• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
A few days ago 2 guys died when a wheel and tire came loose from a mini car haul trailer on I-5 and went through their front window. That makes me wonder how often these over loaded trailers get jacked up to check wheel bearings for wear. I have the feeling the answer is not much.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Seems like there's some doubt about where that tyre (complete tyre and rim?) came from. Could have been a stray wheel from another vehicle, maybe it just got hit and bounced by the Ford hauling the trailer?

I collected a complete truck tyre tread one time, from a shredded truck tyre blowout. The intact tread section was lying on the highway, and the guy in front of me ran right over it.
Traffic was heavy at the time and everyone was sitting on over 100kmh.

It came out of nowhere from under his vehicle, and it smashed all the front of the little Toyota Corolla I was driving at the time (the car wasn't mine).
Broke the grille, smashed the RH headlight, and bent the hood so badly it had to be replaced. A real "brown corduroy trousers" moment for me.
Couldn't do a thing, it was all over in a second, no time to react even with a swerve, let alone hit the brakes.

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
I had a large wheel from the pickup behind me pass me on a country road (40 MPH)

I'd seen the idiot steering back and forth, looked like he had spacers.

It damaged the siding on the house it hit.

Interesting that it accelerated after it got off the truck.

I've also almost been hit by a set of duals that came off a semi on the Interstate.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
My workshop neighbour is a trucker and he told me this story that happened to him, while he was running East-West across Australia, way back in the late 70's or early 80's.
He only had one truck, but he got white line fever, running Perth to Sydney and return, and he drove about 20hrs a day - 7 days a week!

He was much younger and super-keen back then, and he loved the money rolling in! - to the point, at one stage, one dispatcher asked him, "how many trucks he had?".
When he replied "only the one", the dispatcher wouldn't believe him!
Of course, traffic was much lighter back in those days, driving hours had no limitations, and it was a bit of a free-for-all on the roads - as evidenced by the number of crashed trucks, back then.

Anyway - he told us he was hauling this triaxle trailer behind his KW, and he was well West of Adelaide, on the Eyre Hwy, nearing the Nullarbor Plain, in the middle of the night.

Nature called, and as the truckies were prone to do back in the good old days, he pulled up, unzipped, and let fly from the cabin door. Once done, you'd zip up, back in the cabin, and "on the road again!", as Willie says.

So, he's stopped on the shoulder having a whizz, after coming down a long gradual grade, onto a flat - when to his utter amazement, a set of duals trundled right past him, travelling steadily up the centre of the highway, at about 50kmh!!

Stunned, he jumped down and walked back to the triaxle trailer, only to find the centre set of RHS duals completely missing!
He told me he figured that the hub and duals must have gradually walked out, and must have come right off, only a minute or so before he pulled up.
He reckoned they must have travelled steadily down the grade behind him, and then went past him, right as he stopped to take a leak.

He said the worst part was, he had no way to re-install the duals - so he chained up the offending axle, and got going again.
But then, he said the trailer handling at speed, became something like a wild animal! - it was all over the highway, and he couldn't get it to pull straight!

So he stopped and pulled the wheels off the other end of the axle, just leaving the front and rear axles intact.
He chained up that side of the axle, and he said after he did that, the handling became a lot more controllable.

I guess he wasn't loaded to the limit, or the remaining tyres would've been seriously overloaded.
He made it O.K., in this axle-less manner, to a civilised town on the Western end of the Nullarbor Plain, where he was able to organise to have the unserviceable hub repaired.

He was in awe of the fact that this set of duals and hub had travelled right up the white line neatly for possibly 3 to 4 kms, and no-one had come the other way and collected them, in that period of time!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My workshop neighbour is a trucker and he told me this story that happened to him, while he was running East-West across Australia, way back in the late 70's or early 80's.
He only had one truck, but he got white line fever, running Perth to Sydney and return, and he drove about 20hrs a day - 7 days a week!

He was much younger and super-keen back then, and he loved the money rolling in! - to the point, at one stage, one dispatcher asked him, "how many trucks he had?".
When he replied "only the one", the dispatcher wouldn't believe him!
Of course, traffic was much lighter back in those days, driving hours had no limitations, and it was a bit of a free-for-all on the roads - as evidenced by the number of crashed trucks, back then.

Anyway - he told us he was hauling this triaxle trailer behind his KW, and he was well West of Adelaide, on the Eyre Hwy, nearing the Nullarbor Plain, in the middle of the night.

Nature called, and as the truckies were prone to do back in the good old days, he pulled up, unzipped, and let fly from the cabin door. Once done, you'd zip up, back in the cabin, and "on the road again!", as Willie says.

So, he's stopped on the shoulder having a whizz, after coming down a long gradual grade, onto a flat - when to his utter amazement, a set of duals trundled right past him, travelling steadily up the centre of the highway, at about 50kmh!!

Stunned, he jumped down and walked back to the triaxle trailer, only to find the centre set of RHS duals completely missing!
He told me he figured that the hub and duals must have gradually walked out, and must have come right off, only a minute or so before he pulled up.
He reckoned they must have travelled steadily down the grade behind him, and then went past him, right as he stopped to take a leak.

He said the worst part was, he had no way to re-install the duals - so he chained up the offending axle, and got going again.
But then, he said the trailer handling at speed, became something like a wild animal! - it was all over the highway, and he couldn't get it to pull straight!

So he stopped and pulled the wheels off the other end of the axle, just leaving the front and rear axles intact.
He chained up that side of the axle, and he said after he did that, the handling became a lot more controllable.

I guess he wasn't loaded to the limit, or the remaining tyres would've been seriously overloaded.
He made it O.K., in this axle-less manner, to a civilised town on the Western end of the Nullarbor Plain, where he was able to organise to have the unserviceable hub repaired.

He was in awe of the fact that this set of duals and hub had travelled right up the white line neatly for possibly 3 to 4 kms, and no-one had come the other way and collected them, in that period of time!
Gee, I can't understand, all day I see triaxle trucks with the third axle in the air. I get it, they scuff a lot turning, but they never seem to put them down.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
My truckie neighbour only chained up one end of the offending axle initially, this was what caused the trailer to misbehave with its handling. Once he chained up both ends of the axle, all was sweet.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I now see one or two axels lifted on empty tri axel trailers here. Not sure if they are lifted by air bag like a lift axel (which we don’t have in BC). I have seen empty quad dump trailers with an axel lifted front and back.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I now see one or two axels lifted on empty tri axel trailers here. Not sure if they are lifted by air bag like a lift axel (which we don’t have in BC). I have seen empty quad dump trailers with an axel lifted front and back.

Probably an airlift tag axle. They are standard issue on the tri-axle dumps around here.

Truck Shop

Some 25 years ago more like 28, a dump truck on the main drag which is highway 12, going
through city center Dayton Wa. A lady walking along the side walk was cut to pieces by the
lock ring that blew off the steer tire on the dump truck. Which cleaned out the 5 million dollar
no fault clause of contractors insurance. F--k those old type wheels, liability isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I don’t blame them. Heck most shops wouldn’t know how to do it safely anyway. I’ve got a couple 20” still laying around and 6 on an old dump truck but it puts around the property and is beyond every being in service.