• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tb240 vs cat 304

Carolina start up

So i know they aren't exactly on the same level with the 240 being slightly smaller with less horsepower and weight but im wondering which would be better to go with and anyone's experiences with these units. I'm primarily a landscaper so these aren't going to be used daily and pushed to the limits both are used 240 has 2380 hours with a brand new thumb for 30k coming from a rental yard. the cat has 2800 hours from 40k and coming from the cat dealer it also has a thumb both are open stations. right now I have a few jobs lined up next year enough jobs to justify a purchase. i have a driveway drainage job actually about 4 of those a new culvert install and then some small clearing jobs nothing too crazy. Does anyone care to weigh in on which machine to get I can go either way both dealers are about 50 minutes away and I have no experience with either mostly just been renting a Kubota for the local places.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Takeuchi, Cat, and Kubota are all great brands. I own a few Takeuchi machines (Three mini excavators and one track loader). I have a TB240 that I bought new. I like the machine a lot. I have mostly TAG buckets for it. I use a 12",18", 24" digging bucket, and a 4' wide grading cleanout. I also have pallet forks for it and a concrete breaker. Happy with the power and controls. Adjusting the attachment flow a bit complicated. Mine has always had a small radiator system leak that no one can really find. The thumb is a must. The quick connect works ok, but is not the best to always get the pin out easily - it can depend on the bucket you're using.

Attachments

• Excavating Patio.jpg
    Excavating Patio.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Installing drain rock behind retainer wall.jpg
    Installing drain rock behind retainer wall.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Building raised paver patio with steps and rock wall around it.jpg
    Building raised paver patio with steps and rock wall around it.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 20

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Hey thanks! Here are the projects finished.

Attachments

• Holland Pavers with steps and sitting wall.jpg
    Holland Pavers with steps and sitting wall.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Paver Edging.jpg
    Paver Edging.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Raised Paver Patio with rock wall.jpg
    Raised Paver Patio with rock wall.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 10

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
That is great looking work. It adds so much curb appeal to a place. The green drain at the back end of the retaining wall is in case too much water comes at wall or am I seeing wrong?
Raisd Paver Patio is worth its way in gold. Inviting place to sit with company.
You may have to do another, once someone else sees it.
Simon C

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Thanks for the kind words! Green thing in middle image is a children's plastic play slide not drain pipe. Hard access to get to that job. The ramps were not used to get the excavator back there as they are not strong enough

Attachments

• Tight access.jpg
    Tight access.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 12
  • Adding a bit  more backyard space with wall, and more support for patio.jpg
    Adding a bit more backyard space with wall, and more support for patio.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Moving Pavers.jpg
    Moving Pavers.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Ramps for access.jpg
    Ramps for access.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 12

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Kinda thinking the TK is not a zero/reduced tail swing but the cat is.?? Would that make a difference? I'd prob. odpt for the TK. They're tough and reliable. Just not a huge Cat fan based on my previous Cat experience.

skyking1

^10K left on the table too, going that route. My only qualm would be the rental history of it. I'd make sure nothing is loose, cracked or messed up in the boom and stick etc.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
The number one thing to check first on the Used rental Takeuchi is the Air filter housing. The housing is closed by three lousy wire clips which are closed without view of how well the clips are secured. I bought a used TB135 from United Rentals. The air filter housing was damaged from the mechanics damaging the housing trying to get the clips engaged. I didn't see the seriousness of that. If so, I would have had the engine checked out and a new filter housing installed immediately if purchased. The engine had been run, and likely run by me with the housing not closed all the way. Soon the engine was shot. That was the end of that machine for me.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
TK is not a zero/reduced tail swing but the cat is.?? Would that make a difference?

That's an interesting call. A zero turn machine with an arm to the side is real helpful. In regards to the job in the image above, I wanted to use my TB153FR zero turn machine. When doing the drain rock back fill behind the wall as in the above image, the arm moves to the side allowing for tighter dumping of the bucket compared to a machine with an arm in the middle. Despite being wider, that machine would have been better. Also, to move material up there easier, I needed to reach into the back of the dump truck. However, the bigger machine needed my bigger truck and trailer to haul if to the job. With narrow streets and small roundabouts in the Seattle area, this would not work.

Attachments

• Drain Rock.jpg
    Drain Rock.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Pulling large Excavator.jpg
    Pulling large Excavator.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Excavation Work.jpg
    Excavation Work.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Carolina start up

so i ended up buying the 240 went and played with it and everything was taken care of and maintained. little play in the bucket but beyond that was great should hopefully be here by the end of the month ( had to order a thumb takes 3 weeks to get here)

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Congrats! A little bucket loose shake is sort of normal. It's likely in the TAG quick connect. There may be a couple of screws in the coupler end to tighten down the bucket, but I don't uses them. Make sure the welding on the thumb looks good, and make sure you have good paperwork to keep on the install for liability and any other issues. Always check that the air filter clips are secured down. Bon Voyage!

Attachments

• Mini Excavator Work.jpg
    Mini Excavator Work.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • Removing Concrete steps.jpg
    Removing Concrete steps.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Spreading gravel along road for parking area.jpg
    Spreading gravel along road for parking area.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 8

Carolina start up

Congrats! A little bucket loose shake is sort of normal. It's likely in the TAG quick connect. There may be a couple of screws in the coupler end to tighten down the bucket, but I don't uses them. Make sure the welding on the thumb looks good, and make sure you have good paperwork to keep on the install for liability and any other issues. Always check that the air filter clips are secured down. Bon Voyage!
yeah i anit to worried about it im pretty excited been wanting one of these forever plus I think its a pretty decent deal for now time to add a skid steer and a dump truck

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Takeuchi of course makes pretty good track loaders. Mine is old, but still does the job well.

Attachments

• Loader with tooth bucket.jpg
    Loader with tooth bucket.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Can lift 3000lbs.jpg
    Can lift 3000lbs.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 4

Welder Dave

That's good. Hopefully they're well established and have a good reputation. I was reading on here maybe a year ago that Tak is losing dealers because they are expecting the dealers to order way more machines than they could ever sell.

Carolina start up

That's good. Hopefully they're well established and have a good reputation. I was reading on here maybe a year ago that Tak is losing dealers because they are expecting the dealers to order way more machines than they could ever sell.
well, they seem to be good dealers the one closer to me is small though but every time the farm show is here in North Carolina they set up a booth.