• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

service pit

Randy88

We are wanting to put a service pit in my shop, we are converting an older barn over into a shop and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas how to go about it and what to put in it.

We are thinking about 50 ft long and about five feet deep, we have discussed putting pylasters [cement butress's] on the insides and outsides of the pit walls and to make the bottom inside width about 6 ft and the top opening width 3 ft. We have discussed putting H beams 12 inch by 12 inch along the top running lengthwise so we'd end up with a 4 ft wide opening and have a place to slide roller trays and also a strong place to put jacks and such and also be able to pull those beams out if I needed to drop in something wider into the pit for any reason.

We are planning on having in floor heat in the pit floor, venalation with a small fan that comes on with the lights, lights, air hose pressure, waste oil evac system to blow waste oil out and into a storage tank outside, basic tools and wrenches down in the pit, steps on both ends and pvc lines buried under the cement if we think of anything later we need to run to it. We've tossed around the idea of hose reels with meters to dispense oils and lubes but haven't made any definate plans on that yet. Any other ideas or designs. I am tired of trying to crawl under trucks and trailers to service and do repair and also service dozers and change oil and have wanted a pit for decades now and even though some have tried to discourage me from doing it it's going to happen, if anybody has any other things we missed or need to put in that are handy or have saved them grief let me know, I'm open to any idea possible, also if anyone has any idea for a jack that would lower and raise with rollers on it so we can put in and take transmissions out of trucks I'd like to hear about those as well, I need to take out a few transmissions and put in new ones after this is done, we need to be able to lift it up to the transmission, hold it, lower it down low enough into the pit and roll it out from under the truck and reverse the process to put in new again, it needs to work for belly pans on dozers as well. Thanks in advance for any imput

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I've thought about a pit too ...I'm not sure about your part of the world but I've been told by building codes you must a ventalation system of some sort ..One thing i thought was to design it like an old front end alignment rack where you could have all your tools and work bench down there ..A pit would be nice ..easy on us midlife guys ba ha ..

Komatsu 150

Weather you're subject to code regulations or not I think you want more than a small fan for ventilation. There are a lot of legal safe pits and I think the ventilation sizing is critical to be safe. Great idea but someone sometime will manage to drive into it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I had a pit at one place I worked years ago. It worked good for trucks but you really couldn't do anything with equipment.

One thing you didn't mention was a sump pump system. Water still flows down hill and pits always give me that down hill feeling:)

Randy88

We already have a drain line up to the building and plan on putting the drains into it along with the drain in the building, we want a sump style where you get a foot or so in it before it runs out the drain so if we had a spill we could clean it out first, the same style as we are planning in the floor drains and we plan on putting tile under the cement as well along with around the building.

nowing75

We put a pit in an existing shop about 5 years ago. Have lights resesed into the wall when we poured it and have a oil tank that runs on a track and just run it to one end and plug in a QD hose and turn on a pump and it dumps into an outside storage tank. I will try and rember to take some pics monday. Works great for everything from a pickup to an excavator.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Im jumping in on this a little bit late, but better late then never. My background is trucks and i have worked in a couple of shops with pits. I love them. I see you were thinking of about 5'. I would strongly urge you go to lower. 6-7' if you can do it. One shop had a 6' pit that had grating about 6" off the bottom that was the floor. This let the sludge, grease and oil fall through the grate so you were not walking in it. Another place had a pit that was only 5' and it was a pain in the head to work in. Im 6' and i had to be very careful as to not whack my head off of a diff or a brake pot. Even if i dident manage to hit my head, i still had to stoop over more often then not to work. It was really uncomfortable.

When building i would go low as possible. It's easy to make something to stand on in the pit to raise yourself up. But you can only get as low as the pit is poured.

markshr151

Many years ago I built one out doosrs with about two feet above ground, I did not know just how helpful that was to work on wheels and stuff with out bending over.

ftaf08

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Weather you're subject to code regulations or not I think you want more than a small fan for ventilation. There are a lot of legal safe pits and I think the ventilation sizing is critical to be safe. Great idea but someone sometime will manage to drive into it.
I worked at a truck stop shop for awhile and we had angle iron on the sides of the pit to prevent drivers from driving into it but it was amazing how many still tried.

Randy88

We've gotten back to work on our project again and been looking at other pits and asking even more questions, now more confused than before, some are saying to make it straight walled on the inside and only 4 feet wide and others are saying to make it 6 feet wide and have the opening 3-4 feet wide on top. I've seen several pits with the grid deck flooring in them and they are deeper say around 8 ft with a raised floor, I understand how they work and they are nice if I went with that design I'd have to have a sump pump that pumped the water up into the out going drain, which would be at a higher elevation, not totally out of the question but would add a lot of expense and my cement guys are trying to talk me out of it. The design most of my crew and cement guys like is 4 ft wide and straight walled on the inside and pilasters on the outside and go about 6 ft deep, but this gives no room for tools or anything else as far as tools or an oil evac system or lights for that matter down there and out of the way. We discussed putting flush mount lights into the walls but have no experience with them and was wondering how much light they threw off and how many would be needed and also how to update them in years to come if we didn't like them, they would be rather permanent if cemented in. We've talked about putting a metal stairs on each end and that would be a place to put the evac system in, under the stairs on one end and having tools in trays that slide under the stair steps as an idea, any others have any other ideas as to how to have stuff handy but hidden and out of the way and not cluttering up the pit work area all the time. Thanks for the replies.

HSV127

Heres some pics of how we did our pit (not quite finished).

We put C section steel along the sides so we can fit a rolling jack in there, to get the recesses for the lights we mounted some triangle shaped boards on the concrete shutters and had electrical conduit running between them

Ours is only 3' 4" wide to handle cars as well and only 5' 6" deep, cold have gone deeper but its good for tractors which it mainly gets used for.

DSC02645.jpgDSC02767.jpgDSC02724.jpg

Randy88

Hsv127, thanks for the pictures, it helps me to understand how you did it, how thick is the concrete in the pit walls and floor around the pit?

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
Most of the pits in my area of Indiana have been filled in thanks to OSHA. Guys all are using wheel lifts now.

HSV127

how thick is the concrete in the pit walls and floor around the pit?

The walls of the pit were about 7" except for around the recessed bits for the lights they were about 15", the shop floor is 7" thick. Hope this helps.

nowing75

im just south of 36 in heritage lake. We made a oil drain pan that rides the full length of the pit on a rail and has a qdc that you can hook up when its full and a diafram pump pumps it to a tank outside need to figure out how to post a pic.

Jason