• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sum Foters

Deas Plant

Hi, Folks.
Here are some photos of a recent ride, a Cat D9H dozer. Enjoy. That's an order. LOL.

Attachments

• Cat D9H dozer_1_Cut.JPG
    Cat D9H dozer_1_Cut.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,713
  • Cat D9H dozer_1A_Cut.JPG
    Cat D9H dozer_1A_Cut.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,715
  • Cat D9H dozer_1B_Cut.JPG
    Cat D9H dozer_1B_Cut.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,719
  • Cat D9H dozer_1C_Cut.JPG
    Cat D9H dozer_1C_Cut.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,701

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hi Deas, thanks for the pics....you have real dirt too...and a shiny blade:rolleyes: Is that in the Hintertlands?

There is something about a D9...how do they get you old guys up in the cab anyway...some sort of gantry??:rolleyes: :D

(wait for it:stirthepot

Deas Plant

Wheelchair ramps

Hi, Squizzy.
Does the subject line give you the answer to your question?

Or will you settle for me being one of the more lively fossils you've never met?

Perhaps you need to remember that you still have to survive long enough to get to be as old as I currently am. Think you'll make it????????????

And it's actually closer to the coast than the hinterlands. Finnegan Way, Coomera, to be precise, if you want to look it up on Google Earth.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hi, Squizzy.
Does the subject line give you the answer to your question?

Or will you settle for me being one of the more lively fossils you've never met?

Perhaps you need to remember that you still have to survive long enough to get to be as old as I currently am. Think you'll make it????????????

And it's actually closer to the coast than the hinterlands. Finnegan Way, Coomera, to be precise, if you want to look it up on Google Earth.

There was a school of thought (and some betting) that reckoned I wouldn't make it to 21....but here I am:D :D

Know the area well....Got some procreated rela....I mean in-laws in the area. I made the mistake of Buying a house at Helensvale once..:Banghead

Cheers

Deas Plant

Watchya doin wid it?

Hi, Alan.
Would you believe I was stripping and stockpiling topsoil on a new sub-division. They were fooling around with excavators stripping the topsoil while this beast was sitting there doing very little 'cos nobody wanted to operate it - and I suspect that nobody understood it enough to be able to strip topsoil with it. Dang young whippersnappers that only grew up with hi-sprockets.

Once they found I could run it, they got me doing other things too but that's where it started. I thought it ran pretty well too. I've been on a D8R with GPS (first time with GPS) for a week since then and another 1 1/2 weeks on a D6R with bull blade and backscratchers cutting to +/- 2" after the excavators and before the graders. One excavator has GPS and doesn't need any cleaning up after him. The others don't - and do.

Most of the hauling is being done with Volvo ADT's A25's and A30's - but they also have a Bell 4206 tractor with 2 Miskin scrapers. I personally think they have the wrong tires on the Bell - more flotation instead of traction - but what would I know? Still, it moves dirt.

I have attached a Google earth photo of the site which will be about 2 years old. I have circled the two houses that used to be on the property and the stables that used to be between them. The 2 clear rectangular areas were riding arenas for dressage and show jumping practice. The Bell tractor and Miskin scrapers, the D8R and the GPS-equipped excavator all work on another site about 600 yards up the road being done by the same company. They swap plant and operators between the 2 sites. Handy. (You can look this site up on Google Earth by typing Finnegan Way, Coomera, into the search bar on Google Earth. The second site is due North of this one.)

Attachments

• The Job..jpg
    The Job..jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,420

garyhh44

Occupation
Truck mechanic Retired
:) more cat, photos to save, loving it. Deas Thanks, This is a good place.
You all have a nice day:usa

Deas Plant

How's the visibility????????????????

Hi, Crazycajun.
Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace, kindly put together by Steve Frazier. Thank you, Steve.

How is the visibility out of that thing. Well, I guess that satellite photo says it all, clear, detailed, recognizable objects, can see the individual trees. How's the vision from that satellite? Pretty good, I'd say.

Oh!!!!!!!!!!! You mean the visibility out of the dozer????????? Quite good, actually, all things considered. Only a huge radiator with an up-sloping hood, a lot of panel-work, a fair-sized blade and a rear-mounted ripper to get in your way. Yeah, not bad considering. Mind you, I have heard one or two whinge a bit about that very topic. Can't helping thinking they'd whinge if their butts were on fire in a snowstorm. (Now what would I know about snowstorms, coming as I do from DownUnder?)

There are some blind spots in there Crazycajun, but you get used to it - - - or you adjourn to the 'rubber ranch'. I have a bit of an advantage there in that I spent quite a few very enjoyable hours on open D9G's and H's before I ever got in an air-con-ed one. I sorta got to know them a bit.

LDK

The 9G and the H are the best looking dozers ever made as far as I am concerned. I agree, that rising hood did create quite a blind spot, depending on the work you were doing.

Deas Plant

Sloping hoods and good-looking dozers.

Hi, LDK.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Nut's Heaven. I agree with you about the D9G and H being good looking machines but I've always liked the look of the later Allis Chalmers models with the sloping hood too. Not that they were anywhere near the dozers that the equivalent Cats of the time were but I always liked the look of them.

I only ever got to run one A-C, an HD16 stick-shift with a Buda engine, an angle blade and a LeTourneau cable control and I liked it. However, I did get to see a few A-C's with various parts of their 'anatomy' in disarray, most commonly, final drives or transmissions. In this respect, I think they were a bit better than the IH dozers of the time but still not in the same ball park as the equivalent Cats.

Biggixxerjim, just to turn you a little greener with envy, I got to run it for over a week and loved every minute of it.. Sadistic type aren't I? And I do have some salt that you can use to rub in the wound, if you want. LOL.

Last edited:

LDK

I ran some Allis Chalmers too, HD14's which I liked, HD7's that I thought were better than anything else of that size that I had run at that time, that is speaking purely from an operating point of view, beacuse one I ran for about 18 months broke up at an alarming rate, I was working in a heavy sand and gravel material though.They had great power to wieght ratio and were very well balanced. I also ran a 20 or was it a 21 for a while (showing my age here, I can't remember for the life of me) it left no lasting impression on me!

Never ran a cable blade Allis but spent a lot of time on cable blade D8 22A and 68A's. I also spent a little time on the only 8K I came across with the same set up.
The good reviews that the K gets on this forum has been a bit of surprise to me, I was never a fan of them but I loved the 68A's and the 22A's were great when hooked up to a towed scraper. I suppose the work you are doing and the condition and power output of the machine you are using direct your point of view. I will say that I do know quite a few operators with the same opinion, age could be a big factor here too?

I have to ask, what is the buda engine?

Deas Plant

Buda Engines.

Hi, LDK.
If my memory serves me right, the HD14 that you ran would have had a 'Screeeamin' Jimmy' in it, and there may have been one of them in the HD7 as well.

Eventually, it dawned on Allis Chalmers that they could do a whole lot better in the way of engines for their tractors that those screaming, oil dripping, 2-strokes. After looking around a bit, they decided that a company named Buda made engines that suited their needs pretty well and they stitched up a deal with Buda to supply engines for A-C crawlers. Time moved on and, as has happpened many times before and since, the company BUYING the engines decided that it would be a good idea if they OWNED the company that was MAKING the engines and so A-C bought Buda out and the Buda factory started turning out A-C engines. Does this story sound a little familiar?

Mike J

I think the early HD7's would have had a 371 detroit and the later HD7G would have had the Buda engine in it.

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
Hi Deas,
Those are great pictures-thanks for sharing.
I bought a 9G five weeks ago out of England and should have it home at the end of this month-I had a choice of it or a 9H but there was little difference in condition between them with the G being quite a bit cheaper.

I noticed on another thread a reference to ireland-well in southern Ireland I can verify when someone rings up looking to hire a dozer they ask for a D65.
Here in the north its not just as clear cut as that ,interestingly the Komatsu is regarded as being the better machine for boggy ground while the D6R is regarded as a production dozer tho with an LPG undercarriage I cant quite figure that one out!!!!

Best Regards
Neil

Deas Plant

Hi, NeilD.
You realise, of course, that you have now officially put your foot in your mouth, that you will now have to come up with 'foters' of the beast when it arrives. I would reckon that Nick Drew would like to see'em too.

It is interesting that you say the D65 is regarded as the better wet area dozer. Right from the earliest times that I had anything to do with LGP/swamp dozers, it was pretty generally thought that the 'Kummagutsas' were better that the equivalent Cats. Most people seemed to find that the Cats would go in further than the 'Kummagutsas' but wouldn't come back out again. This seemed to apply to both LGP track shoes and the pyramid- or triangle-shaped 'swamp' track shoes.

Having said that, I have vivid memories of one operator on a D5B 'swampy' leaving eveything in his wake for dead working in a swamp area sub-division near Newcastle, New South Wales, about 20 years ago. I still think that particular dozer had 'Jesus boots' fitted to it.

Best of luck with your new toy.