• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex Power.

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
A couple of TS-14/ TS-18 tandem scraper units prior to the Spring refurbishment and field tests.

Attachments

• 101_0433.jpg
    101_0433.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 7,202

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
After a long winter's nap.

Attachments

• 101_0435.jpg
    101_0435.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 7,363
  • 101_0436.jpg
    101_0436.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 7,166

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
good grief! i can hear them from here.

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
I do have some very good video, and actually had it put on cd, but I'm computer illiterate and will need help. I'll try to get it done tomorrow. Video will show what (3) TS-18's can produce on a short haul. Quite impressive being pushed by a Cat D8R.

Anyway, here's a few of the guys stripping 'em down, removing the un-necessary baggage.... IE: air tanks, brake manifolds, etc. We're replacing hoses, nylon air lines, looming everything, new seats, re-sealing valves, etc. The normal 10 yr maintenance stuff.

Attachments

• 101_0495.jpg
    101_0495.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 7,120

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
I do have some very good video, and actually had it put on cd, but I'm computer illiterate and will need help. I'll try to get it done tomorrow. Video will show what (3) TS-18's can produce on a short haul. Quite impressive being pushed by a Cat D8R.

Anyway, here's a few of the guys stripping 'em down, removing the un-necessary baggage.... IE: air tanks, brake manifolds, etc. We're replacing hoses, nylon air lines, looming everything, new seats, re-sealing valves, etc. The normal 10 yr maintenance stuff.

What size are the tyres? They look small for 29.5 x29's if they are :confused:

excavator22

When you guys get a chance that would be cool to see some video's. Love to see and hear those machines in action. There is nothin like the sound and smells of diesel's!

Steve

kenworth

Occupation
Jack of a Few Trades, Master of None
Its cool to see you guys giving these old machines some love. I'm sure they will work great. It sounds like you have a good plan for making them live on.
Thanks for sharing.
Gary

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
I don't know how you get production with those old, slow machines.

spoken like a man who has never run one. far from slow. if i had to own scrapers, to move dirt in illinois, i would own nothing but ts-14's

BigIron25

Just look at McAninch's set up, they move some serious dirt with cats pulling cans. theyll move dirt in any soil condition when rubber tired scrapers are sitting to wait for the ground to dry up. I believe that production is actually increased with this set up and they will have a project done far before a company with a large fleet of rubber tired rigs. not to mention, if they remove the blade that reduces UC wear on the long haul. rocks, muck, clay etc etc... piece of cake. they even have a few D11's with this set up i believe.

BigIron25

hahaha, sorry guys posted that on the wrong thread... guess i should only read one thread at a time.

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
I don't know how you get production with those old, slow machines.

Ya know, I don't know how we get production either. I guess that I'm just a glutton for punishment................. after 75 years of family company history, and currently 3rd generation owner, I still don't know the score.:notworthy........... but we don't have any bank-notes and are still "knocking our heads against the wall," :Banghead ... chugging away with worn out stuff that can't compete with new technology (mostly air conditioners and stereos)............... Hmmmmmmmmm.;)

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Nice little vid there Jason. Looks like that second scraper took a bit of a jolt, but thats what happens on scraper shows!
A word of advise for your cat skinner- keep the blade up higher and make contact with the scraper on the cutting edge, insted of the center of the blade. By doing that, the slam between the two machines will be reduced because the Cat will kinda slide down at the first bit of contact. Then he can drop the blade into float, or apply some down pressure to help get the can in the ground a little more.

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
You are correct, JTL. That is good advice. But in fairness, the guy running the D8R was a finish hand, not really a push-cat operator. He was just "filling-in" a vacancy, and really did not want the job.:)

Wolf

Nice little vid there Jason. Looks like that second scraper took a bit of a jolt, but thats what happens on scraper shows!
A word of advise for your cat skinner- keep the blade up higher and make contact with the scraper on the cutting edge, insted of the center of the blade. By doing that, the slam between the two machines will be reduced because the Cat will kinda slide down at the first bit of contact. Then he can drop the blade into float, or apply some down pressure to help get the can in the ground a little more.

Takes a skillful operator to get production out of an old machine like that, but that makes it even more of a challenge. Rise to the occasion.

You analysis Jason is very impressive. He should follow your advice and do even better on that machine.

What you been up to lately anyhow, boy. What kind of jobs you got going now, Jason. Any good stories? Kills?