• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I'm not sure how many of the platform trailers run a tyre inflation/monitoring system - but I know a lot of the trucks are running them now.
I agree on the PIA involved in checking pressures and changing flats - but they quite often simply call in a mobile tyre truck and fitters when they get a flat, unless they're a long way from a town.
In that case, that's where the pile of spares on the deck come in!

The big companies won't let their drivers change tyres, in case they take some skin off a pinkie, and have to have a week off on sick leave - and of course, most big company drivers haven't done a tyre fitters course, so that stops them from even touching a wheel nut.
But the smaller trucking companies still have a hands-on approach, and most of their drivers can change wheels, no problem.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Here's some of our local big modular platform trailers, built by Drake - you just keep pinning as many modules together as you require - up to 24 rows of axles if you need it.
All axles are fully height adjustable over a wide height range, the modules are self-steering, and they hydraulically widen as well.
The last one is TWO platform trailers carrying a big bucket wheel stacker/reclaimer. Got to be some weight in that load!

I was reading in a crane magazine recently, where one of the big iron ore miners in the North of Western Australia ordered approximately 30,000 tonnes of steel structural work, all built in Asia, to set up a new iron ore mine.

The steel structural work was all shipped in, largely prefabricated, and the haulage operators carried out 138 individual oversize load deliveries to take the steel structural work from the Port, to the new mine site inland, around 300 to 400 kilometres.

The structures were up to 8 metres wide, and the average individual load on the above numbers was 217 tonnes! Haven't seen any photos of those haul jobs yet!

Attachments

• DRAKE-18-ROW-1.JPG
    DRAKE-18-ROW-1.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DRAKE-18-ROW-2.JPG
    DRAKE-18-ROW-2.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DRAKE-PLATFORM-DOUBLE.JPG
    DRAKE-PLATFORM-DOUBLE.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 55

ianjoub

387730681_727416709428792_6070330795777616956_n.jpg

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I can hear his phone conversation from here. "Hey Ahmed! I'm gonna want a 20 ton bottle jack, a big pile of blocks, some scrap pieces of steel, about 6 big packets of 7018, the 9" angle grinder, the portable genset/welder - you know, the one we built up from the engines and generators laying around Mohammeds scrap yard.... Oh, and don't forget the 10 gallons of water we'll need, as well....."

skyking1

the last brokeback I saw was the worst. It was 15 years ago alongside the valley freeway in about 90 degree heat, which is our upper limits. What was it?
An overloaded rendering truck, dripping ooze onto the shoulder. They had to jack that up and scab it with the colorful rain.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
See that nonsense towing around here A LOT. Sad to say the landscapers do that and while do get DOT Caught is not all that often. Saw one early last summer, 38+ft TONGUE type three axle, had seven at least 60" zero turn and surrey walk behind mowers with racks full of blowers, weed wackers and a full rack of five gallon fuel jugs of yellow and red NO Straps or tie downs. All dragged by a Short bed, Half Ton.