• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Doodlesock

Let me back up and start over

Guess I should have made my first post a little more like this.
Hi guys.
Been reading here in the background for a while now. What a great forum! I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else.
As a group you are more helpful and civil than most any on the net these days.
I'm hoping to keep gathering information for quite a while. Heck I might even have something to add someday.
Merry Christmas and Ho Ho Ho to you all!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Doodlesock! :drinkup

R Leo

All this is out of my D20p-6 manual....

1) what is the factory spec. on intake and exhaust valve clearance?
Intake - .032mm (0.0137")
Exhaust - .05mm (0.0196")
2) my leftside steering lever comes back much further than the rightside lever, is this a simple brake adjustment? specs?
Don't know for sure about the -5 but that doesn't sound like an adjustment. Does everything work OK?

3) the glow plugs are not heating, nor is my 'saltshaker' glowing when I turn the key CCW. Anybody have a wiring diagram that is scan-able or email-able for a 1985 D21A-5.
Here you go:
Wiring Diagram

mikek

R Leo,

you are The MAN!!

I ran my machine a few hours yesterday, pushing over white pines 20" dia. and 75-80' tall.....incredible what this 10k lb machine can do.

I did not pull the floor pan yet, but have a feeling there is a brake adjustment for each steering lever under the pan.

Now that I have a wiring diagram I will solve my non-functioning glow plugs. With cold weather in the NC mountains I've been having to hit a spritz of ether at the air intake to get this thing to lite up, I'd much rather have the GP's operational.

thank you very much,

Mike

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
HP ratings on engine models

I been doing some research on the engines that power these D21/D20

This may not be all of them but this is what I have came up with

4D95S-1 rated 40HP 2.69 liter engine
4D94E-1A rated 36HP 2.77 liter engine
4D95L-1 rated 50HP 3.26 liter engine
4D98E-1A rated 50HP 3.32 liter engine
4D94LE-2 rated 39HP 3.05 liter engine

now from what I can gather the 50Hp rated engine are from 75001 thur 78603 for the 4D95L-1
and the 4D98E-1A is rated 50hp from 78604 and up but its hard to determine the cutoff but it looks like it might cut off at 82900 but I am not sure. So no wonder some of these people are having some good luck on these when they only thought they had 40Hp dozers. I guess its best to start looking at engine codes to factor in your puchase if so desired:cool2 :cool2

R Leo

I did not pull the floor pan yet, but have a feeling there is a brake adjustment for each steering lever under the pan.
The deck plate (the piece under your feet) and seat plate (what the seat is bolted to) can be removed for full access to the brake/clutch linkages.

I don't know about the -5 but, these are the adjustment specs for the -6 steering linkages.

Steering adjustments

Hope this helps.

Doodlesock

Comparing A and P Models

I have read the following and need some clarification from you guys:

The A model dozer will push harder than the P.
Does it only seem to push harder due to a smaller blade?
Will the P push hard enough to make good use of it's blade?

The P tracks are hard on the undercarriage.
Have you found this to be true?
How much would you suspect it shortens undercarriage life?

Would you prefer standard grousers or pyramid tracks? The pyramid tracks seem to be more readily availble. This may be due to more pyramids being available or due to standard grousers being more in demand. Don't know which.

machineman

I have read the following and need some clarification from you guys:

The A model dozer will push harder than the P.
Does it only seem to push harder due to a smaller blade?
Will the P push hard enough to make good use of it's blade?

The P tracks are hard on the undercarriage.
Have you found this to be true?
How much would you suspect it shortens undercarriage life?

Would you prefer standard grousers or pyramid tracks? The pyramid tracks seem to be more readily availble. This may be due to more pyramids being available or due to standard grousers being more in demand. Don't know which.

I have a D20P-7 with pyramid tracks and I can tell you that they work great on deep mud and soft dirt. However its hell on the rocky areas. The wide tracks are proably part of the reason mine were forced off the front idler when working in lots of large rocks. Again the same for the "P" blade, full loads in soft dirt but on rocky areas the dozer seems underpowered and/or undersized. Don't know about undrcarriage lifetime, will depend on how much you punish it. It will have an easy life if you never get into large rocks or stumps.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
in April

Well if things go the way they are going I should be getting a 1998 D21A-7 in Early April. Im just going to be using it to clear brush mostly that south Texas Sage.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
I think the Pyramid style tracks is mostly due to the application that the dozers were orginally spec out for, Muddy and really soft ground. you look at the PSI on the grouser tracks vs the Pyramid or even rubber tracks your going to let you know how much traction more or less your going to get.

jimmer

Newby Dozer wannabe

I read this whole thread and learned alot. I love this forum.
I'm a newbie to the dozer world. I'm looking for a smaller dozer like the D21P-7 to do some clearing on my place in Texas. Will this dozer handle cedar, oak, and elm up to 10"? I have some spots that has deep sand (1-2')will I require the pyramid tracks? I also have some clay at depth and some at the surface will the pyramid tracks get enough traction when the clay is hard? What is the fuel consumption of this dozer? Are the joystick machines easier to learn on or are the lever control ones easier? What is the best way to learn besides just getting out on it and driving? Does anybody know of a D21P-7 in Texas that is in good shape for sale? What is a good price for this machine? I have seen them from 12K to 24K. :beatsme

Thanks in advance for your contribution to my education!!

Jim

R Leo

Will this dozer handle cedar, oak, and elm up to 10"?
Sure. Just don't expect to take these size trees down in one pass. I needed to take out a large post oak (10"-12" dia and 35'-40' tall) on a job earlier this week. It took over an hour to get it out and I had to excavate out on all four sides of the trunk. The resulting hole was big enough to hold the machine when I was done

I have some spots that has deep sand (1-2')will I require the pyramid tracks?
I also have some clay at depth and some at the surface will the pyramid tracks get enough traction when the clay is hard?
Understand that I'm new to this whole thing and have little experience but it seems to me that because the dozer is so daggone light (<10k lbs) I don't think the pads (pyramid or grousers) make that much difference on these little machines when it comes to traction. I'd make my decision on tracks based on the terrain you'll be working in...pyramids for sand, grousers for rock.

What is the fuel consumption of this dozer?
1/2 GPH has been my average.

What is the best way to learn besides just getting out on it and driving?
That's what I did.

jimmer

R Leo, Thanks for the input, sounds like I will not be pushing over very many larger oaks. I don't plan on taking out very many of the larger(10") size trees. Most of what I need to clear is brush, smaller mesquites, cedars, elms and some smaller oaks. I was just trying to find out the upper limit of this size dozer. 1/2 GPH sounds pretty good. I hope I find a dozer in good condition for a good price soon.

Thanks Again,
Jim

dgarner1988

i am working on a komatsu d-20 p6 and wondering how to remove the steering clutchs on the right side, i have tore into it and have the final drive off the right side but i cant get the shaft out that goes into the clutch pack out to the final drive! any help would be appreciated. and what do i have to do to be able to start new treads?

R Leo

i am working on a komatsu d-20 p6 and wondering how to remove the steering clutchs on the right side, i have tore into it and have the final drive off the right side but i cant get the shaft out that goes into the clutch pack out to the final drive! any help would be appreciated. and what do i have to do to be able to start new treads?
I'm no help on the clutch pak shaft but, around here, you have to post several responses to threads before you're permitted to start one.