• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

fazle

New here.

Recently bought used Komatsu D21A6 3800 hours. So far, I love this machine.
When I bought it, there were no visible hydraulic leaks.
After working the unit pretty hard, I now have severe leaks in the cylinders that lift and lower the blade.
What started out as a small drip is now a small stream.

Any advice on what I need to do?

Thank you

FurakawaMatt

New here.

After working the unit pretty hard, I now have severe leaks in the cylinders that lift and lower the blade.

Thank you

Sounds like they need rebuilt. You should be able to find a place that does hydraulic cylinder repair by asking equipment dealers in your area.

fazle

Sounds like they need rebuilt. You should be able to find a place that does hydraulic cylinder repair by asking equipment dealers in your area.

Thank you - I will check into that this week. Any ideas on what it may cost? Do I need to remove them and take them somewhere? How easy to remove and what should I be careful of if I do need to remove?

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Yes that is the hydraulic lines that disengage the steering clutches. They will remove from the machine easily enough with some bolts. Hope this go well with you and contact me anytime.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Thank you - I will check into that this week. Any ideas on what it may cost? Do I need to remove them and take them somewhere? How easy to remove and what should I be careful of if I do need to remove?

They are not that bad to rebuild with just some elbow grease. If you need some assistance contact me and I'll see what I can do. I'm not sure if the service manual has a very good description on how they are done but I can walk you through it.

Tommy

Occupation
Business Owner
Replace the seals on my angle cylinders, on my D37. I unhooked the shaft from the blade, removed the shaft and cylinder from the dozer and rebuilt it in my shop. Very simple procedure of replacing the seals. Komatsu had a seal kit that had everything I needed.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
I don't know if this belongs here but here goes. I am the proud new owner of a Dresser TD7G. I would like to know who the actual manufacturer of the motor was. The previous owner says cummins but I don't know. I couldn't find any info on the Web. The engine tag says:
Komatsu Dresser
Libertyville, Illonois
Made in USA
KDC Model 410/240N
KDC P/N 1237736H91H
engine S/N 44475494

Thanks - I am greatful for this forum. You guys have been a big help.

oldhousehugger

I am the owner of a D20PL-6A which is now down with a bad starter/alternator combo and a stuck wet clutch.
I decided to tear into the 24 volt alternator because a new one is (reman) $150 plus aftermarket. The starter they are even more proud of at $750 plus.
My starter needs a bendix / clutch. the motor seems OK. I have rebuilt Delco starters and alternators and find parts and rebuild kits readily available.
Not so for Nikko / Komatsu starter motors. For instance the rectifier for the Delco 10 DN alternator is $27. I can't even find a parts breakdown of Nikki motors, let alone replacement components. Oh yeh I could spend the green and pay Komatsu's prices but I'd so much rather rebuild it myself and have the satisfaction of knowing I kept the labor here. I know they are rebuilding this stuff here in the states but where can I access the aftermarket replacement parts?

oldhousehugger

New here.

Thank you

As stated earlier you can find any number of cylinder rebuilders in Dallas. I would suggest buying the seals from the outfit that they buy their parts from and doing it yourself.

http://www.hddistributors.com/econnect/shop.aspx

These guys have a good website and a very knowledgeable counter crew and can get r done. H&D distributors are on Irving Blvd in Dallas. There is a great bearing distributor right across the street and hose fabricators within a mile of mockingbird and Irving Blvd. I just finished rebuilding the control valves for my Ford 4500 Backhoe and bought all the orings etc there. And now no leaks from that department.

John

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Howdy to everyone from Texas. This is my first post in this forum, and hopefully won't be the last if things work out. I have read everything up to page 45, and will finish reading the rest this weekend. This is an extremely informative forum, and I feel like I could get help here with anything needed in the future. Thanks to all you contributors for taking the time to post all the helpful information here.

I would like to know if anyone here has had any dealings, good or bad, with a business in Sulphur Springs, Texas that sells used Komatsu equipment called KTOO Equipment Sales, with a web address of www.holedigger.net? I have found a Komatsu dozer there that looks promising, but I know nothing about the business. Anyone?

oldhousehugger

KTOO Opinion

Howdy to everyone from Texas. This is my first post in this forum, and hopefully won't be the last if things work out. I have read everything up to page 45, and will finish reading the rest this weekend. This is an extremely informative forum, and I feel like I could get help here with anything needed in the future. Thanks to all you contributors for taking the time to post all the helpful information here.

I would like to know if anyone here has had any dealings, good or bad, with a business in Sulphur Springs, Texas that sells used Komatsu equipment called KTOO Equipment Sales, with a web address of www.holedigger.net? I have found a Komatsu dozer there that looks promising, but I know nothing about the business. Anyone?

I bought a D20PL-6A from him in 2007. the undercarriage was rusted out and the left steering clutch weak. I did not operate it in the dirt as I should have to find those things out before I bought. Shame on me. He offered no guarantees with mine and the trucking pretty much assured I wouldn't take it back. He is strictly an importer and offers no service to speak of. He has been doing it for a long enough time so that I would guess he hasn't had to many angry customers. His deal is to back the machine out of the container and make sure it runs. Kind of like buying at an equipment auction but with a set asking price.

