• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TEREX backhoes

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
I have a soft spot for the Old Massey's followed he for a good number of years and given need for a rubber tyred backhoe the Terex would be number one.Those diggers are descendants with a great pedigree ,the last one I owned is still working all be it with tin cancer around the cab but the engine ( a 248 Perkins) still runs sweetly, has had a couple of hyd pumps due to the rigid drive off the crankshaft pulley,as for the trans and brakes still original and now she has over 15000hrs on her.The front axle is Zf and has had some work done to it .The transmission is a Massey based design and if serviced properly will give years of service.

Stock

OffDIGGIN

I have a soft spot for the Old Massey's followed he for a good number of years and given need for a rubber tyred backhoe the Terex would be number one.Those diggers are descendants with a great pedigree ,the last one I owned is still working all be it with tin cancer around the cab but the engine ( a 248 Perkins) still runs sweetly, has had a couple of hyd pumps due to the rigid drive off the crankshaft pulley,as for the trans and brakes still original and now she has over 15000hrs on her.The front axle is Zf and has had some work done to it .The transmission is a Massey based design and if serviced properly will give years of service.

Stock

my old massey had 10,000 hr. when she finally gave up the gost.
heres a pic

Attachments

• 000_0007.jpg
    000_0007.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,502

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
A 60hxs ??? with a 4236 perkins turbo

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
I always liked the looks of the Massey's like the H series very meat and potatos type machines

jimmyjack

nice massey , i ran one just like that when i was 18 and just startin in this work....i didnt really like it at the time but i cant think of anything that was wrong with the machine in the 3 years i worked there.....that machine was 2 stick, what are massey 4 stick:beatsme that like ford 4 stick

Duke

A few years ago i was in a 115 new holland and the cab seemed real small, I rememeber i couldnt swing my feet around to the back like normal and i only wear an 11 boot. They may have changed the cab by now.

The LB115's are a tough find. I found one last month loaded with everything I wanted. Sold before I had a chance to offer on it. Beautiful, loaded, huge machine. :Banghead
`

OffDIGGIN

nice massey , i ran one just like that when i was 18 and just startin in this work....i didnt really like it at the time but i cant think of anything that was wrong with the machine in the 3 years i worked there.....that machine was 2 stick, what are massey 4 stick:beatsme that like ford 4 stick

A lot oof the guys that dig footings run them your hands do the same thing as
2 stick. we made them at the dealer

--------------2 stick-----[]----------[]

-------- 4 stick--------[]----[]-----[]----[]
----------------------boom slew dipper bucket

Last edited:

jimmyjack

A lot oof the guys that dig footings run them your hands do the same thing as
2 stick. we made them at the dealer

--------------2 stick-----[]----------[]

-------- 4 stick--------[]----[]-----[]----[]
----------------------boom slew dipper bucket

thanks .....

hey got any more pics of the massey

OffDIGGIN

hey drag1line did you my pics. heres onr I forgot its my kobelco.
I had old to new massey-kobelco-terex.

Attachments

• 100_0091.jpg
    100_0091.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,687
Last edited:

OffDIGGIN

thanks its my old truck that i lost rod out the side of the block.
85 pete short hood 290"wb the bed was 20' flat w/7' beaver tail + ramps
wish I still had it but I was so busy when it happend no time to get new motor
so I bougtht a new pete.

volvobl

Being a bit of a history buff here is more than you want to know about them.
The machine is a spin off from the Old Massey Fergusen company of Manchester England. After Massey got out of it, it was privately owned as Fermac. Kobelco actually sold them in NA under the name TLK. Then Case bought the company. Kobelco got out of the agreement. Fiat bought Case...EU made Case sell the company..and Terex STOLE it. Today Terex is the owner of the whole shooten match. Terex is listed on the US stock exchange and yes, a US Company.
Beyond that a decent machine that uses the same basic components as most others Carraro drive train and similar or same hydraulics. Have run several. Latest ones are better than earlier as the EU uses the TLB's as loaders first and TLB's second. Hydraulic system had to be changed for North America, where we use them more for Backhoes.
Some early versions had Dan Foss electronic controls..Stay away from those.
Good Luck

yes those were a nightmare electronic controls i drove 1 mf865 and ated it id prefered the older 60hx

volvobl

:tongi drove a few mf 50d 's stay away from them as they had 2 pedals as torque push one to go forward and the other to go backward naw the 50hx was a good machine in its day and they bought out the ones with 5 speed it had a button on the dash to put into 5 speed for extra travel speed they had a dash in the front and a little dash on the left han of the cab for your rpms and keys the 60hxs was my machine of the mf they were evrything in 91 i was still in school then but with dad all the time they were fast on the road close to a 40k box but not quite it was like the same speed as the 3000 series massey tractors then i drove the first 860 in 93 off the trailer here in mid wales the guy my dad was doing some driving for was the only guy to have one then. They were a very good machine but he had quite a lot of faults on it when bought it new all the backend pipes were layed out like a 1960 machine and kept rubbing and bursting until they put them in a tramline with a rack to hold them but was a good machine allround i was going to buy a 98 model a few years ago and not a jcb cos the mf was better on the land and at the time it was in very good condition when fermec came out 99/00 theyd changed the cab design it wasnt that bad to look at but they had a electric switch for evrything i found even had adjusted the seat to proper position the levers were hitting my legs so the seat had to back a bit and youd have to bend your back more but we are all different i do feel from fermec to terex the terex has tried to modify things but only for the worse theyve made the front end lighter and just does wheelies when the 3ft digging bucket is on the back im not running them down but they should of kept the fermec going and just changed the name they are not bad of a machine at all still copatible with the case and other brands. On a lighter note mf has been making backhoes for 60 years naw and to celebrate theyve made a silver terex 860 limited edition and showing lots of demonstration shows to show it off.

ClayShifter

Occupation
Heavy plant operator, Imerys Minerals.
We have a 01 or 02 fermec 760 which was the year before they were bought by terex. Theres never been any problems with it, and its done all we have asked of it. The price is usually alot less then the other brands.

Best of the bunch there !

I had a 2000 860 Fermec which to this day was the best backhoe I've ever driven.
Sadly Terex fiddled with the recipe and changes the fantastic Danfoss hydraulic system for the cheaper Husco set up and completely ruined it (imho)

We had a 2003 760 which after a lot of trouble in and out of the factory trying to sort the hydraulic problems was swapped by Terex for a 2003 860se, and it was still no match for my Fermec !

They've now swapped to the Rexroth system, but have spent so much time tinkering with the hydraulics and no time on machine development, the Terex is now very dated compared to the new 3cx and Cat machines.

Last edited: