• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starting Case 580CK in gear

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Search feature is in the tool bar at the top of this page.

I replied to Dirty Rice's question about the loader arm cross member, since this is his thread.

The metal seal ring has a hook on the ends, much like some automatic transmission rings. Patience and extra care not to stress them when reinstalling is all I can offer. If you get that far, you will have to remove the old ones and it will become very clear as to what the challenges are with these rings. I can't recall the clutch disc count, but they alternate metal disc and friction disc, around 6 or each for forward and the same for reverse. If they are in reasonable shape, you won't need to change them. I'd wait until you had it on the bench before buying any parts so you know what you need. Excessive wear and seriously damaged parts will be a whole different ball game and can become prohibitive in cost. With any of this type of assembly, clean is mandatory. Any dirt, or other foreign debris will have you doing it again. Other things to be done when the shuttle is out would be the thrust washers on the output, seals and new gaskets where the tractor is split. Clean the torque tube, pump pickup screen and flush the case before reassembly. Good luck if you decide to tackle it.

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
T
I have been getting all my parts from Dale Weiss at Tractorstuff . He knows his way around these old tractors and has made sure I got the correct parts for what I needed. On the shuttle, there are a few bits you will need to buy for sure, and then some that will depend on the condition of the clutch discs. The 'Case only' sealing rings were around US $ 135. and the if I recall, the springs were $20 to 30 for the set to do both hubs. One of the members helped me with his extra friction discs and sent along a few of the metal sealing rings. They are easy to break and he had to order another kit thru Dale. I broke one but the got that one from those that were sent to me. Thanks Xpack/Oneman! I can't quote the friction disc costs but when those springs broke, some small bits got in between a couple of the discs and scored them badly. I set those aside, mic'd the rest and swapped out with the ones sent to me. Xpac/Oneman had done his and I learned a lot reading his experiences on here. You can search for those threads on 580CKs and see what we have been up to.

For Dirty Rice, here is picture I grabbed from a thread that 1968 Case 580CK started. It shows the repairs to his loader arm cross member. You could do the same type of repair and i

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Search feature is in the tool bar at the top of this page.

I replied to Dirty Rice's question about the loader arm cross member, since this is his thread.

The metal seal ring has a hook on the ends, much like some automatic transmission rings. Patience and extra care not to stress them when reinstalling is all I can offer. If you get that far, you will have to remove the old ones and it will become very clear as to what the challenges are with these rings. I can't recall the clutch disc count, but they alternate metal disc and friction disc, around 6 or each for forward and the same for reverse. If they are in reasonable shape, you won't need to change them. I'd wait until you had it on the bench before buying any parts so you know what you need. Excessive wear and seriously damaged parts will be a whole different ball game and can become prohibitive in cost. With any of this type of assembly, clean is mandatory. Any dirt, or other foreign debris will have you doing it again. Other things to be done when the shuttle is out would be the thrust washers on the output, seals and new gaskets where the tractor is split. Clean the torque tube, pump pickup screen and flush the case before reassembly. Good luck if you decide to tackle it.[/QUOTE

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks. Im gonna wait. Read more from these pages study and memorize how it goex together. I work ofshore so i have money but would rather fix it before im on a set income. Im thinking of putting back 4 grand or so just for parts to be used later.doubt ill ever make money with her but u never know. Mike h
Jones franklint9n louisians

frodomocho1

A farmer 1/2 mile from me always started a 1088 International with a screw driver until it started in gear, left a widow and grown kids. Rear tire ran over him didn't stop until it hit the woods an 80 away.

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Oh man i feel sorry got his family. I hope that guy doesnt do what he said. I put the nuetral safety swith back on mine. Otherwise i was gonna put 2 start swithches left of dash and right of dash so you can only start it from the seat pressing both at the same time. But i put the safety swith and just have a push button start only. No key. Seems to work ok.

dirty rice

Thanks for the warning. I know that's a danger so I always start any moveable machinery in the operators seat. Plus I lower the hoe and loader when I park it for the day.

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks ive started ordering from dale. I had a at up axle and bearing he got me a used axle and bearings for both sides. Plus the gaskets for the cover plates. He did me right. His wife seemed eager as well.thanks for the info. My backhoe is back together . Bug i forget some linkages to hook up and the seat section that half has been repainted. Im fixing it up by sections aft boom rebuilt cylinders new hoses manufactered homemade bushings. And paint downloadfile-23.jpg

Attachments

• 20170530_100307.jpg
    20170530_100307.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20170125_085246.jpg
    20170125_085246.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks ive started ordering from dale. I had a at up axle and bearing he got me a used axle and bearings for both sides. Plus the gaskets for the cover plates. He did me right. His wife seemed eager as well.thanks for the info. My backhoe is back together . Bug i forget some linkages to hook up and the seat section that half has been repainted. Im fixing it up by sections aft boom rebuilt cylinders new hoses manufactered homemade bushings. And paint View attachment 171624
20170125_085300.jpg 20170125_085300.jpg 20170121_165223.jpg 20170125_085300.jpg 20170121_165223.jpg 20170125_085300.jpg 20170121_165223.jpg 20170125_085300.jpg