• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The lost art of slot dozing!

nicky 68a

On the sand banks we use the D8's to slot doze all the time making sure to keep the front low enough to help the weight of the dozer push more with very little effort in bottom gear and not too steep so the dozer struggles to reverse.In 9 working hours the D8H's can use as little as 300 litres of fuel.Obviously on other applications they will sup another 100 litres for the same shift on soil or clay.
On topsoil stripping with D8's we tend to start at the back first as starting at the front first means risking subsoil contamination especially if it's abit soft and you risk not being able to strip all the site.It's handy to leave as much grass sod on as you can untill the last minuit.

Attachments

• party solan 166.jpg
    party solan 166.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,094
  • sheds 016.jpg
    sheds 016.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,086

nicky 68a

The d8's cut down about a meter or more in the slots before taking the windrows out from the back.Some times the D5 comes up later in the afternoon to clean up abit to leave a highwall on the edge for the night so the D8's dont have to fanny about hoovering up all the last bits.
I generally go down once a month to check up so allways get a few pics if only to see them grading the haulroad as in this pic.

Attachments

• Rowswood Timber 2008 081.jpg
    Rowswood Timber 2008 081.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,092

Randy88

gusbratz, nice photo, but what was the project they were moving material for, open pit mine??

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I will "slot doze" while stripping. I will strip perpendicular to my slots and make small pipes in line with my slots. Then get on top the piles and slot doze them down to the stock pile. But with the heavy clay we have out here its pretty easy to strip front to back in a slot. No one out here knows anything about slot dozing, but it isn't always the best out here. A lot of the time your trying to dry things out while working the dirt/mud, so slot dozing can cause you problems down the road.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Pictures are fun, but so are videos..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDFduzDAyhc

This particular time, the 10 was pushing two blade fulls down to the end of his slot, where there was already another pile. There had been a grading change, so they had to build out the slope, hence the D8t sitting at the end of the pile. On an average day, the operator was moving 2500 yards a day in a 9 hour shift. This included the time required to clean up windrows.

vapor300

I dont know if there is a big difference between a S/U and a U blade in a slot push but it does feel like you can push more if the machine has the dual tilt cylinders so that you can carry the dirt.

On the current job I am on now it cost us around $3 a yard to move the material with hoe and trucks, when we can push the dirt it cost us just under a $1

JDOFMEMI

Your hourly rate must be through the roof for it to cost $1.00 per yard pushing that short.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . JDOFMEMI. Old feller I worked with way back reckoned it was twenty cent dirt at fifty feet, forty cents at a hundred and so on . . . when it was all averaged out over the whole job the old bugger was always pretty right.

Cheers.

vapor300

Dont know our hourly rate, was just told that all the dirt i pushed one day cost under a $1 a yard to move.

dozerman400

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Hello HEF friends,

As some of you know, I am not a fan of slot dozing unless your close to obstacles that need to remain in place. I like starting at the highest point first then the farthest point back. I will start closer to the fill area if there is a deep cut and work my way back. But I don't like hitting the same path 2 times in a row,I'll move over a blade and a half and take a new cut. After a few cuts I will start centering the windrows and cutting (boiling over the sides) all the way to the fill area.

The operators that just slot doze and don't boil over some material are only moving 1 blade at a time and everything else stays put. When you boil material all the way to the fill area, you got your blade full and your boiling over material from where it was to 5 feet closer to the fill area as it is falling off your blade on every pass. You will have less trips back and forth with this method verses slot dozing. Less trips, less time, less fuel. $$$.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Dozerman400. I think you should stop and read up on the subject . . . slot dozing moves at least two bladefulls at a time. If the dirt is boiling it means your digging and you should only dig for maybe a tractor length or so each push.

It is obvious you have no understanding of the concept and, like a lot of "would be" operators are too set in your ways to consider some re-education.

Cheers.

td25c

I thought about this thread the other day as I was working in slots...... Pushing snow off the driveway:) It seems to help even in the white stuff;)...... The dog was happy with the job:D

Attachments

• first snow dec 6 2013 008.JPG
    first snow dec 6 2013 008.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 849

AustinM

Hello HEF friends,

As some of you know, I am not a fan of slot dozing unless your close to obstacles that need to remain in place. I like starting at the highest point first then the farthest point back. I will start closer to the fill area if there is a deep cut and work my way back. But I don't like hitting the same path 2 times in a row,I'll move over a blade and a half and take a new cut. After a few cuts I will start centering the windrows and cutting (boiling over the sides) all the way to the fill area.

