• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Old Doug

Driving 90kph(55mph) here may get you run over by the idiots. You have to be constantly aware of the tailgaters
They raised the speed limit to 60mph now there is a shortage of HPs so there is no limit on the highway i am close to .

cfherrman

I try to follow a semi that's going kinda fast but slows down often, probably a experienced drive going the correct speed of the road and they also slow down for bad spots and I can slow down way before I get to them. It's still a little slower than the light weight SUVs passing me but I make it. 3/4 ton pickup with 60 gallons in the bed.

Joe H

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Well, the trucker is going to be the one wearing the blame for that - he was the one right in the seat, controlling where it went.

We never went under a bridge with oversize, without stopping and checking - a lot of bridge height signs are wrong here (mostly, the bridges are higher than signposted).

But you never know when they might have done some road renovation and altered the clearance, and not changed the signage.

We once stopped and cursed our luck as we arrived a bridge we had permit clearance for (hauling a Cat 245 excavator), and found it was signposted lower than our travel height!
We set to and lowered the hydraulic suspension, and unbolted the A/C guard from off the cabin - then we sneaked forward to check overhead clearance - and then promptly found we had 2 feet to spare!!! :mad: :mad:

I like this one, he made a proper job on all those cars! But it looks like they were destined for the scrapper anyway, he just speeded up the job!

Truck Shop

Well it's obvious they only had half of the costume going, no three foot beard, no sparkling
face jewelry, no sun glasses on top of hat, and no safety vests with all kids of tactical gear
hanging, the little guy following spike turning in circles.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In the US Midwest repaving is the enemy. Fourth or fifth application of Asphalt and a 16’ limit is down to 15’6”. Signage not ever adjusted or highway engineering records.

Highways modernization is raising old overpasses and bridges but far from fast enough, to in many cases 18’ clearance. Room to fudge even worse.

crane operator

The guy who hit the bridge near me in Joplin with the crane on the lowboy- no ticket, no citation, no fines. MDOT says the overhead clearance wasn't right because of repaving, and the bridge was on their list to be replaced anyways, so the state is just going to take care of the bridge.

I don't know what their ins. company had to say about the truck and trailer, as well as the crane damage, but that's minor compared to buying the state a new bridge.

https://www.koamnewsnow.com/news/jo...cle_b90bf73a-0a1e-11ee-bf17-7fdc73c075b9.html

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Here on I-80 from Roseville to Donner Summit, which was built around 1964, they took to cutting the legs of the old bridges and jacking them up to 16 foot something, and recasting the concrete legs, rather than replacing them. Seemed like a smart idea for seldom used little roads that had become a bottleneck for oversize. They also seem to mill under any bridges when they repave, so it comes out the same elevation. In some places they mill miles of highway through open fields before overlay, don't know why they do that.

cfherrman

Well, the trucker is going to be the one wearing the blame for that - he was the one right in the seat, controlling where it went.

We never went under a bridge with oversize, without stopping and checking - a lot of bridge height signs are wrong here (mostly, the bridges are higher than signposted).

But you never know when they might have done some road renovation and altered the clearance, and not changed the signage.

We once stopped and cursed our luck as we arrived a bridge we had permit clearance for (hauling a Cat 245 excavator), and found it was signposted lower than our travel height!
We set to and lowered the hydraulic suspension, and unbolted the A/C guard from off the cabin - then we sneaked forward to check overhead clearance - and then promptly found we had 2 feet to spare!!! :mad: :mad:

I like this one, he made a proper job on all those cars! But it looks like they were destined for the scrapper anyway, he just speeded up the job!

The pilot cars here have poles on them to see if the clearance is correct, I still wouldn't know who's at fault I'm pretty much on your side

skyking1

I try to follow a semi that's going kinda fast but slows down often, probably a experienced drive going the correct speed of the road and they also slow down for bad spots and I can slow down way before I get to them. It's still a little slower than the light weight SUVs passing me but I make it. 3/4 ton pickup with 60 gallons in the bed.
There are two main passes at the middle and south end of the Cascades in Washington.
White pass is a two lane road with a few passing lanes, and is higher than the main road Snoqualmie interstate 90.
It gets plowed better because there is a minimum of plow trucks but only those two lanes.
The milk trucks with the winking cow on the back tank drive over White to the plant in Chehalis with all of the milk from the Yakima Valley and beyond.
1706381555947.jpeg
I get behind one of those guys and do not pass them at the passing lane. They are plenty fast enough and I have never seen one of them have problems.
They see the elk around Packwood for me and I can just sit back in the easy chair and let them do all the hard work. I lay back far enough that they know I am along for the ride. They blow off the fresh slush and rain, etc.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
In some places they mill miles of highway through open fields before overlay, don't know why they do that.

Almost every city, county, state and interstate here in Central AL is milled prior to resurfacing. Talking with some paving guys they said the gov't entities expect so many tons of millings to be credited back in the contract. I guess it's a way of saving money? No idea since I hate asphalt. :D

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Almost every city, county, state and interstate here in Central AL is milled prior to resurfacing. Talking with some paving guys they said the gov't entities expect so many tons of millings to be credited back in the contract. I guess it's a way of saving money? No idea since I hate asphalt. :D
Here in Washington, they claim it is cheaper. Mill the surface in the morning, send it to the plant and send it back out to lay down in the afternoon. I have read claims that less than 10% of the material is lost and would need to be replaced by new. No idea how accurate that claim is, but it is made regularly.
I can see the reasoning, finding aggregate here in the Puget Sound basin is getting more and more difficult with houses springing up everywhere and nobody wants a gravel pit in "their" back yard.