• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TEREX backhoes

Duke

Anyone have opinions? Please, no kids.

I need real world experience- may have found a backhoe with exactly what features I want, but it's a T-REX. I was looking at the usual suspects-Case, CAT, Deere, etc.

Is TEREX an American company? I noticed the machine I'm looking at is made in England.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
I think you should stick to Case, Cat or JD. Terex is on par with Volvo for being clunky. Around here they are rarer than hens teeth. There are not nearly as many dealers to support the product as Case, Cat or JD. For example Terex has 3 dealers in Ontario Canada so far apart you could not drive to all 3 in a day. Case has 7 dealers within 1 hour of my house. Terex only has 11 dealers in all of California. You will pay more for the other 3 brands but for good reason.

Duke

I think you should stick to Case, Cat or JD. Terex is on par with Volvo for being clunky. Around here they are rarer than hens teeth. There are not nearly as many dealers to support the product as Case, Cat or JD. For example Terex has 3 dealers in Ontario Canada so far apart you could not drive to all 3 in a day. Case has 7 dealers within 1 hour of my house. Terex only has 11 dealers in all of California. You will pay more for the other 3 brands but for good reason.

That's a good observation, but I do have 2 or 3 Terex dealers within short or reasonable driving distance of me. Like you said, not as many as CAT Case or Deere, but enough to make me feel secure.

They do look a little clunky, but their prices are lower because they don't hold resale value like the "big 3". I know that's also a disadvantage, but I need all the machine I can get for the money.

hvy 1ton

I know OffDiggin has a terex backhoe with sideshift that he uses to dig footings and what not. I'm pretty sure he has had it a while, so if he doesn't find this thread soon i would shoot him a pm to bring his attention to it.

I can't speak for there quality, comfort, or reliably it but i like the 970s with the 4 wheel steer, big front tires, and a sideshift hoe. I don't know how it would work for you, but it would be perfect for my uses.

jca57jd

Ive operated a tx970 before and it was extremely smooth. besides that the only other backhoe ive ran was the jd 310. Alls i can say is based of off my experince i would take the terex before the jd! Allot of guys around me eather use th jd or case. Good luck on purchase

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Terex Resale

Well if you have 3 Terex dealers close by parts should not be a problem for you. As far as the resale value...that doesn't mean a whole lot if you plan on keeping this machine till you run it into the ground. A good resale value only helps you if you flip machines every 2-4 years. I can't tell you much about how they run...have only seen one in our territory so far. The guy who bought it was a die hard Case fanatic. He says it works great but he's not a high production type guy. He digs septics, some small jobs, foundations. Good luck.

pwrstroke6john

We have a 01 or 02 fermec 760 which was the year before they were bought by terex. Theres never been any problems with it, and its done all we have asked of it. The price is usually alot less then the other brands.

drag1line

Being a bit of a history buff here is more than you want to know about them.
The machine is a spin off from the Old Massey Fergusen company of Manchester England. After Massey got out of it, it was privately owned as Fermac. Kobelco actually sold them in NA under the name TLK. Then Case bought the company. Kobelco got out of the agreement. Fiat bought Case...EU made Case sell the company..and Terex STOLE it. Today Terex is the owner of the whole shooten match. Terex is listed on the US stock exchange and yes, a US Company.
Beyond that a decent machine that uses the same basic components as most others Carraro drive train and similar or same hydraulics. Have run several. Latest ones are better than earlier as the EU uses the TLB's as loaders first and TLB's second. Hydraulic system had to be changed for North America, where we use them more for Backhoes.
Some early versions had Dan Foss electronic controls..Stay away from those.
Good Luck

Turbo21835

Not a bad machine as long as you are the only operator. Uncle has one on his farm. It was one of the first Terex backhoes, as noted by the fact that it was painted as a fermec, then repainted at the factory as a terex. It is a 760. Smooth machine. I would recommend staying away from the skid steer style coupler for the front bucket. Dealer replaced ours within 300 hours. It was pretty torn up.

I say it needs to be an owner operator machine because they suffer if you skip any maintenance. The other downside seems to be the plastic and the fit and finish in the cab. But if you're looking for a low priced machine to run for yourself, go for it. Take care of that machine, it will take care of you.

Duke

All I'm gonna do with it is load dirt, dig foundations & footings and dig up the occasional stump. I would be the primary operator.

The thing I like is that they seem to come loaded with more features. It's nothing unusual to find one with an AC cab, 4x4, 4/1 bucket & rear aux hydraulics for the same as a basic CAT or Deere.

Duke

I'm basically down to 2 different New Hollands (a '00 LB 115 and a '97 675E) and a '02 Terex 860.

Only the LB115 does not have a 4/1 bucket. All have rear hydraulic circuit. The Terex is the newest & lowest houred and has 4/1 bucket.

Unfortunately, I have to finance. Hoping the T-rex dealer may have something appealing for financing.

Duke

All the Terex's, CAT's, JCB's & New Hollands I've looked at are foreign manufactured

Terex-UK
CAT-UK
JCB Canada & UK
NH-Belgium

Lots of them have Italian or German drivetrains. CAT & Terex have Perkins diesels

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
I am not an operator but I was out on a demo with one. We had a loaner from Terex letting a couple customers try them out to see if we wanted to represent them. I thought the machine looked great up front but horrible at the rear because of the stabalizer arms were so long. The owner/operator said it was awsome. He said once you put the stabalizers down they were actually to the side and not under the machine and he said it had more power than his backhoe of a very reputable brand.

mudmaker

I friend of mine bought a new Terex a few years ago due to the low price. I havent seen him for a year as we both moved, but last summer he still had no complaints about it. Seems to be a good machine. I ran it a couple of times and thought if felt more solid than the NH's I have run.

pwrstroke6john

A few years ago i was in a 115 new holland and the cab seemed real small, I rememeber i couldnt swing my feet around to the back like normal and i only wear an 11 boot. They may have changed the cab by now.

OffDIGGIN

All I'm gonna do with it is load dirt, dig foundations & footings and dig up the occasional stump. I would be the primary operator.

The thing I like is that they seem to come loaded with more features. It's nothing unusual to find one with an AC cab, 4x4, 4/1 bucket & rear aux hydraulics for the same as a basic CAT or Deere.

hello Duke, I have an 03 terex 760 with 6500 hr on it with no major problems
I dig nothing but footings and most of the time with a 4' bucket
I do all of my own mantance and repair my dealer has not touch it sence it
went of waranty. re sale is bad my buddy turn one in 2 years ago only got 25,000 trade in. Are you looking at an offset or center mount?
my seems to be very stable even with a 4' bucket on and being an offset
for the money i payed 70,000 with 7 coustom buckets fully loaded its
been a good machine for me.. here's pic of my baby when new
If you need anything else i know of this thread now.

Attachments

• tractor 1.jpg
    tractor 1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,554

Duke

I'd love to find the slide boom type like you can get in europe, but everything I see is a center fixed boom.