• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Jlicci

New member. I have been following for awhile and learning. I just pulled and repaired both clutches on my d21a6, however I am having problems insallind clluch covers back,is there a trick to this?

Jlicci

New member. I have been following for awhile and learning. I just pulled and repaired both clutches on my d21a6, however I am having problems insallind clluch covers back,is there a trick to this?

Mobilehomie

New member here, I know this will be a dumb question, however, I have ran my new to me Kamatsu d31 out of fuel.
What is the easiest way to prime the pump and start it. I see a small bleeder on top of the fuel pump, start there?

Frank Dozer

Well, I took out the Komatsu D21A-5 yesterday to see if the forward and reverse situation solved itself by sitting for a few days and getting rest. With the engine just above idle, the tracks won't spin on concrete if up against a cement wall, but with a lot of RPMs they spin like crazy. In reverse, same thing. With high, not crazy, RPM, the dozer pushes and climbs the curb as it should. I graded the neighbors whole driveway just to test it. Neighbors happy and the dozer seems better. Why won't it act the same at low RPM ??????? Thanks, Frank

PonyExpress94

I also purchased and installed a 24 volt battery tender for the winter.

Hey Frank,

Where did you get your 24 Volt battery tender? I just got the idea to do the same thing when I saw your post. I'm curious to know what you think of yours now that you have it and are using it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Frank Dozer

Hi Patrick,
This is the one I purchased on Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0158-1 Waterproof 24 Volt Power Tender Plus Battery Charger . It charges and maintains my batteries on my Komatsu D21A-5. What I like about it is that my batteries are always at maximum charge. Thanks, Frank

Frank Dozer

My Komatsu D21A-5 is now operating just as it should. Maybe because it sat inside not used for a year or two made it sleepy. Now it runs like a new machine. Tracks pull thru out the whole RPM range.
Now I want to add a 3 point hitch. Rather than a winch for up and down, I'd like to tap into the hydraulic system and mount a quick disconnect valve on the rear panel. I already have the 3 point hitch arms from a large John Deere tractor. I figured I could fabricate a mount plate for the dozer, replace the factory hitch and use a hydraulic cylinder, power up and down, to run it. Where can I tap into the hydraulic system and are they metric or ? Has anyone done this ??? Thanks, Frank

mitch504

I finally got around to starting my D21a-6 that I bought a couple of months ago. It had been sitting for an indeterminate time when I bought it. I had never owned anything this little before, but it was a deal I couldn't refuse. Both tracks were stuck, so we just used the 25-ton Grove to lift it onto the lowboy. Owner said it had transmission trouble, but when I checked, it was just the forward- reverse cable.

I put batteries in it and it cranked right up. The brakes broke free relativly easily, but the left one was badly out of adjustment.

So far, all I've really found wrong with it is that cable, and one dripping cylinder.

One wierd thing is that the blade tilt only goes a few degrees to the right, and a long way to the left. The collapsed length of the cylinder is too long. I wonder if this is a peculiarity of these critters, or if the the cylinder has been replaced?

RKP

Oil Change Komatsu D21

Would it be ok to change the cranckcase oil, etc. by using a vacuum suction pump down the filler tubes so as not to have to crawl under the dozer?

Thanks

Brian in Texas

d20p-6 fluid 15-40 and hyd fluid only?

This is a very useful site. Thanks everyone.I recently purchased a d20p-6 and was told by the previous owner to use multi purpose tractor hydraulic fluid for the hydraulic system and 15-40 wt oil for everything else. That sounds simple enough but after reading through the posts most of you seem very strict on using different weights. It is usually fairly warm here but we are approaching winter and might go through a few freezes. Im assuming the viscocity varies with the ambient temps and ours are normally high. Can anyone tell me if this is safe or not. Thanks in advance.

PonyExpress94

This is a very useful site. Thanks everyone.I recently purchased a d20p-6 and was told by the previous owner to use multi purpose tractor hydraulic fluid for the hydraulic system and 15-40 wt oil for everything else. That sounds simple enough but after reading through the posts most of you seem very strict on using different weights. It is usually fairly warm here but we are approaching winter and might go through a few freezes. Im assuming the viscocity varies with the ambient temps and ours are normally high. Can anyone tell me if this is safe or not. Thanks in advance.

I can't tell you if it is safe or not, but I will tell you that the owner's manual suggests using a 10w30 or 15w40 engine oil in the engine crankcase and the hydraulic system. Meanwhile the transmission and differential housing are listed as needing sae 30w engine oil. Hope this helps you some.

PonyExpress94

Hi Patrick,
This is the one I purchased on Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0158-1 Waterproof 24 Volt Power Tender Plus Battery Charger . It charges and maintains my batteries on my Komatsu D21A-5. What I like about it is that my batteries are always at maximum charge. Thanks, Frank

Frank, thanks for the reply. After posting my question to you, I did some searching and found the charger you mentioned in your reply, albeit before you replied. Having the confirmation that it works well is nice to hear though. I have had good luck with Battery Tender products through the years. Thanks again.

nlaney

i have a d 20 p 5 that has been great... until we parked it for several months. the right track is stuck. i pulled up the floor board and found that the linkage seems to be stuck. i can bump it back but every time you pull the brake handle it sticks again. AND even when it looks like it is in the correct balanced position with the left one, the track is still locked.
PS it is for sale if anyone is looking
lless than 150 hrs on pins and sprocket new bottom rollers
had a specific project i needed a dozer for.. done

Lajaw

Occupation
Farmer
Explain to me how the clutch pack works

I have a d21p-6 that we had new steering clutch packs installed August before last because the left side would not turn. It worked for a while but now, it is doing the same thing. I've put maybe 30 hrs on the machine since. The left side pulls, but won't disengage and I thought that the brakes were bad, but when I pulled back both steering handles, it turned right, so the left side is sticking. Before I go back in, can someone explain to me how the clutch pack disengages? I know that there is a small hydraulic cylinder(?) that presses against an arm in the case. What happens to the clutch then? I pushed on that arm and nothing happened. Can someone in the know explain it to this big dummy?

dblaneyfan

I have a d21p-6 that we had new steering clutch packs installed August before last because the left side would not turn. It worked for a while but now, it is doing the same thing. I've put maybe 30 hrs on the machine since. The left side pulls, but won't disengage and I thought that the brakes were bad, but when I pulled back both steering handles, it turned right, so the left side is sticking. Before I go back in, can someone explain to me how the clutch pack disengages? I know that there is a small hydraulic cylinder(?) that presses against an arm in the case. What happens to the clutch then? I pushed on that arm and nothing happened. Can someone in the know explain it to this big dummy?

Here is a link to a shop manual for your D21P-6. Maybe it will be of some help.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1KJS4J89

Good luck.