• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skagit Iron and Steel Works, Sedro Wooley, Washington

Rusty Grapple

"If you're into this sort of thing, treat every visit as if it's the last. It very often is....."

That's some good words Eric! But we must remember, just 8 years ago it was no digital cameras and I personally allways tended to make some few good pictures and save film...
But with nowadays posibislities for taking pictures I hope everybody interested in machinery take Eric's words to mind. And don't also forget to get the serial number!

Hey that reminds me too- we don't have a good historical record of Skagit 'Serial Numbers' and we'd love to have one if anyone knows where we can find that info! Sadly only these last few years I have been tracking/recording machine Serial Numbers and it horrifies me to think of all the yarders I took pictures of and neglected the Serial Numbers and other info. So many of those machine have been scrapped I'm afraid we may never find those numbers anywhere. If you can, please record numbers with your pics- we are trying to piece a list together now.

A little (OK ALOT) off topic but we're also seeking Build Lists for the Berger machines. We have a partial Washington list and have a good handle on Madill and TBird now.

Lastly- my pics with the name/website on them are always still free to keep, save, and/or share as you like! Just trying to draw folks to the website as they circulate, so dont be afraid to circulate them as you like!

Thanks TorkelH and JeremyM and all you good folks sharing pics, I think right now there's more info available and flowing than ever before and it's fantastic!

TorkelH

I'm hoping for the contents of box 29 - description "Papers - Purchased Components list; serial number record; project list; oversize advertisements." in Seattle, Eric!

Factory Kid

PS- I've said this before here too-
All my posted pictures are for you guys, feel free to save, print, post, repost, etc.

Just PLEASE continue to take and post pics too, or all this history will be lost on the next generation. I like to print everything, write a note on the back, and file for later or whatever. Someday we will have good records put together.

I happen to know that Robert S. Miller donated a rather extensive library of negatives, 16mm films and slides to the Museum of Science and Industry in Seattle.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Finally!! Someone got a picture of it! Thats Barham's old machine that was converted by Maki into a yarder. Contract Logger/ Rusty Grapple had some pictures of one, but not quite the same setup.
I know quite a few guys who have worked under that machine in the past and say it will flat smoke any other yarder in North Idaho, which wouldn't take much considering a 98 Link Belt is the norm up here!

Nice find! And I see its sitting on one of Buell's many lots :)

sierra logger

I love all the great pics and info on the Skagit stuff. Is there anyone with more info on the Skagit sy 717, I just purchased one and I'm trying to learn all I can about it.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
2012-10-12 16.16.26_rsz.jpg
2012-10-12 16.05.40_rsz.jpg
2012-10-12 16.07.35_rsz.jpg

I think the tower says BU98 on it. I was unable to get any daylight photos before the yarder was removed from the tower and trucked off a few months ago.
At Cadman Rock, Sky River operation in Monroe Wa. This machine has been in this pit for many years.
The cat D8H has an old Weyerhaeuser Longview sticker on it.
Tag says:
Total Weight 139,040
Model number T-110
Serial number A90
Type 8GL
Weight 89060
Haulback 7/8
Skyline 1 3/8
Skidding 1 1/8
Min of 6 guylines
Raising line 3/4 209'
Telescoping line 7/8 162'

Last edited:

sierra logger

I think the other yarder you are talking about up hwy 6 just out of Potlatch is the one I just bought. It is a Skagit sy 717, and has been upgraded and put on a Linkbelt undercarriage. I will get the serial number for it and post it, I would like to know the history of the machine.

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
578997_10151114725351903_1729543126_n.jpg

403762_10151114725571903_1894949438_n.jpg

boardbysled

I don't know why I haven't taken pictures of these yet, drive by them all the time. I believe its what left of a Skagit drumset. I can remember when there used to be a few towers here, but when the scrappers got to em a few years back. Belong (or used to) to Dills Creek Logging.

IMAG0403.jpg
IMAG0404.jpg

And here is one of their towers that is still whole. Also unsure what it is, I know it looks to be mounted on an old truck chassis powered by a 2 stroke diesel of some sort.

IMAG0405.jpg