• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Service code on a d6t

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here's the appropriate procedure for the Powertrain ECM of a KJL-prefix machine.

I still can't get past thinking it needs ET on it to monitor Desired & Actual IAP. See the attached video. A different engine model I know but the HEUI system electronics works exactly the same way. If Actual IAP does not reach Desired IAP the electronics will not come out to play and there will be no smoke from the chimney.

Attachments

• MID113 CID0681 FMI03.pdf
    107.1 KB · Views: 0

artree0

I had sent 13 other codes previous of the last 4 you just commented on. They are on note paper possibly on page 1 of this informative imfo. Think you may have missed those or just got thru them yet. Thanks

Nige

Sorry I thought what was on the photo was the same as the 4 you listed in the post below it. I’ll take a look at them.

EDIT: After having looked at the photo, a question…….

When you scrolled through all those Codes did you take care to note for which ones the SERV CODE icon lit up.? Because that is the indication of a Code that is Active, any other Code on the list is Logged which effectively means it was there once but is not there now.

Last edited:

artree0

Asked for psr and they said they could not communicate with it. Did not have one. Told them they are just guessing then. Said to them they need to fix that first if that be case. Is that possible as all are up on my monitor. They even asked if I new what one is. Lol

Nige

Is that possible as all are up on my monitor.
I suggest that you should scroll through the list of Codes on the Monitor again.
As you do, pay particular attention to the SERV CODE icon. If it is illuminated when a particular Code is displayed on the screen then that Code is Active, if it is not then the Code is Logged and can be discounted for the purposes of trying to find the reason for the No Start condition.

artree0

Understand that but thought it may give insight to the existing service code. I may gave asked already but can it be started if service codes are up and just some particular ones possibly? Just talking service codes on screen not the problem that caused it. Was told if present they need to be cleared to start and run.

Nige

Understand that but thought it may give insight to the existing service code. I may gave asked already but can it be started if service codes are up and just some particular ones possibly?
There are certain Diagnostic Codes that could potentially cause a Crank - No Start scenario. They are usually related to the HEUI system but there may be others.
Was told if present they need to be cleared to start and run.
Only if the Code in question is a) Active and b) affects the operation of the HEUI system.
Maybe....... the person who told you that mis-quoted slightly and meant to say that "Active Codes must be diagnosed & repaired (thus turning them into Logged Codes) before they can be cleared." Nothing to do with being able to start the engine.

Nige

OK, so the 13 Codes from the photo are: -

MID030 is the Monitor System.
MID113 is the Powertrain ECM.
NOTE that there are NO Codes, either Active or Logged, for the Engine ECM MID036............

1. 0096-3 - Fuel Level Sensor.
2. 248-2 - Cat Datalink error.
3. E179-2 - Alternator not charging.
4. 247-9 - SAE J1939 Datalink error.
5. 2674-02 - Multi-velocity program switch. Are you sure you don't mean 0674 (trans intermediate speed sensor #1).? That would make more sense.
6. 673-02 - Transmission output speed sensor #2.
7. 585-02 - Transmission output speed sensor #1.
8. 672-02 - Torque converter output speed sensor.
9. 722-05 - Secondary Brake solenoid.
10. 689-05 - Left Brake solenoid.
11. 590-09 - "Engine Control Module" - "Abnormal Update Rate". FMI 09 pertains to the communication between the electronic controls (engine & powertrain in this case) on the data link. FMI 09 occurs when an electronic control is not able to receive any information from another electronic control, when the electronic control expects to receive information.

12. E281-2 - Steering hydraulic filter restricted.

Of all that list the only think I can think might be remotely concerned with starting is #11 - provided that it is Active.

Again it goes back to ET. It really needs to get it hooked to the machine and check how many ECMs it is seeing, especially is it seeing the Engine ECM.?

Nige

Up and running!! Ground wire off of engine ecm!! Thanks a bunch!!!
And that won’t create a Diagnostic Code…..!!!!

I recall one time in a training class that one problem-solving exercise was to troubleshoot an engine ECM with problems. What they had done was pull the power wire part way out of the connector but not so far that you’d notice. That one caused some head scratches I can tell you…..

artree0

Had bad connections at machine and engine ecm at fuse block that looked to be to hot at one time also. Was so happy that it started that forgot to look if the fix on fuse block cleared them 2 service codes.

Cliffy

Nige your comment brings back nightmares. A while ago working for a Massey Ferguson dealer we would get the tractors after the training courses. Full of backed out pins, probed wires, cross treaded interior screws, blown fuses, and glazed up from hours of idle.

Nige

It is an EVENT, not a Diagnostic Code. Events have the E in front of the number, Diagnostic Codes do not.
Events relate to something on the machine where there is (apparently) no fault with the electronics but something is amiss. The plugged filter Event being a case in point. Just that in the case of a plugged filter warning you need to make sure nothing mechanical is amiss before simply swapping the filter.

artree0

Questions Questions!! Temperature gauge is not reading temp. Moves went turning key on. When working dozer it goes up just off the bottom of scale maybe 10th of the whole scale but that is like an hour or 2 to do that. Checking sensor on engine it is a 3 wire 3 pin. Talked to parts man at cat says its a 2 wire. Part #264-4297 he says is correct. Have what is thought to be it a 3 wire pin on left side and wondering what that would be? Serial # again kjl01290 engine# thx31754. Have a 2 pin that is there on that side but goes to air intake I think guy said. Will send some pics maybe.