• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rivers Inlet & other Malloch & Moseley Operations

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Toby Hird Malloch & Moseley , Rivers Inlet Div. 1st picture June 1976 snow still 15 - 20 feet deep at bottom of Winter Snow Slide area . 2nd - 3rd pictures new Warner Swasey excavator Aug. 1976 . 4th picture Air Track Rock Drill at work Aug 1976 . 5th picture Rock Truck hauling unwanted wood from Dryland Sort .scan212.jpgscan213.jpgscan214.jpgscan215.jpgscan216.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird , Malloch & Moseley Rivers Inlet Div. Every once in awhile a Grizzly Bear gets caught on the haul roads ,scan217.jpgscan218.jpgscan219.jpgscan220.jpg on B.C. Main Land Coast .

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird , Malloch & Moseley Rivers Inlet Div. , 1st picture Tension Skidder June 1976 . 2nd picture Ted Roth's HDX Hayes Killbella Bay Camp June 1976 . 3rd picture Rained over night , flooded Yarder , Aug . 1978 . 4th picture ? , Dolly Purcell , Steve Braithwaite standing in front of #142 P16 Pacific .scan221.jpgscan222.jpgscan223.jpgscan224.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird Malloch & Moseley Rivers Inlet Div. 1981 bridge washed out at 18 mile over Killbella River . 3rd picture replacing washed out bridge with a 'Bailey Bridge" .scan229.jpgscan230.jpgscan231.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird Malloch & Moseley , Sept. 14,1984 M & M were working for BCFP Renfrew Div. in the Tr. 10 ,scan236.jpgscan237.jpg Loop Cr. area while moving #402 Madill 009 Yarder down a hill it had a run away .

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird Malloch & Moseley , 1984 while contracting for BCFP Renfrew Div. #402 Madill 009 tower pulled a "Guyline" stump out of the ground resulting in pulling the tower over . I just realized that this is the same tower (#402) that was involved in a run away in post #366 . This event happened first , in these pictures the tower its self is "rusty yellow" top to bottom , in posting #366 the top section is painted orange . 1st-3rd pictures of tower pulled over . 4th picture is John Combet and Toby Hird inspecting up turned guyline stump .scan243.jpgscan244.jpgscan245.jpgscan246.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird , Malloch & Moseley , Renfrew Div. Sept. 6,1985 #142 P16 Pacific Log Truck , Heading for BCFP's Honeymoon Bay DLS . The loaded logging truck had just crossed South Shore Rd. at Mesachie Lake on the Hillcrest M/L , to get to Honeymoon Bay Off Highway , we use to follow Hillcrest M/L to Pacific's Dump then follow Old Rail Road Grade to Honeymoon Bay DLS . While pulling on to the bridge that cross's Robertson River that is on a corner , Trailer tracked off inside of corner on fill approaching bridge , pulling truck which way already on bridge , off bridge into river . Cause Pin that passes through Funnel on end of Compensater at tail frame of truck and "Eye" on end of trailer Reach to hold trailer in place while hauling load had "jumped out" somewhere's along the gravel road . (The Pin is about 2 inches in diameter by about a foot long weighting about 10 pounds) , Tscan286.jpgscan287.jpgscan288.jpgscan289.jpgscan290.jpghis is only the second time I've seen this happen after 20 years of driving Off Highway Logging Truck the first time the driver discovered it was missing when he pulled into the Nekite River Dump behind me , the pin was found on the M/L about 6 miles out of Camp .

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird Malloch & Moseley , #142 Log Truck mishap .scan306.jpgscan307.jpgscan308.jpgscan309.jpg Last picture is BCFP Log Truck #6-239 going through river to get around wreck and get to dump .

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
That would not have been fun for the driver, especially landing in the water on his side.Was he OK ???
Truck looks fairly new and took a hard hit but it looks like it took the beating well..

Having been flipped over myself a few times and having my truck land on its drivers side in a ravine I find myself having a personal moment with the pictures..
I hope he is OK...

camptramp

Occupation
That would not have been fun for the driver, especially landing in the water on his side.Was he OK ???
Truck looks fairly new and took a hard hit but it looks like it took the beating well..

Having been flipped over myself a few times and having my truck land on its drivers side in a ravine I find myself having a personal moment with the pictures..
I hope he is OK...

The driver was young and tough besides being shook up he came out of it okay , really good guy really good driver , just a bit of bad luck . One suggestion that came out of it was to drill a hole in pin under funnel and make a safety pin out of wire to insure reach pin can't bounce out .

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Glad to hear he was ok...I have a picture in my head of the pin.Tapered on the bottom,flat bar welded across the top,chain welded on to the flat bar and hair clip on the chain..Dont know when it came to be but that's what I remember.I could be thinking of the wrong pin tho..

camptramp

Occupation
Toby Hird Malloch & Moseley , Sept. 14,1984 M & M were working for BCFP Renfrew Div. in the Tr. 10 ,View attachment 145387View attachment 145388 Loop Cr. area while moving #402 Madill 009 Yarder down a hill it had a run away .

When I first posted this picture I failed to recognize long time Malloch & Moseley employee , Master Mechanic Ken Madison in 2nd picture lower right corner .

camptramp

Occupation
Malloch & Moseley Muir Creek Div. #70 a Kenworth Highway logging truck in an All Sooke Day Parade .scan220.jpgscan221.jpg Wouldn't the DOT have a fit if they caught you driving through Down Town Sooke with that load today .

Last edited:

Diane Marie

Occupation
Retired counselor, now running around taking photo
Wouldn't the DOT have a fit if they caught you driving through Down Town Sooke with that load today.

Yes they would, because there haven't been loads or logs that big since they were born! I, too, remember when loads like this went down Main Street in my Oregon hometown, dropping mud and bark everywhere. :cool2

Love these vintage logging shots.