The operators that just slot doze and don't boil over some material are only moving 1 blade at a time and everything else stays put. When you boil material all the way to the fill area, you got your blade full and your boiling over material from where it was to 5 feet closer to the fill area as it is falling off your blade on every pass. You will have less trips back and forth with this method verses slot dozing. Less trips, less time, less fuel. $$$.

I don't think you've ever truly slot dozed dozerman. Or perhaps you have, but just aren't sure how to explain it. It will become very clear once it has been done right that slot dozing will move way more dirt faster than any other way because it traps the dirt in front of your blade, material you DON'T see while you're pushing it but you know is there. Yeah, you may be moving some material 5' closer by boiling it over the side, but what you are missing is that the head of material is way longer in front of your blade when you are slot dozing. Material doesn't need to be boiling over the top of the blade and no material is boiling off the side. Guys that are good at it don't boil it over. They start cutting until they can see it at the top of the blade and leave it there until the end of the pass.

If you ever got into a position where you could work side by side with an operator truly slot dozing, you will see it. You would have to move the machine in the same gears. Back up in 2nd, push in 1st or 2nd. The slot dozer will move more dirt.

Last edited:

Oxbow

You will have less trips back and forth with this method verses slot dozing. Less trips, less time, less fuel. $$$.

Dozerman400, I think the point that many of us are trying to make is in regard to the last sentence in your post. Less trips does not necessarily mean less time, nor less fuel for that matter. I believe that one could even argue that undercarriage wear is less despite traveling more distance as the pressure on components is reduced.

Slot dozing might be worth a try! :drinkup

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I thought Dozermans post was a joke...:beatsme

JDOFMEMI

I thought Dozermans post was a joke...:beatsme

Well, he certainly livened up the thread!

I have worked side by side with guys with a very similar attitude to his, and despite being asked, told, and explained how I wanted it, they were set in their ways and would not listen. I was on a job with a 30 year experienced operator, both of us on D-10N's, and both tractors apparently equal to each other. We were sloping a waste pile about 120 ft tall from the angle of repose to a 2.5:1 slope.

I slot dozed, in an advancing wedge shape, so the beginning of the cut was a short slot, and about 5 slots behind was the one that finally got to grade and stretched to the toe. Each slot was cut to about blade height on the low side, and each one got deeper into the cut until the final one was at grade. Each of these slots was running downhill at the ultimately desired 2.5:1 slope.

The other operator refused to do it my way, and created his slope by making long passes from the top to the bottom each time, and cleaning up windrows as he went, even when there was 20 more feet of cut. He explained how much better of a job he was doing, because his "looked finished" all the time. My cut looked like a bombing range until the last pass when it all came together.

I was the job foreman, as well as the D-10 operator, so I ended up only getting 6 to 7 hours per 10 hour shift in the machine. The thing was, when I started measuring the daily production, I was producing 30 to 40 percent MORE, even while working 7 hours to his 10. We were working separate areas of the same pile, and leapfrogging one another as a section was finished. The pile was nearly 2 miles long. When the other guy noticed I was placing a stake at the starting points for each of us, the next day I noticed his measurement was the same as mine. I suspected funny business going on, so the next day, I put the stakes out, then put another set over the hill out of sight to check. At the end of the day, his stake had been moved a couple hundred feet to make it look like he did more work. At that point, I decided I did not need him any longer and finished the job myself, as it was costing nearly double for the work he was doing.

I have many times on jobs measured the piles in front of a blade per the directions in the Cat Performance Handbook in order to verify production of different machines. When I measured the pile I was moving in the slot, downhill at a 2.5:1 slope, I was amazed at the volume. I checked a few piles, and checked my calcs based on many times doing the same thing, and I found I was pushing close to 90 cubic yards per pass. I can't recall how many feet in front of the blade the pile stretched, but it was a really amazing pile for a D-10 to push. The material was perfect for this, wet crushed rock with enough binder to pile up and also afford great traction.

I have never since pushed in such ideal conditions, but the production advantage is there regardless of the conditions, unless there is a compelling reason for another method like Alco pushing down a shovel face. In some material while placing compacted fill with nothing but a dozer, you need to roll the material to mix the moisture into it, so spreading out each pass is needed, and I am sure there are others, but to bulk push material, a good hand slot dozing the right way will outwork any other method.