• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures of your Backhoe!!!!!

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I have a few not much. Mostly older stuff. Wish I could make a video on a regular day but theres really no time to be messing around with a camera. During the summer literally 15 mins for coffee in the morning other than that I dont stop moving all day.

On average we shoot to get 280ft a day. Somedays more some less all depending were we are and what we run into. Ledge, utilities, busy road, etc.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Few other machines working on the same jobs as us.

Attachments

• 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,190
  • 172.jpg
    172.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,200
  • Picture306.jpg
    Picture306.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,208

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
those komatsu backhoes suck my dad got the front bucket stuck in the back of a tandem

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Ive only messed around with a 140. Thought it was light and awkward. Cant really judge it though. The guy that owned the machine said he loves it, just had alot of electrical problems with the trans. Looked like a nice machine but watching it carry manholes it looked very bouncy and unbalanced.

pwrstroke6john

The only thing ive noticed with the komatsu's are the cabs are real small, Its alot alot like a new holland 115 I was in before. I rememeber I couldnt swing my feet around normally to the backhoe and I only wear a 10.5 boot.

DGODGR

those komatsu backhoes suck my dad got the front bucket stuck in the back of a tandem
I'm not a fan of Komatsu TLBs (I have never even ran one), but this sounds like an operator issue, and has nothing to do with wether the machine sucks or not.

Gmc7210

Occupation
Owner of small excavating/landscaping company
pictures of your backhoe

Me digging a stump with the old 210c

Attachments

• backhoe stumper.jpg
    backhoe stumper.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2,016

maloba

nice pics. pse check 4 me the goin prices at the auction 4 future ref

They're not mine, but moving them around the yard... you just get sort of attached to them..

Bar None Auction

am interested in purchasin a unit soon as i learn enough of these backhoes. i think a comparative price survey will go a long way in helpin me make the right decision.thanx ironman

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
diggerdave does you backhoe have a lot of slop in the back mine does when running it like half throttle so when ever I run the back its always full throttle it goes a lot smoother

DGODGR

diggerdave does you backhoe have a lot of slop in the back mine does when running it like half throttle so when ever I run the back its always full throttle it goes a lot smoother

I think it's easier to blend the functions when you have all the hydraulic fluid that the system is demanding. IMO if the pump is not providing enough fluid the openning of one valve will effect the action of an already open valve more than if you had the pump running at full capacity.

diggerdave1958

Cat980 i would'nt say it has a Lot of slop, but there is some slop for sure, msot of my work is for underground, sewer, water and septic tanks, and fields so i am not always running full throttle i guess i have just gotten use to the slop, lol

jcb1968

some pics of my JCB 3CX,
Older JCB 3CII
and an Old JohnDeere2130 tractor

Attachments

• farm & boat march 2010 001.jpg
    farm & boat march 2010 001.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,831
  • sony erricson mar 2010 460.jpg
    sony erricson mar 2010 460.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,162
  • DSC00908.jpg
    DSC00908.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,926
  • sony erricson mar 2010 461.jpg
    sony erricson mar 2010 461.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,821

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Heres a pic of my old ugly hoe. Its a 1975 Ford 3550 industrial. Its got a 2 stick front bucket and a 4 stick on the rear with the pattern set up after a Case with a hand swing. Its based on an industrial tractor the backhoe has a subframe it clamps to. I also have a Yale fork lift counter weight that I put mounts on to clamp it to the sub frame when using it for loader work only.
Dad bought her in 96 or 97 when we were clearing off some cutover property that we bought to put our shop on. I started on it the next day after we got it and never got off. I bought it from dad when I graduated college. I had run alot of wobble stick hoes in the past and the first day I was doing alot of cussing lol. That first job I cleared 150 2 foot diamete pine stumps over that fall and spring. I built a thumb for it when I was 18 for demo work and landscaping. I was the first in this county to have a thumb on a TLB. I got alot of work with this that a few of the big boys with new hoes didnt get. Im rebuilding the machine as I go when ever I have time I make new bushing for it.

I also replated the top of the front bucket and built the hooks and a set of forks. I need to make a mock set of hard lines to the loader bucket to get them copied at the hydro shop to make the front back to original specs. One time in its life it had been lost off a trailer and broke the back hoes stick. Its got an ungly patch job on it. The transmission is kind of an odd ball. Its got 3 forwards on it and bedhind the first 2 it has areverse and thje last one is a high forward. The seat is special to it folds over backwards to make the hoe seat.

I have it at work now at the landfill dad an I run. Its nice to hasve to load a a load of sand or do landscaping or in the wint its great to scrape out frozen dumpsters.

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,720

DGODGR

It's good to see that old hoe (even if it is "ugly" as you say). It looks like the same size and frame as the skip loaders (445s & 545s) that were so popular for so many years. I learned to run a backhoe on a 555. It was not quite as old as yours (I think it was an '81). It was a good hoe and if you take care of yours I'm sure that you will get a lot more years out of her yet. I think you may be mistaken about the control pattern. Fords came with there own unique pattern that was known (at least to us on the West coast) as Ford or Sherman controls. In fact when I was dispatched out of the hall the request stated "Sherman Controls" for operator qualifications. My 416C has those controls even now. Far left lever is crowd; next to the right is boom; next is bucket curl; and far right is swing. Foot pedal for extension, if equipped. I have had to run a Case a time or two (in emergencies) and I had to cross my hands over to run it halfway decent. Foot pedals (there will be two) are for swing on Case controls. There are a lot of your machines sister units still around (5500; 7500; 550; 755) that share that same style boom as yours. A lot of them have been fish plated in exactly the same manner as yours. I have even seen a few 555s & 655s with the same repair though I have never had one break under me before (and I have put a lot of hours on them).

Last edited:

CumminsTD

Occupation
Hydroelectric Turbines
Plenty of good looking machines around here, old and new. While they all do essentially the same job it's pretty cool to see how many different ways there are to skin a cat. Hopefully I can figure out how to get a few pics of my iron up here.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
DGODGR thanks for the compliments, Mine had been changes over to a Case pattern. Dad has=d some Cases when I was a kid. I like it it better than the Sherman controls. Dad and I put in a septic tank foar a friend log cabin. He had an old 4500 Ford hoe that was a highboy. Meaning it was based on the 4500 industrial but al lthe controlls for driving were extended and it had a platform like a newer machine. He wanted me to try it witg hi= his first and I couldnt hit the ground with it. I ran home and got mine. I bought his backhoe and finally got to be able to dig a hole. I didnt like driving it the seat sat low and to clutch it you had to put your knee behind your ear lol. The arms on the laoder had both been cracked and swollen from the moisture in them freezing.

I found out later why the arms were in bad shape, it was Prentiss County/ Booneville MS sewer lagoon. THey used it to scrap dried Sludge up into piles for disposal. I had the city workers banging it into the concrete bulkheads. We resold the 4500 to a factory that used it for maintenance.
I hope to have my old backhoe redone like they are in CLassic Plant Mag. I have seen a skiploader 3 point that mounts onto the mounts the backhoe mounts to. I want to find one mybe even build one. Id like to know how many stumps I got out, privet hedges pulled, brush piled, dirt loaded, barns piles and loaded and other things Ive done with it. Id like to get a 94 or 95 Ford 455 like my older brother had.

Last edited: