• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PipeLaying/Utility Work.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
There was a company around these parts that used to plumb hydraulic quick couplers into the cooling systems of their loaders... and the foreman's trucks as well... the foreman drives his truck from his home to the company's yard/jobsite, and then connects his truck's cooling system together with the cooling system of the loader, which gets the cold engine of the loader up to operating temperature while the foreman sips on his coffee and has a smoke in his truck... :)

That's pretty slick right there. :cool:

928G Boy

in case you were wondering how all the concrete pipe connects in the second pic of my last post with pictures... (lol dont worry, it looks like a mess in the pictures but it turned out nice.)

Attachments

• 2005 nrc season 104.jpg
    2005 nrc season 104.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 703
  • 2005 nrc season 103.jpg
    2005 nrc season 103.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 711
  • 2005 nrc season 106.jpg
    2005 nrc season 106.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 700

nedly05

There was a company around these parts that used to plumb hydraulic quick couplers into the cooling systems of their loaders... and the foreman's trucks as well... the foreman drives his truck from his home to the company's yard/jobsite, and then connects his truck's cooling system together with the cooling system of the loader, which gets the cold engine of the loader up to operating temperature while the foreman sips on his coffee and has a smoke in his truck... :)

A lot of loggers do that up here. I tarp my skidder at night, then put a salamander on the engine in the AM. When the snow starts to melt on the hood she'll start. What fun!

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
yea i've heard of doing that, in reference to hooking the foremans pickup up to the cooling system on the machine. I;ve had a few times I had to leave equipment running 24/7 so we could do a job. I left a mechanic there to make sure nothing broke down. How much can you get done when its that cold? The laborers must hate it.

928G Boy

yea i've heard of doing that, in reference to hooking the foremans pickup up to the cooling system on the machine. I;ve had a few times I had to leave equipment running 24/7 so we could do a job. I left a mechanic there to make sure nothing broke down. How much can you get done when its that cold? The laborers must hate it.

A lot of our winter work can be done inside of hoarding when it's that cold... If we're lucky. Sometimes we lay pipe, sometimes we get lucky and build structures in the winter like gate chambers, forced main pump stations...

I got pneumonia working in the cold a couple winters ago... My cousin got it bad last winter layin pipe in the cold, apparently he had it like 5 times?

Most of the time the problem is that you get too warm shovelling or something else physical and get soaking wet in sweat... then theres nothing to do for a while and you become a human popsicle... :(

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
In Bolan's first post #11 whats attached to the teeth of that hoe?

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder

Man, hadn't ever heard of anyone else doing that, figured there was though. The winter months were bout the only time we had time to crush Ag Lime and dealing with the frezzing temps each morning. Had two trucks with the quick couplers on as well as on the crushing plant, the old shovel and the dozer and loader. Worked very well, but when you were in your warm truck and the freezing cold water from the machine engine started going through it sure got cold again. Not only a slick way to warm machines up but a safer and easier way other than starting fluid or other means.
Trbo

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
in case you were wondering how all the concrete pipe connects in the second pic of my last post with pictures... (lol dont worry, it looks like a mess in the pictures but it turned out nice.)

Intresting pics, thanks for posting. I take it you have some preshaped former inside the pipe, then steel mesh and concrete over the lot?

In Bolan's first post #11 whats attached to the teeth of that hoe?

I think it is a bit of cutting edge over the middle teeth to give a smooth bottom to the trench. Saves rubbing it with the back of the bucket, quicker, and less wear.
Also leaves the outer teeth free to do thier business when digging.

bushcat

Occupation
heo
block heaters are a must!! When it's that cold you can only start a machine if you absolutely have to... Or run it 24 hours a day and park it indoors when not in use like we do sometimes with our loaders and graders on snow removal...

Up here in the north we use propane hockey stick heaters that work very well to keep the engine nice and warm!

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
heaters

Up here in the north we use propane hockey stick heaters that work very well to keep the engine nice and warm!

My TerexAtlas 1705M rubber duck has a programmable night heater :cool: I can set it up to come on for a max of 2hrs at a time, and I can do that 3 times in any 24hrs.
I usually have it come on 90mins before start up and when I turn ignition on it has the water up to around 60c. I was told the machine was originally going to Sweden :) good result for me as its not putting hours on the clock warming up in the morning :drinkup

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
YoungOne, These are not my pictures, just ones off the net I thought you might like. Hopefully I can post some of Rainwater Const.'s pictures in the near future. ZAXIS
3 deere in the woods.jpg

44.jpg

47882809_8b5cbec345.jpg

00900.jpg

33.jpg

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
i just love the first pic with all of those deere in the forest...any more of it please?Were do you found it?
epuipment fan, I found the ones with the "three deeres in the forest" on flickr-there may be more on that persons site there. I just searched for "excavator" and got about 2400 pictures that came up. (Yes I did look at them all). ZAXIS