• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rivers Inlet & other Malloch & Moseley Operations

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Diane - I have driven by that old teepee burner many times, when the mill was still there and after it was gone. Was that located at Setzer Forest Products, or the other mill? I went to HS in Yreka and hunted over at Lower Klamath in the fifties and early sixties. More recently we hunted "squeaks" out of McDoel. Cal Setzer was one of my neighbors before we moved to Idaho last summer.

Diane Marie

Occupation
Retired counselor, now running around taking photo
Diane - I have driven by that old teepee burner many times, when the mill was still there and after it was gone. Was that located at Setzer Forest Products, or the other mill? I went to HS in Yreka and hunted over at Lower Klamath in the fifties and early sixties. More recently we hunted "squeaks" out of McDoel. Cal Setzer was one of my neighbors before we moved to Idaho last summer.

Sidney, I don't know the names of the mills in Dorris, but my avatar is the one closest to town from the bug station. I moved away from the area when I was 13 (1962) and moved back to Klamath Falls 8 years ago, so there is a gap in my knowledge of a lot of details. What in the world are squeaks? :confused:

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Interesting - I left Siskiyou county to go to college in 1961, but came back one more summer to work with my dad logging. So we have about the same time frame. "Squeaks" are the nickname for the Beldens ground squirrels that infest the alfalfa ranches around McDoel and Klamath Falls. They are a problem and the ranchers cannot use poison on them because of protected raptor species that would ingest the poison.

Diane Marie

Occupation
Retired counselor, now running around taking photo
Interesting - I left Siskiyou county to go to college in 1961, but came back one more summer to work with my dad logging. So we have about the same time frame. "Squeaks" are the nickname for the Beldens ground squirrels that infest the alfalfa ranches around McDoel and Klamath Falls. They are a problem and the ranchers cannot use poison on them because of protected raptor species that would ingest the poison.

Oh! I didn't know anything about those critters. Right, poisoning them would pretty much wipe out the raptors.

vwerin

Camp - Do you happen to have any other photos of Lea Fortin around? I am his step granddaughter, granddaughter to Aileen Fortin. I didn't know these photos existed and I know our family would love to have copies if possible. Haven't seen a picture of Papa in years. Very emotional. Please let me know :) -Erin email vwerin@gmail.com

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
"Boulder Bill" Elliott has loan us some pictures from the Malloch & Moseley Archives curiosity of Gordy Isacson . 4th picture is of General Shovel loading smaller size logs out of Rubber Tire Skidder / Cat shows . 5th picture is a 405 Koehring Log Loader .scan 150 M&M.jpgscan 151 M&M.jpgscan 152 M&M.jpgscan 153 M&M.jpgscan 154 M&M.jpg

Boomchain

Occupation
Fuel Hauler
Toby Hird Malloch & Moseley , Rivers Inlet Div. 1st picture June 1976 snow still 15 - 20 feet deep at bottom of Winter Snow Slide area . 2nd - 3rd pictures new Warner Swasey excavator Aug. 1976 . 4th picture Air Track Rock Drill at work Aug 1976 . 5th picture Rock Truck hauling unwanted wood from Dryland Sort .View attachment 145272View attachment 145273View attachment 145274View attachment 145275View attachment 145276

I remember running that airtrack with Wayne Robson

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
The roadbuilder in post 389, what are the "lugs" for on back of bucket?

Great pictures again, many thanks.

John: The lugs on the back of the bucket are actually boxes that you can insert ripper shanks into. I would think, with the advent of quick changes, a separate ripper attachment would be the preferred option today.

Last edited:

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
John: The lugs on the back of the bucket are actually boxes that you can insert ripper shanks into. I would think, with the advent of quick changes, a separate ripper attachment would be the preferred option today.

Thanks DBDLS, not seen them before. This forum is great for picking up some different ways to do things. Cheers.