• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tell me what you know about Cummins..

Preppypyro

Hey fellas, Im looking at a few dump trucks for sale and they both have cummins engines in them.

One has a 350 cummins, and one has a 444 cummins.

I know the n14 cummins are good, but I really dont know much about the 350 or the 444. What do you guys all know about them? Biased opinions are not really needed, I would prefer real experience based opinions, good and bad.

Jeff D.

I don't know anything about the 444's, but the first company I worked for had all 350 Cummins and then 310 Cats for many years. I don't ever remember the mechanics complaining about them(the Cummins). I'm not sure the exact engine model# of our 350 Cummins though.

I drove both, and definately preferred the Cats. My only reason is because the 310hp Cats would easily outpull the 350hp Cummins in the hills.

Many of us in the company would head to and from Chicago together. We'de have a mix of both the Cummins and Cats in our convoy. Loaded the Cats would out accelerate the Cummins coming out of the toll booths, but empty it was the opposite. Don't know why, but the Cummins revved faster when not loaded.:beatsme

Other than that minor performance difference, I've no other reason to not choose the 350 Cummins.

Good luck in your choice.

GaryKelley

Occupation
Self employed loser
Without a doubt

The Cat's are going to outpull (pound for pound) the cummins, it's all in the torque rise and where each one makes their optimum power..That being said, the Cat's are going to be MUCH more expensive to repair. And that is definately something to consider these days. Just my opinion...

Eric

350 Cummins is bullet proof, 444 isn't. Buddy of mine had a 444, he could turn it up and get great power, but it spent more time down than running. I would go with the 350, LOTS cheaper to fix than Cat. We run a big cam 400 Cummins in ours and it is really great.

Jeff D.

...the Cat's are going to be MUCH more expensive to repair.
....I would go with the 350, LOTS cheaper to fix than Cat.
Those are good points. Fuel mileage might be another factor too, to consider, although I don't remember what we were getting with either, being only a company driver.:eek:

One other thing I do remember now that was better about those Cummins, they didn't have the fuel problems our Cats had in the winter. Those earlier 3406 Cat's would shut down if you walked by them with an ice cream cone. I think cuz of low fuel return, and the lack of heat transferred back to the fuel. We were always having filter problems when it got cold.

Preppypyro

Sweet fellas thanks for all the info. I have heard a few bad things about the 444 too. I was pretty much just asking about these two engines cause thats what I have found. I drive cat at work, and they are ok, wouldnt mind having one. We also have one truck with a n14 and that thing is awesome too, but hey I am starting out and cant be too picky from the start!

Ray Welsh

Banned
Sweet fellas thanks for all the info. I have heard a few bad things about the 444 too. I was pretty much just asking about these two engines cause thats what I have found. I drive cat at work, and they are ok, wouldnt mind having one. We also have one truck with a n14 and that thing is awesome too, but hey I am starting out and cant be too picky from the start!

I know that 350 Cummins had a great reputation amongst truckers in Australia years back. (Big country, big fuel tanks and big miles). In fact, a large company called Bell Brothers, West Australia, placed an order with Mack for a large number of trucks and specified 350 Cummins and Fuller gearboxes in all. This was in the days when Mack made everything with their own brand and they held out for a while but eventually agreed so as to make the sale. Nowdays you can order a Mack with any drive-train combo you desire, like most other makes.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
To be honest with you, I have driven both and found them both the be great engines. I have driven trucks with both old and new CAT and Cummins. Personally I think you should go with whichever will make your maintance work easiest. Some companies like CATs for their trucks because they have TONS of iron and get great service from CAT. Others have a Cummins dealer close to there shop and its easier to get Cummins stuff. Overall, I would say don't let the motor be too big of a factor, unless its not a CAT or a Cummins, then I would keep looking.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Cat C15's are expensive to repair.
Any Cat is...but the newer ones are really expensive.
The 444's had problems early on.
I'm not sure if they were ever corrected or not.
I don't know much about the newer Cummins engines...
I've got a few friends with both series 60 Detroits and E model Cats who have had nothing but good things to say about them.
If you can find a good BCII or III 400 Cummins and EPA issues are not a future problem, go for it.
If you will be needing to update to an EPA compliant motor, look at the Detroits..
:cool:

