• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plow trucks

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Plow trucks:

Holy Moly OCR..that is a big hood! lol

Yup Grader4me... you definitely feel like you're in a real truck... when you're sitting in that seat.

It's got a steering wheel about the size of an old time wagon wheel too...:rolleyes:... LOL

You can just catch a glimpse of it in the first picture.

It does have power steering, though... :cool2

OCR... :)

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Plow trucks:

Here is a picture of the Plow/Wing/Sander controls in our new trucks.

Don't touch a thing... I'll be right up!... ;)

Very nice... when you get a chance, explain what every thing does.

Looks like a 10 speed??

International??... Looks like their logo over on the passenger side dash.
Could be wrong on that though.

I see your reflective vest is in it's proper place... :rolleyes:
We have, what looks to be, the same kind... only we wear ours... LOL
I know, it's for the passenger... :p

Again, nice truck Grader4me.

Grader4me

Looks like a 10 speed??

International??... Looks like their logo over on the passenger side dash.
Could be wrong on that though.

Yes, it's a International "Workstar" 8LL shift. Here is a picture. I will explain how all the contols work a little later.

New International.jpg

Grader4me

Hey OCR here is a break down on how the controls work

Joystick works in a t cross pattern and its for the wing and plow. Pull back for the front end of the wing to come up. Ahead for the front wing down. Pull to the left for the back end of wing up. To the right back end of wing down. You can bring the back and front up at the same time by cornering or down using the same method. Trigger on the front of the joystick is the rear wing float. Squeeze to activate the float, squeeze again to deactivate it.

The four buttons on the joystick: top button is plow up, bottom button is down. Left and right buttons are for a reversible plow.

The white push buttons on the console are for box up & down, inter box up & down. Rear wing slide up & down.

The box connected to the console and the screen on the post are the dicky john control point sander controls.

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Plow trucks:

Hey OCR here is a break down on how the controls work

Very nice, Grader4me... :thumbsup

I'm a wee bit envious... nothing I can do about it though... LOL

You go'na be the first to run off the road and get stuck?... ;)

Grader4me

Very nice, Grader4me... :thumbsup

I'm a wee bit envious... nothing I can do about it though... LOL

You go'na be the first to run off the road and get stuck?... ;)

Don't get to drive them much anymore. Just when training the new guys.
When we first converted to the one person plows we had air over hydraulic controls, similar to your picture. Still have a few kicking around.
Now most of our controls are the electric over hydraulic as my picture shows.
Have I ever been stuck? Does a bear poop in the woods? lol

770G

Grader4me, how do you like single joystick control? We are all still air over hydraulic where I am. We run Workstar's here now too, but in crappy automatic. We even still have an old western star with straight hydraulic spreader(knob an stick)... You sure can put out material in a hurry with it;) I'll get pics tomorrow, got a couple I'll post now

770G

Workstar

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331485187.406974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331485187.406974.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 706
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331485201.804852.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331485201.804852.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 695

770G

770G in a flash snow squall

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331485369.222950.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331485369.222950.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 699

Grader4me

Grader4me, how do you like single joystick control? We are all still air over hydraulic where I am. We run Workstar's here now too, but in crappy automatic. We even still have an old western star with straight hydraulic spreader(knob an stick)... You sure can put out material in a hurry with it;) I'll get pics tomorrow, got a couple I'll post now

The joystick is more user friendly and they work great..have very little problem with them. We used to have the air over hydraulic but have them all converted now. I see in your picture a control point dickey john..same thing we have..still have quite a few of the older style (ICS 2000)
Yes..we used to have the straight hydraulic spreaders as well. Who calibrates your dickey johns? Nice pictures by the way..

770G

The mechanics we have on staff calibrate our spreaders. Thx on the pics.... Found another of my grader ;)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331492156.856372.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331492156.856372.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 682

770G

Ya all U bodies for the most part. Some old plows still around other yards with other styles.... Tail ups, side dumps, hoppers. Cool that you do the dicky john's, I would have the slightest clue how to. lol

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I cant figure out how to post a thread, with my problem
I have a 97 Freightliner, tandem dump truck. L10 Cummins, with a Eaton 9speed automatic tranny. It is not a autoshift (no clutch pedal) It is a ex State DOT truck, has 126,000 miles on it. I have owned the truck for 10 months and never had a problem, until 4 days ago. Driver called and said the tranny temp guage was 225 degrees (normal 190) and the tranny was acting like it was slipping, when you went to take off.
It seems like this is a transmission, that my mechanics are not familiar with. It looks like a normal 9 speed Eaton, with a torque convertor, in front of it. It has air operated servos, that shift the Eaton, when the computer tells it too.
It is full of fluid (automatic transmission fluid)
If anyone has any ideas, please PM with any ideas and or phone numbers, for tech support. Im afraid my mechanic, is going to start changing parts and fix nothing
I drove the truck and when you take off, there is a small delay and it goes in gear, then it shutters, when the torque convertor engages.
NOTE: the air system is slow to build up, I think the compressor, is going out. The air system has 115 psi, when operating the tranny
I plan to get rid of this truck, but I have to get it fixed first
any ideas
Thanks

Dom

You guys have all u bodys?..ever see the inter dump boxes? I calibrate all the spreaders in my area.

Grader4me, I grew up in Memramcook NB, now live in Halifax.
I was dissapointed to see yellow plow trucks in NB instead of the old green machines. :cool:
Nice to see NB is well equipped. The joystick ressembles Suregrip levers that are really popular for logging machines (harvesters).

770G

Here's one of our new plows, not mine but exactly the same... The last 5 years this is what they've been buyin......this year International got under bid buy Mack, but those ones babies won't be here for awhile yet.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331586785.261824.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331586785.261824.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 612