• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Frank Dozer

Just purchased a Komatsu D21A-5 !!!!!!!!!!

I would like to let this forum know that I, just today, took delivery of a Komatsu D21A-5. I first saw it several weeks back and decided to check it out on the web, where upon doing so, I came across this forum. The info in this forum goes beyond any manual a person could buy. It's a complete wealth of info. Hello to everyone. I plan to be a participant .

Frank Dozer

My new Dozer

Hello dozer forum. My Komatsu D21A-5 has a serial # 54786. Does this mean anything to anyone? It has about 1735 hours on the meter. 6 way blade. I paid $8,500.00 for it. Seems a good deal when compared to what's selling on Ebay. Also, there is a lot of info concerning which fluids to use. Can someone list the proper fluids to use in my machine in the summer and the fall. I live in Massachusetts. This fall the dozer goes to southern Maine to start it's snowmobile trail clearing job thru the woods on old logging trails. Can I somehow add a 3point hitch to it and a winch? Thanks In Advance.

kc5gxc

Hi Frank
Sounds like you got a good deal on that machine.
I think you should order the 3 books that you will need.

1)Operation and maintenance manual
2)Shop manual
3)Parts Book

These are what I ordered when I got mine (different model).
They answer all the questions on your machine correctly.
I have used mine a lot.

Think I ordered from "Antique Tractor" site ......... can't remember but can probably find out.

Good luck, Pete/MS

Frank Dozer

Komatsu D21A-5 Voltage ?????????

I now have the operation / maintenance manual and the parts manual for my Komatsu D21A-5 serial # 54786. I've read every word in both ( I hope ) and the starting voltage is 24 volts. But what are the night lights and the backup alarm systems voltage? : beatsme

kc5gxc

Hi Frank
I don't have all that stuff on my antique one. Why not just use a meter to find out ? Pretty well gotta be 24 V if that's what the available power is.
Good luck
Pete

kbeamish

Hi Frank. I tend to agree with Pete that all electrical on the unit is 24 v. I believe my D21A-5 also has a serial # in 50,000 series. Will check tomorrow after the rain stops. I payed a site more than $8K though, up here in Northrn BC, Canada.
Where did you get your manuals?

Frank Dozer

Manuals and engine oil and ROPS ?????

Hi Kbeamish, I got the manuals from SSB Tractor on the internet. 3 total. Measured the voltage at the old light, it's 24 volts.
I have a question :beatsme for the group. In my Komatsu D21A-5 serial # 54786, it says to use 30 weight CD oil for the engine. The Komatsu dealer says use 15W40 diesel oil. Has anyone else heard this and what do you use? Also, I have the canopy top on my dozer. Where can I get a ROPS or plans to build one. I have a complete weld shop so no problem making one. I also need the sweeps. Can someone send me pictures of their ROPS and sweeps.

Thanks Again,
Frank

kc5gxc

Komatsu Hydrostat Trans and Damper

Have any of you guys ever checked the oil in the vibration damper on the back of the engine ?????
Think this is only for the hydrostatic trans hookup.
Pete (D21P-6)

jbettner

Hi, I'm new and can't post yet as well. I have had a TD-8Efor 7 years and I love it. It is easy to work on and does everything I've asked of it including clearing several lots and a 12 acre and 20 acre site. My question is "I am cleaning/painting my dozer, and I am looking for a reasonable source for a decal kit for my Dresser TD-8E. Anyone with any thoughts? Thanks

I'm new to the forum and apparently can't post yet and am trying to learn how to navigate the forum. I recently purchased a Komatsu D21A-6 s/n 69588. I have the shop manual, but just ordered the operator and maintenance manual. Someone had worked on the machine and it still wasn't functioning properly. I discovered the linkage to the steering valve was way out of adjustment and now the machine will perform, but when cold seems to be no steering pressure. Need to know how to properly check the fluid in the transmission.

Treefarmer

kc5gxc

Ok......here is a pic of my poor old dozer.....it is ratty looking. The Rops is homemade...sweeps too......the top of the canopy is 1/4" steel plate. Ain't no telling what this all weighs.....gives me stability at high speeds.....ha ha ha. I am looking for a set of regular seat belts to put on it. Anybody got a set to sell ? Hope this pic gets on the forum.
Good luck
Pete
PS: This is a D21P-6 but the work equipment shows in the Komat book to be for an E model. Found this out at the Komat place in Hattiesburg, MS. The machine has D21P-6 on it. Seat is out of a '95 Topaz, I think.

Attachments

• 13May07 Dozer and Bill's to visit and fish (2) (Small).JPG
    13May07 Dozer and Bill's to visit and fish (2) (Small).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,619
kc5gxc

Thanks for the pic. Looks good to me. Fits the machine very nicely. Now if I can download the pic to my computer? Kinda new at this. I still don't have the operator/maintenance manual yet. Need to know how to properly check the transmission fluid level. It is currently low on the stick when running and overfilled when shut down. Have been advised to check it when shut down. It's a D21A-6

Thanks again Pete,

Treefarmer

Frank Dozer

Can Grease the track adjusters.......

First of all, I'd like to say a Thank You !!! to Pete for the excellant picture of his dozer with homemade ROPS. If you don't mind, I'm going to copy it to my dozer.
Now, I have a ( hopefully not ) :Banghead problem. My dozer is a Komatsu D21A-5, and the track sag ( Regular tracks, not rubber or swamp tracks ) is 2.5 inches. So I tried to use my grease gun to get the required 1.5 inches of sag per the owners manual. The grease fittings won't take grease. Grease just squirts out around the grease fitting to grease gun connection. I then tried to remove the fitting, but it's really rusted on to the cylinder. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the fitting? Heat, ballpean hammer, etc........... Also, I guess I have to remove the 2 small bolts that hold the grease fitting protector. I'm going to soak them with PB Blaster until I decide :beatsme what to do...Has anyone else had this happen and how did you resolve it ?

Frank

reddog848

Frank they are more common than you would think.:mad: Yours are probably metric too. I just try with a wrench first to see if they will come loose:bash if not I try the hammer and a chisel to try to spin it:bash:eek: if that doesn't do it by now it's probably broken off flush with the housing.:mad: Now for the rest of the story:usa time for the drill and easy out. that always seems to work for me:dizzy. Don't know why I don't do it first but I always get there in the end.:):drinkup Hope this helps you.
Fred
reddog848