• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Smaller graders

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Im looking to buy a small grader for doing long drives and the road at my main job. I looked at a Leeboy I thin but the blade was attached to the rear of the machine like a dozer instead of on a turning circle from a front mounted drawbar. The blade has a variable pitch but it still doesnt feel right. It wants to take the geight off the drive wheels in a good gravel cut. I hope to find a 40 or 50 year old Allis Chalmers DD like my older brother had. I dont trust the hydro grader transmission. Does anyone here have a suggestion about a smaller grader.
I found a newer Huber Maintainer with the loader a dozer blade and a midmounted drawbar moldboard. It looks a bit clumsy.
Im going tomorrow to look at a PSI grader.

donlang

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner- full service excavating firm
Fiat makes a nice small grader.....I think it is a 60 series machine. The moldboard is 10' and it is a full function hydraulic grader with torque converter transmission..........the other option is an old gallion, but I don't remember the model (but it would certainly be cheaper than the Fiat)

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Don my brothers old AC is a little smaller than the Fiat Id like to find one or the other. I tried a PSI today that had the mid mountd blade and a loader still didnt seem as smoth as my brothers old AC lol. Im still looking I may go out to a yard next week that has an older Cat that runs good. I dont really need one but a few of the lots I maintain need a grader insted of a tractor on them.

huffmanmb

Occupation
IUOE Apprentice Equipment Operator
Take another look at that huber. It may look clumsy but I found the one that I own to be useful for driveways, and road betterment work. Not the best design in the world but it works pretty good for me.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Huffmanmb Is your grader using the Ford power unit. And does yours have the front bucket or blade. Ive seen one or the other on he bucket part but this one had both options and a Ford engine. The owner also has a 1.5 yard pull pan he pulls with it. I think I can get the whole thing for 3000. I already have 2 old hoes so the loader part wont be needed but could be nice. the owner said the pan was a nice thing to have when doing some things mostly they used it to take high spots out of gas staion lots they built. Parts is the main issue on this machine if most parts are still available ill probably take it. Take care Taylor Lambert

huffmanmb

Occupation
IUOE Apprentice Equipment Operator
4 Cyl Continental Gas, 9ft MB and a push blade in the front. parts for the engine we can get of the shelf at the local Carquest. Machine parts is another story. We recently repainted and rebuilt it this winter. Though we had no major problems we had to fabricate some parts in our shop. Rear end/Tranny parts are available somewhat. Ours is a 77 I think.

If it is in running condition and not completely worn our, 3000 would be a good price compared to what they go for here. I reguarly attend the RB Auction in Olympia and they always seem to go for 8000 to 12000 in very used condition. We paid 7500 for ours and it was in pretty good shape. I looked at one that was almost broke in half, major oil leaks, tin falling off, and bald tires and they still wanted 9500.

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
Compact Graders

You owe it to yourself to check out a new Champion Motor Grader. We are the market leader in the compact grader class.

Attachments

• loader.JPG
    loader.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 14,787

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
anyone notice the 1st post is over 3 years old.

it is ok we still like looking.
The local rental co. here has one here for sale @ $49,000 about the same size as that Champ.

Most of you have seen mine. I paid $2500 in runing condition but have goobs of labor, sweat, and a little blood into it. Total $ has been less the $5000 including over $1500 in paint and supplys.

there also 2 AW's on e-bay and a 3rd for parts right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130099354302&rd=1&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330106981807&rd=1&rd=1

Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hi Dwan! I haven't been on the board much lately (pesky employment!) but I was wondering how your grader restoration project turned out?
If there still is a post about it, could you put up the link to it?
Hope things are good where you are, take care!
alan627b

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
You guys are just to fast for me.

I just got back to town from a sweeper buying trip in Washington. Will get back on the project as soon as spring cleanup is about 1/2 done. need to install the cab insulation and still do the wireing.

Dwan

LeakyBoot

Older

Just bought a Cat 212. 1951 vintage. I can haul on a gooseneck trailer. 22 ft long--the grader is. 13000 plus in weight.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums njpuig! :drinkup

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
Performance

i am looking for an info about the performance of psi618 motor grader,

I'm probably not the best person to give you a suggestion on the PSI grader considering they are somewhat a competitor to me. Lets just say that when all systems are at 100% on the PSI that it will have good power and traction. But it is a complicated system and when not working properly you have a slug of a grader. Its a series of electronics and hydraulics that have to be in tune with each other. Very hard to troubleshoot the exact reason your tires aren't pulling anymore. Its not a traditional grader either meaning the moldboard is pushed from behind rather than pulled by a draw bar. With the exception of their "Alligator" trademark, its just plain ugly to look at too.

But thats just my opinion....sorry if you PSI boys read the blog! Oh yea, they just sold out to Mauldin Pavers which hasn't always had a paver worth a flip. Not sure where your support is going to come from.

tylermckee

Ever ran an Athey motor grader? Looks a bit foolish, but one of the big paving companies around here uses one on a LOT of new development roads and parking lots.