• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tell me what you know about Cummins..

camara

Occupation
Horizontal Directional Drilling Contractor
I have driven all the Cummins engines, most of the Cats, and the last driptriot I drove was a 6-71. I personally don't like the L10 Cummins. The Cat's were very good just very expensive to repair. The BCII & III 350 Cummins is 855 Cu inch and the 3406 Cat's are 893(?). They had a longer stroke and therefore made more torque on the low end. The Detroit.......I just added 2 gallons every morning and changed the filters once a month. For me the Cummins was OK on fuel and not too bad on the wallet for repairs. Go for the 350! Just have it checked out good and you should have many good years from her.

thejdman04

the 444 is bad, detroits, tended to leak oil some of even the 60 series did, i personally like cummins over cat

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Cummins

Hey fellas, Im looking at a few dump trucks for sale and they both have cummins engines in them.

One has a 350 cummins, and one has a 444 cummins.

I know the n14 cummins are good, but I really dont know much about the 350 or the 444. What do you guys all know about them? Biased opinions are not really needed, I would prefer real experience based opinions, good and bad.
I have had all them and in my opinion the Big Cam 400, is the best. Of course we are talking about the older Cummins. They were good, strong and the cheapest to rebuild. I hear the N14 is OK. As stated before, Cat's are good(I have one 3406, but they are expensive to rebuild) I think 350 was used in the lower HP requirement trucks. I know I had one in a dump, with only a 14ft body. Great engine, but not strong as the 400.
Dont know much about a Cummins 444, as stated I think I would stay away from it.
It all amounts to what truck its in, rears, hauling weight, what kind of power do you need to do your work, better to have a little bigger engine and use the power less. I will leave you with this thought. I had a Int dump with a 16ft dump DT466 (250hp)engine, 9 speed LOLo, good truck, but dont be in a hurry, it did the same job as the other trucks, just a little slower

Serv

Can any of you cummins experts come close to ID'ing these two engines please?

The first and second pics (same engine laying in the grass) had the tag on it and the third pic (engine in the machine) didn't have an ID tag on it. The only thing that jumped out at me was the intake manifolds on the driver side were different between the two engines. Is one more modern and or powerful than the other?

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/sy733/290M/080227_142706.jpg

080227_143606.jpg

080227_143039.jpg

busdrivernine

the last one looks like a big cam 3 or 4 it has the STC control module on the left rear side the othe 1st and 2nd pictures I have no idea

Serv

Thanks guys. The first one says NT380 on the tag. All I can say is it's a very old motor that came in the Clark 290m scrapers from the factory.

The second motor is actually installed in a 290M scraper and has rod knock. I guess they put a truck engine in it at some point. It did have big cam cast in the block.