• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snorkel Pro 126

barklee

Any clue where that is located? Is that part of the valves that have drive, lift, and swing side by side with a wire coming out of each end? I looked the thing over pretty well and tried to diagnose the upper swing control. I am almost sure that isnt the culprit. There is power in and power out of each direction. It seems to me that there is a mechanical obstruction or something is siezed up. Although its always been maintained and greased. We have had this machine since nearly new and never had a problem other than wheel seals. My trouble is i have basic knowledge with lifts and we have JLG Genie and Snorkels. They are all very different in design so i know a little electrical, a little controls, a little of this and that but no solid knowledge of any. Snorkels are laid out much different than the rest so its a little tough. thanks

barklee

here is a decent picture of the hydraulic valves. I think the swing is toward the center of the machine.

Attachments

• snorkel 60 valve.jpg
    snorkel 60 valve.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Snorkel design is very different. Tough to follow their wiring diagrams as well. Yes, it would be the proportional valve assembly, boom, swing, drive, and telescope. First thing you need to do is identify each of those valve section and mark on them with a paint stick what they are, for future reference. Once you've figured out which valve section controls what function, if I recall, Snorkel used harness plug in connectors to each valve coil. Identify connections to swing valve and mark them at connectors. Identify boom up/dwn connectors and mark them. Then disconnect boom up/dwn connectors and swing connectors, switch them, now you'll be using boom up/dwn switch at lower controls to control swing, and swing switch to control boom up/dwn. See if problems moves from swing to boom up/dwn, and swing now works proper. If it does, that will tell you problem in wiring for swing control.

barklee

I hope it yields some good information.

Well, worked on the 60 today. My first order of business was to check the oil in the swing gear box. I shouldnt say this but i want the info.......... it was probably empty. I put 2 or 2.5 quarts in the gear box (i have no idea what it holds). Then i started the machine and tried running the swing from the ground. No luck whatsoever. Now the gear oil is all coming out of the swing gear on the bottom. Its leaking pretty good now. So my guess is that this was empty for quite a while and now the gears are siezed and the seals are fried. Is that accurate? The strange thing is there is no evidence there was a prior leak. :(

barklee

Well, back to the 126. I removed the hydraulic pump from the engine today. The engine spins freely as should now. I am guessing there is something locked up in the pump? Still dont have it running, batteries were weak so they are on the charger now.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You're having all sorts of problems with that machine. If you have a pump shop in your area, I'd consider sending it to them and have them check it out.

barklee

You're having all sorts of problems with that machine. If you have a pump shop in your area, I'd consider sending it to them and have them check it out.

Yea, i've had too good of luck for too long! This ones gonna eat me alive. Just not sure which way to go on this one. They arent worth much to just sell it and i dont want to lie and say it needs a little of this and a little of that. And i also dont want to give away the farm either. Luckily im only in it on my time and a rebuilt injection pump. Also three hours mechanic labor to swap the rebuilt pump. Could be worse...... might get worse:(

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I sincerely hope you have less trouble than more. But my experience with Pro126, finicky machines of the most ornery sort. :Banghead

barklee

Well, i actually have an update for this. The shop that rebuilt the injection pump did come back and worked on this. I thought their pump was the culprit, according to them it was not. They said that the timing jumped, i guess i will take their word for it. It runs now, but i havent tried to bolt the hydraulic pump back up to see if that will work. Should i not do that without taking it to a shop for testing? Also, they said that they had to run a jumper to the fuel solenoid to make that work. Why would i not have power to this? Would that be because of the EMS system not working correctly?

barklee

Well, slowly but surely we are moving forward with this operation! We got the machine running today, bolted the pump back up and gave her a try. The machine will now start no problem, off a jumper wire. The EMS system started intermittently working but then finally gave out completely. I messed with it for about an hour and decided to call Snorkel. They basically told me that i am crazy and unless the upper battery was good (which is new by the way), and there was power going into the lower power panel (which it did) that the ems couldnt be totally dead! I argued with the guy for about 10 minutes and let him go. I was standing there messing with the box and jiggling wires and the beeper made a quick buzz. After fooling around for about 20 minutes i discovered the culprit. The large clear relay that feeds power to the box had a bad spade on the side. That bad spade happens to be what supplies the motion packs with power. So i took off both wires from the relay and stuck a fuse in between, back in business!!! Now just got to figure out why i have no power at the fuel solenoid.... Considering taking the machine in to the dealer and having the bugs sorted out at this, while im up on my luck for the moment!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I sure hope you get it sorted out barklee, every time I've tried to work out problems on a Pro126 they have aggravated me to the point of having an overwhelming desire to pour diesel fuel on it and set it on fire. Hopefully you'll get it in working order. :)

barklee

I sure hope you get it sorted out barklee, every time I've tried to work out problems on a Pro126 they have aggravated me to the point of having an overwhelming desire to pour diesel fuel on it and set it on fire. Hopefully you'll get it in working order. :)

No doubt, really aggrivating when its not a predictable problem. Kind of defies logic sometimes. Im gonna give it another go over and then let the professional take a final look before it goes to a job, might help sleep better at night:)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Kind of defies logic sometimes.