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Yes I do.....
Just got off the phone with him.
It's in a Freightliner Classic and he pulls a flatbed in CA, AZ and NV.
He's at 500K miles and has had no problems.
It's rated at 550hp and he averages 5-6 mpg's
Prior to this he had a 12.7 @ 480hp and averaged 6-7 mpg's.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Ya know....
All engines are about the same.
Things like geography, service and applications is what will make one manufacture stand out above the rest.
As far as which one is better?
There isn't any such thing as better in my book.
That holds true for equipment (cat, case.....) trucks (Chevy, dodge, ford) and just about anything else you might buy, use or consume.
It's all about what works for me....
What works for you....
What works for me might not work for the next guy.
What works for me doesn't make it ant better than what works the next guy.
Now I'm a Dodge Ram / Cummins owner.
That doesn't mean that I think a Ram is better than a Ford.
That's just what I ended up with.

I always get a kick outa people who think that their truck/tractor/home/boot/bike....what ever it is that they have is better than anybody Else's.
And anybody who has/does/uses/drives anything other than my better stuff is a wimp/moron/not as good as me...

Me thinks that deep down inside....
those who always criticize/put down/belittle others...
those who always put themselves high above everyone else are simply unsure/insecure with their own manhood.

Jeff D.

Ya know....
All engines are about the same.
Things like geography, service and applications is what will make one manufacture stand out above the rest.
As far as which one is better?
There isn't any such thing as better in my book.
That holds true for equipment (cat, case.....) trucks (Chevy, dodge, ford) and just about anything else you might buy, use or consume.
It's all about what works for me....
What works for you....
What works for me might not work for the next guy.
What works for me doesn't make it ant better than what works the next guy.
Now I'm a Dodge Ram / Cummins owner.
That doesn't mean that I think a Ram is better than a Ford.
That's just what I ended up with.

I always get a kick outa people who think that their truck/tractor/home/boot/bike....what ever it is that they have is better than anybody Else's.
And anybody who has/does/uses/drives anything other than my better stuff is a wimp/moron/not as good as me...

Me thinks that deep down inside....
those who always criticize/put down/belittle others...
those who always put themselves high above everyone else are simply unsure/insecure with their own manhood.
Amen!!:notworthy

I agree with everything you said, and anyone who doesn't is an idiot..................and probobly a Ford drivin' idiot at that!:ban:D

kidding!!

2109 Stang

I have had many cummins in the past and love those old mechanical injected engines ,better than anything else out there ,I currently own a detroit 12.7 with 1.1 million untuoch ,can't get enough of that engine and a cat 3406 E rated at 475 but actual RWHP is 467 a monster but I rather have one of thse old cummins ,in fact Im willing to adapt an old big cam III or BCIV on that Pete when it comes time to rebuild .

2109 Stang

The 444 is a good engine they had some problems but by now should be work out of it ,I have never driven one but my brother used to have one and so far everyone that has driven a 444 agrees that they can outrun anything out there .

GOINGBROKE

Occupation
Diesel shop owner - truck, farm and heavy equipmen
In my opinion anything but the 444 the only people that have made any money on the ones that I have seen are the mechanics. The 350 would be ok cheap to fix but don't seem to last as long. Have a 12.7 detroit just turned over 1.4 million overhauled twice spends more time off road than on. Still a Cat fan though not so cheap but alot of dependable repair options available. Though in my experience cat is cheap compared to working on a cummins isx.

Preppypyro

I drive a cat and have drove a detroit and a cummins. They all seem decent to me. I wish I could be more pickier, but for now its just going to be whatever I find that is decent for a good price!

Thanks for all the info guys, its appreciated.

Highwood5

Have to agree with all posts here. one thing to add about the ntc engines is that the BC 1-2-&3 were good engines but the BC4 had some problems. Also the NTC would smoke like crazy in colder weather, really needs a wabasto heater for morning starts!