• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rehabing Case 855D; tracks are very noisy; need some advice please

viking1

I'm chiming a little late , but when working on u/c issues I have my sons friends come over , they're football players you know like lifting weights etc. " Bet you can't pick that up". " Ok then you can't put that here while I start these bolts?" On idlers and heavier things you got to challenge 2 of them as a team . They are rough on strong bars and ratchets though.

That's a good plan Sir..... :)

viking1

Yair . . . viking1. Good stuff! It's nice to see you up and running.

Cheers.

Thx Scrub; its really great having the old girl running better and stronger than it ever has 25 years after it was made. I picked up this little Ford 4500 yesterday; already starting the renovation by giving it a fresh coat of "Power Tan" to match my fleet.... :)
IMAG0508.jpg

viking1

One day turnaround on fresh paint job for "new" Ford 4500...... :)
IMAG0510.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . viking1 . Nice tidy machine . . . what is her purpose in your operations?

You folks in the US call them skip-loaders I think . . . does it have PTO and standard ag. three point linkage or does the grader box have a different system?

Your example has nice chunky looking rubber.

I sure like the hills and cactus in the background . . . I think I could feel very comfortable at you place.

Cheers.

viking1

Yair . . . viking1 . Nice tidy machine . . . what is her purpose in your operations?

You folks in the US call them skip-loaders I think . . . does it have PTO and standard ag. three point linkage or does the grader box have a different system?

Your example has nice chunky looking rubber.

I sure like the hills and cactus in the background . . . I think I could feel very comfortable at you place.

Cheers.

Yup that's a skip loader, I will use it to grade my road for now. The tires are BRAND new (still have the tabs between the treads). It has a has a plate over the rear diff for a PTO, and a backhoe setup that has been converted to a gannon 3 point by the P.O. (my buddy). I'll have to fix that up a bit (doesn't raise quite high enough via hand pump).

Ya, its nice and quiet out here. Built everything here over the last 20 years; my final resting place...... :)

viking1

I finally got the time to go thru all the cylinders of the 35C backhoe that came on my 855D. Gave her a new coat of power tan as well, and repaired the cab sheet metal with aluminum diamond plate I had laying around (I know; its a little "blingy"). No leaks at all, and working great. Flushing the water out of the system was an expensive and dirty pain-in-the-wazoo, but it needed it. Now I just have to figure out how to tighten up the control linkages, and I'm back to 100%. Up next after that is replacing the old incandencent lights with LED's...
IMAG0006_BURST002_COVER.jpgIMAG0007_BURST002_COVER.jpg

viking1

Yair . . . viking1. Nine to see you back.

That sure looks to be a handy machine.

The military used to have them here but seldom do you see them in civilian hands.

Cheers.

Indeed its been quite handy to have around. After I fix the hoe control linkages, I have to figure out why my left side track is binding a bit. Sharpening the teeth on sides of the big drive sprocket. I just replaced the rear roller and broken guard back there. Might have welded it (guard) together a bit off, as it seems to be catching.
IMAG0016_BURST002_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

viking1

Yair . . . viking1. There is something amiss there. Hopefully it is just the guard but I would look into it ASAP . . . high priority in fact.

Cheers.

Ya Scrubs; turned out to be the guard. It had been bent and broken off years ago and welded poorly. I rewelded and installed it after putting the new roller back on, but it was binding the chain because the angle wasn't right (and also the Loctite might have given out on a couple bolts). I'll grind back the shiny spot on the guard a good amount, and also grind off the sharp edges on the sprocket. You could shave with some of the teeth. Not good, but hopefully I caught it in time....
guard.jpg

viking1

Yair . . . Good one viking1. Looks like a low dollar fix.

Cheers

One would have hoped that would be the case, but it turns out that ISNT the problem. I pulled the guard and cleaned up the sprocket, but when I run the machine, the middle of the left side track is pulling in hard towards the middle of the machine and binding things up. I didn't want to run it that way, so I shut it down and lifted up the back. All rollers are turning OK on the left side, but are getting pretty chewed up on the inside edge. I have no idea what the issue is; the very rearward left roller is new, and that seems to be where the problem starts. Going to start a new thread to see what feedback I can get....

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . viking1. I don't know your machine at all but wear patterns like that can occur when track frames get bent or out of alignment . . . also failing bearings on sprocket shaft only usually in that case they are leaking oil.

Are you sure this is not a residual problem from when you started the thread about "noisy tracks"? I imagine that amount of scrubbing would be fairly noisy.

In other words how many hours have you done since then what with all your other problems?

Cheers.

Last edited:

viking1

Yair . . . viking1. I don't know your machine at all but wear patterns like that can occur when track frames get bent or out of alignment . . . also failing bearings on sprocket shaft only usually in that case they are leaking oil.

Are you sure this is not a residual problem from when you started the thread about "noisy tracks"? I imagine that amount of scrubbing would be fairly noisy.

In other words how many hours have you done since then what with all your other problems?

Cheers.

Once the new turbo engine was in, I moved around 120 tons of material in 24 machine hours. Hard (but short) use, but this issue didn't exist then. The only thing I can think of is its either the extra hoe weight is overpowering the older 4 rollers, or a final drive bearing like you said (what with all the extra horsepower now). No oil leaking at the end by the sprocket though....

viking1

OK, ready to throw in the two new rollers, but I cant get the track adjuster to collapse. Removed the zerk fitting, have a come-along pulling it back, and am banging on it with a sledge but still no go. Anyone have any ideas?

mitch504

Check and make sure the idler isn't crooked and binding in the frame, or otherwise stuck

Put a timber between your bucket and idler and use bucket dump

put your idler against a stump and push

viking1

Check and make sure the idler isn't crooked and binding in the frame, or otherwise stuck

Put a timber between your bucket and idler and use bucket dump

put your idler against a stump and push

Normally that's what I'd do Mitch, but I have the machine up in the air with the hoe stabilizers and front bucket with one roller removed. I THINK I might be able to squeak in the new roller tomorrow and button it back up to do that; hope so!!

viking1

Threw in the two new rollers (all three at the back are new now), but track still jumping to the inside of the inner flanges on occasion. I had a friend watch it as I was moving, and he said the track isn't even touching the two frontmost rollers. I guess I will try the weld build-up repair on the two I took off (bearings & seals still good). It ONLY does this on the left track on hard left turns it seems. The track adjuster still wont loosen w the zerk out; but track is at proper adjustment. Really strange (could it be a "stretched" track?). It DID move over 100 tons of dirt in the last two days while repairing a crossing, so I guess all is not lost..... :)
IMAG0050.jpgIMAG0051.jpgIMAG0052.jpg

Dickjr.

Can you post some close up pics of the rollers , rails , and how the rails set in the rollers , and bushings in the rails ? You may want to have a local psr guy look at the uc and actually measure it. I know these are harder on uc than the dozers are with the added weight on the front.