• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Oh, I wasn't disputing any of it at all or disagreeing. I appreciate the list immensly!! I just know Tim has that yarder now as I was cutting for it last week. :D

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I have an article somewhere by the late Finley Hays about a logging outfit years ago in Alaska that went by the name Hayes. Let's just say that Mr. Hays pointed out the difference in spelling between his name and theirs, and made sure that everyone who read the article knew that he was in no way related to them. I'm wondering if this outfit Hayes Forest Service is the same people, a generation or so later....

Beekster

Occupation
retired
Hi, all! Been a while since I've looked in on this thread; nice to see more pictures of the Madill 071s. I live near Portland, OR, and I would like to find a machine within a couple of hours' drive that I can go over with a tape measure. I'd like to build a replica in 1/35 scale, as I have a deep interest in all things related to the Sherman tank. I've got a bunch of photos and the four-page sales brochure, but there are a lot of measurements left out of that. Can anybody point me in the direction of an Oregon or SW Washington operator that might allow me to crawl around one of these when it's in the yard somewhere?

BTW, I was vacationing in Wahsington State and BC recently, and came across a pair of 071s being parted out a little ways north of Sedro Wooley, WA. I could read the serial plate on one of them, though it was very obscured by grease: Serial # 70145, built in Kalama. The same plate has another label that might read "Madill Number", but that is obscured. The number in that panel reads 5-300-21. This rig was really gutted out, but on the left side was still wearing a 17-tooth driver and Canadian Dry Pin track. Might have been built on a Grizzly chassis?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
If you live near Portland contact Mike Pihl in vernonia as he has one and would let you go all thru it.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
If you didn't mind driving down to Tillamook there was an 071 Serial # 70097 directly across the street from the cheese factory, at least it was down there in late June. There was some guys cutting firewood next to and I don't believe they owned it but knew the owner and had no problem with me taking a look at it. Plus you can get some Tillamook Ice Cream at the visitors center!

Beekster

Occupation
retired
Jeremy, Hallback; thanks to both of you. I'll have to give Mike Pihl's operation a call and see what can be arranged. Tillamook isn't far either; though I wonder if the machine is still there. It's now six weeks or so since the sighting. Worst case is, I get out there and no yarder, so I console myself with a visit to the Tillamook Air Museum in the blimp hangar. Haven't been there in a few years, either.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Jeremy, Hallback; thanks to both of you. I'll have to give Mike Pihl's operation a call and see what can be arranged. Tillamook isn't far either; though I wonder if the machine is still there. It's now six weeks or so since the sighting. Worst case is, I get out there and no yarder, so I console myself with a visit to the Tillamook Air Museum in the blimp hangar. Haven't been there in a few years, either.
No problem, if you go to page 69 of this this thread you will see pics of the Tillamook one. There was also someone from the area alleyoop that lives down that direction, maybe you can PM him to see if its still there?

Username

Nobody has been by Modern Machinery in Rochester yet to check out the Madill 171 that burnt in their yard last week?

Beekster

Occupation
retired
Thanks, Jeremy! I'll try PMing alleyoop on this forum to see about looking that machine over. These machines are as fascinating and varied in their configuration as the Sherman tank hulls they were built on. Obviously a lot of customization was possible; some of it done at the factory and others done later by the operators. No two appear to be exactly alike.

Username

No, but it was owned by the same guys that bought B&M's unit not long ago. Word is they have a few they wanted converted to hydrostatic tracks, one was in the yard last Monday and the tank tracks got torched off. Supposedly they had mucked out any brush or oil in the bottom of the machine beforehand, but apparently firewatch was too short... Burned the replacement engine, a Cat Modern had installed, torque convertor, brakes, etc. Guess they're going to pull the drum shafts and check those too. I just heard about it Sunday, haven't been by to take a picture yet.

alleyoop

Occupation
I am the house forman but dont tell her that
beekster i will check sat .foe you....alleyoop

alleyoop

Occupation
I am the house forman but dont tell her that
Beekster and jeremy m 70 that yarder is Bill Martons here in tillamook he is a nice guy and i talk to his dad Jim Marton and he said to call between 5;oo pm to 8;oo pm he gets up a 3;oo in the morns,his # 503 842 6827 hope you have good luck......alleyoop

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Beekster and jeremy m 70 that yarder is Bill Martons here in tillamook he is a nice guy and i talk to his dad Jim Marton and he said to call between 5;oo pm to 8;oo pm he gets up a 3;oo in the morns,his # 503 842 6827 hope you have good luck......alleyoop

Thanks alleyoop, hopefully beekster can get down to it and get some good info from it. Would like to see that model when complete, sounds like a cool project.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
This months Loggers World/Log Trucker had an article about Rice Trucking. Said something about their new 3800 in there as well.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Thanks Jeremy. I enjoyed the article. Keep up the good work scouting out all the Madill equipment, old ad and new, for everyone. DBDLS.