• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Shorten the frame to get the wheelbase down to 206 and that's about it. Found out that it had a stuck valve which broke a rocker stand so it's just been sitting since. I need to do something with it though as I would like to build a line spool truck out of it.
Where is it parked? I would like to see it.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Just out of curiosity, what is the major reason for making off-set cabs. I drove a DM800 for a few years interchanging it when it was broke down with a R600 and I never saw or felt any reason to have an offset cab. Pacifics, Hayes, Mack all used offset cabs. The KW 848 I drove for a short moment in time had a centered cab. I'm sure there was a reason, I just never knew it.

Welder Dave

Probably don't carry passengers too often and it allows room for the huge air cleaner so it isn't sticking outside the width of the frame. Exhaust also doesn't stick out. I'm not sure how much wider the off highway trucks are but maybe the dash and all the cab interior is shared with the highway models.

Tugger2

The offset gives better visibility on logging roads . you can keep lined up on the cliff side or the ditch side depending on which way the road is running down.Theres a lot of hood on those things to try and look over ,especially in close quarters in landings .im no log hauler ,but as a young shop guy id go for a burn in one every chance i got.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
The offset gives better visibility on logging roads . you can keep lined up on the cliff side or the ditch side depending on which way the road is running down.Theres a lot of hood on those things to try and look over ,especially in close quarters in landings .im no log hauler ,but as a young shop guy id go for a burn in one every chance i got.
This is it right here. You can look out that driver's window right down and see where your tires are at on the ground. If you're in a centered cab truck you're just relying on your mirrors for your rear view and basically running by feel or blind for the steers

Truck Shop

The offset gives better visibility on logging roads .
I thought about that and almost added it to my post, but then in that area at the bottom of
the planet you would have to move the cab to the right, but they don't have any trees worth
much so not much need in a truck like that down there, nz has a few trees left.:)