That said after I have repaired a bunch of stuff on the machine it is now a little work horse. I wish it had a ROPS on it instead of the stupid plastic rain cover which vibrates like the dickens.
John in Dallas

struckzb

I don't know if this belongs here but here goes. I am the proud new owner of a Dresser TD7G. I would like to know who the actual manufacturer of the motor was. The previous owner says cummins but I don't know. I couldn't find any info on the Web. The engine tag says:
Komatsu Dresser
Libertyville, Illonois
Made in USA
KDC Model 410/240N
KDC P/N 1237736H91H
engine S/N 44475494

Thanks - I am greatful for this forum. You guys have been a big help.

G-man,
The earlier Dresser TD7C/E's were German made D-206, and D239 engines. Yours is quite a bit newer, so I believe the Cummins 3.9 is what's in it.

Hope this helps,
Zack

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Thanks John

I appreciate your comments, sir. I have read all of your posts here, along with everyone else's. It is unbelievable how much help some of these guys give on this website, especially Darin. I sure wish he was here in Texas instead of up in the cold north land.

On my previous post, I had read up to page 45 before bedtime last night. Today when I got home from work, I started reading again and on the very next page was a post about KTOO and it was not one that spoke well of them at all.

I was up there in April and looked at a D20, but didn't have enough time to check it very well. I am going back up there next week to run it and check some other things. When I called him earlier this week, he said his mechanic had just finished working on the drives and said it was ready to go. I will give it a good test run and see how it does.

I have a 50 acre tree farm that has way too many sweetgums in the 1 to 6 inch diameter range and need to be cleared. It's too much for my small utility tractor so I'm thinking this little Komatsu will be ideal for it.

If anyone else has any dealings with KTOO, please let me know of your experiences also. I would appreciate it greatly.

oldhousehugger

Looking at KTOO D20

I appreciate your comments, sir. I have read all of your posts here, along with everyone else's. It is unbelievable how much help some of these guys give on this website, especially Darin. I sure wish he was here in Texas instead of up in the cold north land.

On my previous post, I had read up to page 45 before bedtime last night. Today when I got home from work, I started reading again and on the very next page was a post about KTOO and it was not one that spoke well of them at all.

I was up there in April and looked at a D20, but didn't have enough time to check it very well. I am going back up there next week to run it and check some other things. When I called him earlier this week, he said his mechanic had just finished working on the drives and said it was ready to go. I will give it a good test run and see how it does.

I have a 50 acre tree farm that has way too many sweetgums in the 1 to 6 inch diameter range and need to be cleared. It's too much for my small utility tractor so I'm thinking this little Komatsu will be ideal for it.

If anyone else has any dealings with KTOO, please let me know of your experiences also. I would appreciate it greatly.

The D20pl-6A machine I bought is a wide pyramid track straight blade. ( It tilts down to either side but will not pivot left right.) That is not helpful when you need to finish grade which is what it was really designed for. It is an older 3 speed model and First gear is not really low enough for heavy pushing. I have grubbed trees out with it but that entails digging all around the root ball and then trying to push it over.
I had to weld grousers onto the worn out pyramids to get any traction at all in clay. I put a 1 inch wide grouser on every other one, however every third one would have been better because the tracks need to slip a little rather than kill the engine. Also mud is your enemy with the D20 and wide tracks. At times it was all I could do to get the machine to move in 1st gear when it got loaded up with black clay mud.

If I were to do it again ( and I had too much money) I would want at least a D35 with a hydrostatic trany and a blade that pivots left and right. The bigger machine with the extra horsepower and weight and a stronger under carriage would be better suited to tree clearing and pond digging.
The D20-21's are a light finish grade machine. I haven't broken mine yet even though I do a lot of heavy pushing but I am very careful and listen for those telltale noises which might mean trouble. By the way I did hire a CAT D7 to hog out the deep hole for the pond then I spent a week cleaning up the mess he left with my little D20 putt putt and lots of patience.

Happy motoring
John

Attachments

• d20 in pond1small.JPG
    d20 in pond1small.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,057

g_man

Occupation
Retired
My Dresser TD7G specifies API CC/CD SAE-10W engine oil for use in the Hydraulic System which is separate from the transmission and torque converter. In a footnote it says the 10W oil used in the hydraulic system must pass the NO-2 test. Can anybody tell me what the NO-2 test is ? Does this make it special oil or can I use any good quality API CC/CD SAE-10W engine oil. Thanks.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Nice looking pond

More good info there John. The dozer I'm looking at has the standard grousers. I don't have any mud or that black gumbo that seems to be everywhere near Dallas. My ranch has red clay and sand and lots of gravel and clay mixed together. There are two gravel areas with literally tons of gravel embedded in the clay. I can easily rip it up with my box blade scarifiers and then push it into piles . I built a homemade sifter to separate the gravel out of the clay and. although it takes a little time, it will produce piles of gravel for me. The dozer should help with that project.

I plan to build a pond also. I have a friend who owns a dozer service and he is going to bring his D6 and track hoe in to do the major work, like you had done. Then I'll finish it up with the Komatsu, if I get it, and my tractor and box blade. This is a project I have been planning for over 40 years. I helped build a pond with my neighbor when I was 17 years old using a Ford tractor and a disc and straight blade. I had a blast doing it and vowed I would someday build my own. I'm in no big hurry to get it done. It's going to be my retirement project, along with maintaining the tree farm.

Good luck on your pond. Looks like you got a great start on it. By the way, I was flying back from our office in Addison on the company plane one day and saw a neat looking pond north of Mesquite that was shaped like the state of Texas. I wish I could do one of those too, but the terrain is not right for that shape. When I get rights to post pictures, I'll put the picture up that I took of it.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Texas Pond

I got upload privs now, so here is the picture.

P1060750.jpg
[/IMG]