Not only defies logic, but is capable of baffling logic to the point of leaving it crying like a baby after the dog carried off their chocolate icing cupcake. :D

I mean no disrespect or slight to Snorkel in general, on the contrary, their smaller machines are durable and well built machines. But that Pro126, it's such a technical nightmare that has the ability to confuse its own self, I'd prefer having a JLG 120HX any day just from the standpoint of daily reliability. I do hope you get that thing sorted out though. ;)

barklee

So....... I am proud to finally report back on this, lets say headache!
Let me recap the problems.
The machine died while trying to load it for a job. We were able to periodically get it to run, in the midst of this the EMS system started acting up to the point were it would start (sometimes) but absolutely nothing would work from the upper and lower control panels.
So starting from the begining, i had a mechanic come out who determined that there was no power to the start solenoid. He ran a jumper and still no go. After testing a few things he determined the injection pump was bad. So he removed it and i took it and got it rebuilt. After that the mechanic re-installed and still no go. In the midst of this alot of time passed....... so i called the injection pump shop back and said their pump wasnt working. They came out and determined that the mechanic installed it with the timing a tooth off. Okay great,! so they fixed that and couldnt get the machine to run because the hydraulic pressure was building before it could start and there had to be a circuit open. So, i pulled the pump back and the shop came back and got the machine to run....with a jumper to the solenoid. So now i know the machine will run but not with the pump installed..... I called several mechanics and i could not get anyone on earth to touch the thing, so i kept periodically working through things. I re-installed the pump and got the machine to run with a jump box and a booster. After that there were still no functions so after messing with this about three times i threw a fit and started beating on the lower electrical panel with my fist...... all the sudden the EMS system powered up for about two seconds! After about three hours of looking all the wires over and shaking things i discovered that one of the large multifunction relays wasnt always making contact. So to test this i jammed a screw driver in there and everything worked like a brand new machine!
Alright... with one problem solved i still didnt have any idea why the hydraulic pressure wasnt releasing on start up or why there was no power to the start solenoid. I messed around with the other two large relays and i could hear a slight beeping noise when i moved a wire to one direction... At this point i was ready to do just about anything, so i bought new relays for everything in the box, wouldnt you know that worked!!!
So now just one problem, the start solenoid. Monday i decided i would go out and play around for about an hour and see if i could figure out anything. So i traced the wire down to the lower control panel and opened up the box. From there i traced the wires over to the smaller cube relays. I removed the one i assumed controled it and took it out. I removed the plastic cover for it and the whole inside was melted down into a blob of copper and plastic...... Luckily i had a relay rolling around in the cup holder of my truck for the last two months that was for another machine. By some miracle the damn thing was the exact same relay, so i slapped the thing in there and the machine fired right up! Between yesterday and today i have ran the thing for about 3 hours and i cant get it to act up, so its finally going to a jobsite next week......

All i have to say is AMEN! And I have to state again that i am not a mechanic and i could not get anyone who is an aerial mechanic within traveling distance to work on this machine, so i have been stuck scratching my noggin on this for almost two years and at least 100 hours of labor. At the end of the day though, i have a grand total of $975 in this repair. I was quoted $15,000 just to get started by a shop that was 3.5 hours away from me to work on it if i delivered to them with no guarantee of that price.
The END....... For now!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You are a patient man, even though you succumbed to beating the lower panel with your fist (which it likely deserved). Good to hear it's fixed (for now), but if it were me, I'd purchase a lucky rabbits foot to help it remain that way. :D

barklee

You are a patient man, even though you succumbed to beating the lower panel with your fist (which it likely deserved). Good to hear it's fixed (for now), but if it were me, I'd purchase a lucky rabbits foot to help it remain that way. :D

Well, i didnt heed your advice on the rabbits foot... Maybe i should have! I loaded the thing on the trailer today and the basket rotate isnt working. Seems like a simple fix. I messed with it for a few hours today with no luck. As you probably know these machines have that strange hydraulic pump and valve mounted right on the basket. I tried to check power to the pump and it appears i am getting power all the way. This is a newer pump and i pulled it off and checked to make sure it was able to spin freely and it can. Any ideas of things to check? Im not too sure how these work, i am assuming that when you hit the toggle switch it makes a ground and completes the circuit which tells the pump to spin right? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :Banghead

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, i didnt heed your advice on the rabbits foot..:Banghead

Give me your address, I'm gonna personally drive up there, pour diesel fuel on that thing and set it on fire so you can collect the insurance to replace it. :D

It's most likely a failed motor, but check it to be sure. According to the diagram there's two wires go to the rotate motor, #26 and #27 at the control switch. The way it's wired, if you flip the switch one way, it puts power on 26 and ground on 27. Flip the switch the opposite direction, it puts power on 27 and ground on 26. It should be fairly easy to test the two wires at the motor by simply using jumper wires to put power on ground on the two wires. If it doesn't respond, most likely failed motor.