1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Self Loading Logging Truck Photos

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by skadill, Feb 25, 2011.

1. skadill

skadill Senior Member

There must be lots of good material for people to post of the Self Loaders,Their definetly a world unto themself.Half truck- half machine,A truly independent aspect of logging.These few were in Campbell River,Vancouver Island B.C. last year.I see there is a thread for loaders on trucks,which is a bit different,this would be the same truck to load and haul.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Timbercruise171

Timbercruise171 Active Member

student
    Can you tell us why some of the loaders go over the cab and others go over the trailer? In the states most self loader loaders are somewhat centered on the truck this has to do with weight limits on roads and highways.

3. lg junior

lg junior Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some photos of my self loader. Summer 2006. A very good summer.

4. pierre_volvo

pierre_volvo Member

Toyota pro-technician
  5. skadill

skadill Senior Member

self loader

This Ford is about the longest surviving short log truck in the Lower Mainland of B.C. that continues working(more like has survived the economy),they have a pair of them,a common daily sight anywhere around here to see.

Attached Files:

6. lg junior

[​IMG]

heres a 3000 Crown self loader that i'd bought some years ago,junked the truck frame was really really bad, put the loader on a western star then later a kenworth that came from revelstoke bc

7. lg junior

[​IMG]

1979 western star and 3000 crown a later one built by danebo in eugene oregon

8. lg junior

[​IMG]

1989 kenworth and same crown loader

9. Jdigger4130

Jdigger4130 Well-Known Member

I love the three log load. Did that truck actually put those on or did A bigger shovel? I am not A logger so any info would be greatly appreciated. If it did...RESPECT!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  10. lg junior

I did load the bunk logs and the peaker on the middle load the peaker the top log was the 4th cut of the same tree that the butt cut,bottom picture and 2nd cut top picture. Idid have to have help with the butt and 2nd cut. Butt was 5 and a half feet across, rotten and surprisingly light all three loads were well under 80,000 lbs.

11. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I have a question. Why are self-loading log trucks used? The reason I ask is in the SE US most logging operations have a trailer mounted loader they haul to the site, set up and load trailers out. They may have several landings it it's a big site.

I'm not a logger, just curious. Thanks

12. Born2clearcut

Born2clearcut Senior Member

Here's a self loader getting some help we went around one day and loaded oversize with the grapple yarder the Stink Belts i mean Link belts couldn't lift ( hehe). The first pic is loading a big old fir, the self loader is just helping to guide the one end onto bunk . second pic is driving a away , then i walked to the edge of road and took a pic of him dumping the log into the water, snapped the picture right when log hit the water . pictures taken in Bear bay Bute inlet in 1999 .

Attached Files:

13. lg junior

For me its convenient, sometimes the landowner would rather not have a large landing built every place I generate a load. I do a lot of small jobs salvage,clean-up things that the big boys don't want to mess with. I do have a loader that I use when I have the space and production that warrants moving it in.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  14. Jdigger4130

Jdigger4130 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am A big enthusiast of ALL the log gear and had no idea A Crown had that much pump! Thanks

15. Timbercruise171

Timbercruise171 Active Member

student
    Self loaders are also used for small two three truck load loads. In the SE US or anywhere you would bring in a log loader which adds to the cost of the small job. Here the self loader is two machines a loader and a truck. Now it can’t carry the same amount of wood due to the loader however does save time and money.

16. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

QCI Self Loaders

My friend sent me this picture of an early liquid loader on a HDX, late 1960's or early 70's. It was quite the novelty at that time. Also a couple of screen captures of M&B's self loading HDX, taken in 1978. It was a line and tong loader.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  17. skadill

skadill Senior Member

A retired but still existing old self loader

Attached Files:

18. tyyota

tyyota Active Member

One of a kind Tandem/Tandem Hayes self loader

Attached Files:

19. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

I finally found the article on the building of that truck, I must scan it soon.

20. lg junior

I like it! Somebody made the people at the chrome shop happy. Curious about the engine it looks familiar?