool invention I just had a job the other day trying to dab oil out of some threaded bolt holes in a block. I will make me one of those,good old American ingenuity Atcoequip !

You'll find it to be a handy shop tool Autocar. Like when your changing a water pump on an engine, even though you've drained the coolant, there always seems to be a port on the block for pump that keeps dripping some coolant which would foul up the sealant for new pump gasket. Stick the suck bucket hose in that ornery port and suck it dry. No more coolant problem. :)

oarwhat

I have one of those topsiders and they are a pain in the a??. You have to keep pumping and pumping and did I say pumping? I love Atcos idea.
They do make the something like Atcos for drywall sanding. You put water in the bottom of the bucket and the 1/2" hose extends to just above the water. I use for any heavy duty sanding on my boat or wherever to keep it dust free it also keeps most of the dust out of your shop vac. Randy

Hendrik

I have one of those topsiders and they are a pain in the a??. You have to keep pumping and pumping and did I say pumping? I love Atcos idea.
I know people who have made their own version out of various bits and pieces, with varying success but it seems that the type of tubing used is important. Too small inside diameter and it will take forever, too big outside diameter and you can't get it into the tight spots, if the wall of the tubing is too thin it will collapse with the vacuum, especially if it sucking out hot oil.
I tried making one out of a ten liter plastic jerry can but the tubing I used was too small.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
They do make the something like Atcos for drywall sanding. You put water in the bottom of the bucket and the 1/2" hose extends to just above the water. I use for any heavy duty sanding on my boat or wherever to keep it dust free it also keeps most of the dust out of your shop vac. Randy

I am putting a transom in my Glastron and that dust from the fiberglass is doing a job on my shop vac filter.Wish I had thought of this solution earlier.Ron G

oarwhat

Hey Ron if you do use one for dust change the water often. It depends on how much dust you're making as to the time. I was sanding my bottom paint (mega dust) and had to change it every hour or so. If you don't the dust gets really thick on the surface of the water and incoming dust just bounces off and into the shop vac. You won't believe the amount of dust the water collects. Randy

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I am nearly done with the sanding,I have the floor fitted and just need to remove some paint around the perimeter for the resin to bond to.I am trying to figure out a way to do that without sanding. I wonder if the nylon string from a weed wacker would work if I attached it to my Rotozip?I am working outside so I can dodge some of the dust at times.Ron G

bremery

I ran across this thread last weekend and decided to put it into action to drain the diesel out of the tank on my Scat Trak mini excavator. (fuel strainer fell off in the tank and the machine was sucking in sludge from the bottom of the tank). It pulled 5 gallons of fuel of of the tank and into the bucket very quickly. I was suprised on how much 'suck' this setup could produce. Made quick work of a dirty project. Another kudos to the members of heavy equipment forum for sharing their experiences!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I ran across this thread last weekend and decided to put it into action to drain the diesel out of the tank on my Scat Trak mini excavator. (fuel strainer fell off in the tank and the machine was sucking in sludge from the bottom of the tank). It pulled 5 gallons of fuel of of the tank and into the bucket very quickly. I was suprised on how much 'suck' this setup could produce. Made quick work of a dirty project. Another kudos to the members of heavy equipment forum for sharing their experiences!

LoL...and so easy to make one ain't it bro. ;)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok, the suck bucket comes in handy once again. Boss wanted me to check out a Cat 963 we've had on the yard for some time, just haven't had a chance to get to it. While checking fluids, I pulled the dipstick for the transmission drive unit (fill pipe on left) and noticed it was overfull. Didn't think a great deal about it at the moment, oil was clean and clear, figured someone overfilled it because you couldn't really see it good on the dipstick. Then I noticed the sight glass on hydrostat drive didn't have any oil showing in sight glass. Proceeded to pour oil into hydrostat unit (fill pipe on right) until it was up to level. Then, I noticed it was slowly going down. What! Tell me it ain't so!

The suck bucket 019.jpg

Grabbed the suck bucket, stuck hose down the fill pipe for tranny drive unit, sucked out 3 1/2 to 4 gal of oil in moments.

The suck bucket 020.jpg

Stuck dipstick down tube, noted oil level. Waited a few moments, checked again, oil level had risen on dipstick. Waited a few moments, check again, continued to rise. Did this several times, oil level kept rising in tranny drive unit. Not good. Came to two conclusions; 1) probable shaft seal failure between tranny drive unit and hydrostat drive unit allowing migration of oil between the two, not good, big project, and 2) hey, at least the suck bucket works good! :D

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
:notworthy :notworthy You are a Legend ATCO :notworthy :notworthy
I don't know how many times I've gone past this thread & never looked ....
glad I did this time :thumbsup

Maybe there should be a new reference area on homepage for this kind of stuff......

Handy Hints ?
Great Ideas ?
Tool Tips ?
Guru Gadgets ?
Workshop Wonders ?

:drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
:notworthy :notworthy You are a Legend ATCO :notworthy :notworthy
I don't know how many times I've gone past this thread & never looked ....
glad I did this time :thumbsup

Maybe there should be a new reference area on homepage for this kind of stuff......

Handy Hints ?
Great Ideas ?
Tool Tips ?
Guru Gadgets ?
Workshop Wonders ?

:drinkup

Well alrman, I'm confident the "suck bucket" will serve you well as it has been a very useful tool for me. ;)

As for the second part, a section for these type of tips, tools, gadgets, ideas, well...as a matter of fact, I've been discussing this with the adminstrators about this very subject. We'll see how it works out. :)