• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The FULL Story..

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Had customer bring in their 89 Volvo for drive shoes. He comes back six days later complaining of a air leak that wasn't there before I worked on it. I noticed the air leak
was at the back of the cab and it had a newly installed fire extinguisher hanging on the back of the cab. he had drilled a hole dead center of the supply hose going to the
pressure protection valve mounted inside of rear cab. It had a 1/4" bolt going through it with a nut on the inside of cab interior.o_O

Truck Shop
So did you put a rubber washer on each side of the hose to fix the leak?:p

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
One of the best I recall was a customer with a twin engine Wabco scraper. Two weeks earlier I replaced A shift solenoid on that machine, he was all growly and said everything quit working. I asked if the trans was full of oil... I could hear the eyes roll over the phone and he snaps "my guys are smarter than that". So I drive across 2 counties and start the front engine... no main pressure, shut it down and check the oil level, bone dry dipstick. So I wait while dipstick puts 16 gallons of oil in the hole. Started the engine and followed the oil stream from the belly pan to the top fitting on the main pressure line. A new o-ring and shes good to go.
I'm putting stuff away while Mr. "operator" charges off to try his new toy. as I get on the main road I get another pissy call saying things are still not right and the machine wont load...
I drive back up the rabbit path to the machine... And started the rear engine. "does it work better now?". This "it's all somebody else's fault attitude" Got Mr. "super operator" fired a few weeks later when I came unhinged on his know nothing boss over another similar scenario. Rear trans harness had shorted and was applying an extra clutch in 3rd gear and he just powered through it and said it was connected to the solenoid I had replaced. I did the autopsy for free with the stipulation they paid me if I was in the right. Guess who won?

Cmark

Just this week, complaint of a low voltage warning coming up on the display. Arrive on site; "yeah, if I sit in the cab with the ignition on and engine off, after a while it says Low Voltage"

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just this week, complaint of a low voltage warning coming up on the display. Arrive on site; "yeah, if I sit in the cab with the ignition on and engine off, after a while it says Low Voltage"
Maybe you can help diagnose the problem with my Rav4? After I drive a around 4 hundred miles on a full tank of gas the low fuel indicator comes on! Any idea of what might be causing that?:confused:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Latest in a pile of f'ups..
Truck comes into the shop 4 WEEKS AGO!! Its a PILE of junk & I MEAN J U N K.. {6.5l}
Last time it was in, after 3 injection pumps, YES 3.. were put on it cuz it wouldn't time w/ the computer..the key way for the crank was wallowed out & the guy "was gonna" sell it.. just wanted it to run to the auction..
The key way hole was filled w/ Devcon & a new key installed.. put back together & out the door it went..
Fast forward 2 years & its back.. SAME OWNER.. he filled the tank w/ ??? & the filters in the tank were stopped up.. Drained the tank, changed the filter & still ran like crap.. CUT the steel lines & fabbed in a gauge to check the fuel pressure.. Don't ask me WHY they didn't use the pressure tap on the engine??
So this DA grabs a 1/2" hose & smooshs it onto a 5/16' line w/ hose clamps.. STILL no fuel pressure..
3.. YES 3.. electric lift pumps later.. "someone" walks out & see's the "test hose" he's using.. changes the hose to the proper diameter & MIRACULASLY theres fuel pressure & the problem is fixed.. THIS TOOK 4 WEEKS..!!!!! GOD, I gotta get outta there..

Truck Shop

One for the pump guy. Fellow stops in with his BCIII no power and getting worse. He had Cummins work on it twice plus two other shops. One rebuilt pump plus removed and checked twice,
One set of injectors plus removed and checked twice, over heads run four times, one turbo, four fuel filters and a few other items. I disconnected the return line and ran it in a bucket- swollen
damn near shut. Replaced it-power out the a$$.

Truck Shop

DIYDAVE

Back when I was working at the local turf farm, about 20+years ago, I was the mechanic that kept several balky old machines running, including an old international forklift, and a ford 3000 sod harvester(Brower), the boss lady had a "mechanic" on call, second guessing all of my conclusions. I would say bad hyd pump, and he gets a call. No flow meter, he tells by "feel"... I told the boss, call the ford dealer, and get them to come out and check with their flow and pressure tester. Guess who was proven right...

Another time, this guy decides to do an in frame overhaul on the crappy diesel motor (english ford). I decided to have some fun with him, as he was underneath, "feeling the crank", for wear, every once in a while, I would surreptitiously drop a piece of ball bearing, piston ring, or other misc iron part, down through the piston holes, right into his face... Had him scratching his great wooly head, for about 4 hours, that day.

when working on a loss of power steering problem, on the IH forklift, I stopped by the IH dealer, and found in their files, a recall letter, that mentioned a burr that developed in the valve bank, and I suggested taking a break cyl hone, to it, to de-burr that particular valve hole, and viola, as the french say, he "comes up" with the same advice. OK, he steals my ideas, and overcharges her for his work, its war now, I says to meself...

So one day she calls him to put a new starter rope, on an ancient arctic cat snowmobile, that she knew I wouldn't work on, cause I knew it had a bad carb, and wouldn't start, anyway(that particular carb, and kits were NLA, from the dealer...). Anyway, I saw him take off the 16 or 18 bolts, that were in the housing, watched him thread the rope around the starter spring assembly, and re assemble the 16 or 18 bolts back to tight, on the shroud in question. As he is tightening up the last bolt (I could have told him my next observation, at bolt # 1, but chose to withhold my advice, per HIS instructions), I ask him, "Shouldn't the rope, go through the grommet and not under the shroud?" He stopped coming around, and the old junkers were much better for it...:eek::eek:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I watched 4 of our guys stand around a small Cat gen that wouldn't turn over a few days ago. Apparently the other field tech told them some time prior to pop out the injectors and check if the cylinders were hydro locked. When they finally got it turned over and cranking it sprayed sooty water all over the machine in the next bay. Lucky they didn't bend a rod continually bumping the starter.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
YUP.. oil leak..
we "might" be able to slow it down but we're not gonna be able to stop it from leaking entirely".. lol

thepumpguysc

Occupation
AT LEAST you got a "write-up".. My IDIOT guy takes a pump in, talks to the customer for 20 minutes & I get paperwork that says, "calibration check" "test & advise".. NOW what the hell am I checking for?? Low power, leaks, hard start, run away?? WHAT?? YOU TALKED to THE CUSTOMER FOR 20 MINUTES!!!!
OH & to top it off.. the #'s are wrong on the paperwork!!!!
HE has 3 jobs that are imperative to MY JOB.. TALK to the customer & find out WHAT the problem is..
WRITE DOWN the #'s ON THE PUMP.. Make a JOB TICKET & give it to the mechanic.. IN A TIMELY manner.. I'll see a pump come in at 9AM.. I wont get a ticket on it until 4PM.!!!! All the while he's playin w/ his phone all day & taking 2 hr lunches..
Dammit, I just ruined my Saturday morning..