• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plow trucks

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
can anyone shed some light to how front engine pto's work for large truck snow plows...? where does the shaft run from, etc. Thanks in advance! :)

that F550 I have posted is a belt driven pump that works off the crankshaft...it is very nice to operate, all I have to do is press a switch instead of pressing in the clutch and pulling out on a lever

as for an actual PTO on a truck I will let people that know more about it step in here, I have an overall idea but not exactly sure

woodchuck2

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here are my trucks, both 2006 2500HD's with Duramax/Allie combo and 8' Fisher blades. The 6' sander can be put in either truck as i have installed control boxes in both.

Attachments

• truck with sander3.jpg
    truck with sander3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,733
  • truck with sander2.jpg
    truck with sander2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,603
  • new truck.jpg
    new truck.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2,221

Bu1cko

Occupation
Firefighter, Work Part time for a roads dept
The trucks i run have a shaft connected straight to the crank shaft that comes staright out the front to a pump mounted behind the front bumper. Pump runs all the time.

special tool

The trucks i run have a shaft connected straight to the crank shaft that comes staright out the front to a pump mounted behind the front bumper. Pump runs all the time.

That's a "live PTO".
I had an International 2574 with 671, wing and tailgate sander once in a past life.
This year, I miss her....:crying

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
can anyone shed some light to how front engine pto's work for large truck snow plows...? where does the shaft run from, etc. Thanks in advance! :)

The pump is connected to the crankshaft by a short driveshaft that goes through the radiator. The more modern trucks are able to disengage the pumps either by cable or air operation.

granitefan713

Occupation
Design Technician
Here are two new plow trucks, and one soon-to-be plow truck.

Attachments

• 100_4109.jpg
    100_4109.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,462
  • 100_4105.jpg
    100_4105.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • 100_4075.jpg
    100_4075.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,456

d4c24a

gritter

here is a picture of what i drive here in the UK
its coming up to 9 years old now
cheers graham

Attachments

• 100_0331.JPG
    100_0331.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,433

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Use two of them here. Ford f350 with a 7.3 powerstroke and 6 speed. Have a hydroturn one way as well as a real live very rare high speed Vee plow for it when things get a bit rougher. I mean a real vee to, not one of those bend in the middle wana be ones. Use the vee to open and go back with one way to clean up. When things get really rough, widening and commerical parking lots out comes the Oshkosh with big Vee and wing.

12 Wyoming

A couple of mine.

99 Western Star with a 12' Jenning plow.

100_03591.jpg

100_03601.jpg

d4c24a

rubber

hi Grader4me
yes the plough has rubber squeegees on the bottom that are adjustable and reversible
the gritter box is made by econ http://www.econ.uk.com/
and are fully automatic all adjustments are done from in the cab ,the spinner also starts and stops with the vehicle
mine is one of the older vehicles on the fleet
the newer one are now fully tracked real time showing spread width, belt speed ,and gate opening ,the new system when up and running with operate the gritter settings from the main control room with satnav showing the route :cool2
all the operators have done is driven their route by the book with correct spreads ,rate of salt etc and it is then logged as a perfect route
if for some reason the regular driver is unable to attend and rookie driver to that route can take the vehicle out and follow the sat nav directions while the computer at the main control room ,controls the gritter :notworthy
well thats the idea anyway ,but it has some issues at the moment:bash
the real time tracking has proved invaluable to the local authority when a dispute has arisen over weather a road has been gritted or not following an accident
here are some more pictures sorry for the quality
cheers graham

Attachments

• 100_0033 (2).jpg
    100_0033 (2).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,237
  • Image003%20%282%29.jpg
    Image003%20%282%29.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,237

Grader4me

Thanks for the information! I enjoy seeing and hearing about differing types of snow removal equipment from all over the world. Your controls seem to be quite similar to ours. We don't have any type of navigational system yet, but I can see that happening in the future.
One of our contractors can track their trucks and I think that they know how much material they are putting on. I don't think they can control the application rate from the base.
That last picture looks like a good place to lose a mirror or radio antenna. :)

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Plow trucks:

Here are a few more plowing pictures... nothing special.
Kind of a blah morning. I-90, driving lane... just getting off shift.

DSCF0743.jpg
DSCF0742.jpg
DSCF0741.jpg
DSCF0740.jpg

OCR... :)

OCR

Occupation
Plow trucks:

I just happened to catch a couple Wyoming plow trucks at the state line, where we turn around. The turnarounds are staggered... Wyoming turns around in Montana, and vice versa... that way, the distance in between gets plowed.

Any way, I took a few pictures of their GPS and sander controls. At night, so they're not first class... in fact, the screen shots are down right poor... :(

I wish our setups were as nice as their's.

DSCF0733.jpg

DSCF0736.jpg

DSCF0737.jpg

DSCF0738.jpg

DSCF0739.jpg

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
man thats nice...i wish i had a map in the truck with me like that

OCR

Occupation
Plow trucks:

A while back, there was some discussion about Autocars... this is one that MDT has, and I drove the other night.

I had just gotten of shift, so I took a few pictures... It's not my favorite truck by any means, but it's probably got the biggest hood you'll ever look over... LOL

Drivers seat... looking over hood... took 3 pics. to get the whole thing... LOL

DSCF0761.jpg
DSCF0760.jpg
DSCF0762.jpg

OCR

Occupation
The truck... yes, the one with the 15 speed under drive... ;)

She's getting to be an awkward old girl... age, I guess... :(

DSCF0763.jpg

DSCF0764.jpg

DSCF0766.jpg

DSCF0767.jpg