• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ole "Fred" to the Rescue Again!!

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
There are few things around here my wife would support replacement for. "Fred" is one, the skid steer the other as both are used so often. I could purchase brand new and have support for the purchase. I won't as don't need the expense, nor want to have to operate profitable to justify that expense. I don't compete for any work; it finds me. I would like to have a boom truck with about a 20K lifting capacity however.

Had "Fred's" swing cylinder start leaking today and for some reason couldn't get the outrigger to come down. It a low pressure system, (1500psi) so maybe way too low from wear. That bed is vintage 1956.

1693TA

Occupation
Talked to the owner this morning and have sent him a lot and more photos of this job than posted here. He was kind of surprised at the amount of hours I've in the machine so far, (15) and of course concerned for the overall cost. He has never been around this type equipment, (as far as repair) and didn't readily grasp the concept of a "stuck" pin, and the amount of effort/time it takes to get them removed. He was really surprised to hear and I quote myself, "This lift hasn't seen a grease gun in years". Asked how I knew this to which I replied, "pins don't stick when kept greased"; to which he then replied it's never been greased in the nine years he's owned it.

I update my customers daily so this was standard operating practice for me and it eliminates confusion when the invoice slams down. Everything is fine after open communication so we proceed without further adieu.

1693TA

Occupation
Talked to my wife last evening about "Fred" and the constant need to be worked on before being able to be worked with. She is on board for his replacement without pushback. I typically do things at the shop autonomously from the family, but he's been around so long, he is part of the family. However as most any can see, he is past his prime and deserves retirement.

I'll start the hunt for a truck mount boom crane in the next few days. One of my former shop managers sold "National" brand cranes before being laid off when the office in Peoria, IL closed up and I always liked their products on jobsites.

1693TA

Occupation
No "Fred" action to report and I know how disappointed ya'll are over this but I did get the third cylinder extracted this morning early. Took almost two hours as both pins were very tight but did shove out, and the third pin for a link arm so it could be removed for clearance took a bit of work also. All in all, really pretty smooth.

Here are some photos:

Couple of 1X4 boards to use as a guide for my drift after the ground control panel is removed from it's mount:

20230823_081549.jpg

Starting to move after about 20 pounds with a 12lb sledge:

20230823_081600.jpg

Notice the rust on the pin:

20230823_090926.jpg

Pin travels through three bores on each side plus the bottom cylinder mount.

Voila!! She's out with the assist of the skid steer:

20230823_092352.jpg

Called hydraulic shop and they still cannot pick them up till Friday so gives me a bit of time to work on my lift.

1693TA

Occupation
Cylinders leave in the morning for rebuild. Hope to have them back early next week and can button this one up.

1693TA

Occupation
Cylinders leave in the morning for rebuild. Hope to have them back early next week and can button this one up.
Third strike and this vendor for cylinder repair is out, and history for me. I drove the three cylinders over to another repair facility 34 miles distant this afternoon. Not far at all and I didn't know they existed but it is a relatively new startup. They are equipped for the task I did see.

I don't have a lot of tolerance for vendors not doing what I need them to do when I need it done. Have even less tolerance for being between a pissed off customer and vendor who is sandbagging me. Been jacked around on three jobs with this outfit in the last month or so, but won't happen again.

Hopefully have the cylinders back the middle of next week if nothing special required. These are all counterbalanced cylinders so those will be calibrated also.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I have a hard time with some vendors because I’m small game to them. When I find a guy who does what he says he’ll do, I stick with ‘em. I feel your pain.

1693TA

Occupation
Time to generate a bit more revenue with the lift. Loaded up to trim some tree canopy's and clear an area to dump clean concrete demolition into.

20230830_074534.jpg20230830_074607.jpg

Haven't heard back on the other lift cylinders as of yet. Hopefully no problems with them.

1693TA

Occupation
Cylinders returned freshly rebuilt for the second manlift a few minutes ago. $1600.00 for the rebuild of all three. Owner shuttled them back to me. Said he was surprised at the amount as was I in reality. $300.00 is their base labor charge for rebuild plus the packing kits. They didn't charge for pressing the pin remnant which I'm told took a bit more than 45 ton to remove on their shop press. I only had 30 ton available so I feel vindicated which is good after the ass beating I took over it.

Hopefully everything slips together tomorrow morning without drama.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
After messing around with 5 stuck pins including a 5" excavator boom house pin, porta powers, and a portable cat hydraulic press. I have come to the realization that heat is the best way to go, used in combination with an air hammer or a hydraulic press.

The problem always happens when you can't drive it out, do to access issues. But i have heated a boss assembly got the pin to move and watched it reseize when the heat was removed. Also don't ever reassemble a dry pin and bushing. Use grease.

If you can bring that boom by my house I need to clean my gutters!

1693TA

Occupation
After messing around with 5 stuck pins including a 5" excavator boom house pin, porta powers, and a portable cat hydraulic press. I have come to the realization that heat is the best way to go, used in combination with an air hammer or a hydraulic press.

The problem always happens when you can't drive it out, do to access issues. But i have heated a boss assembly got the pin to move and watched it reseize when the heat was removed. Also don't ever reassemble a dry pin and bushing. Use grease.

If you can bring that boom by my house I need to clean my gutters!
I have a "Broco" burning bar setup and was almost tempted to use it on this but really for a 1.50" diameter pin, didn't want to get into the machine by not driving it through straight. I've went through the center of 4.00" pins or better quite easily but it's messy and hot. However, most formerly stuck pins usually tap out easily afterward.

1693TA

Occupation
Two lifting cylinders installed a lot easier than they extracted. I did use a bore flap wheel, (60 grit) on the pin bores to polish off the rust and a wire wheel on the bench grinder for the pins. Pins almost pushed in by hand only but very snug. Will get to building up the telescoping boom tomorrow as in the direct sunlight and hot. So far going very easily. Newly selected cylinder rebuilder did a very good job it appears.

1693TA

Occupation
Time to generate a bit more revenue with the lift. Loaded up to trim some tree canopy's and clear an area to dump clean concrete demolition into.

View attachment 293421View attachment 293422

Haven't heard back on the other lift cylinders as of yet. Hopefully no problems with them.
Received photos a bit ago of my lift with the guy trimming trees at quite a distance up. Says it works very well and without any issue. I gave some pretty detailed training and he's a smart guy so really don't expect anything to turn up.

1693TA

Occupation
Little progress on this lift. Hasn't settled any that I can tell in the several hours left alone.

Whodathunk the use of a welding clamp and precision 1X4 board for pin alignment? Pin pushed right through with very little effort:

20230902_091148.jpg

20230902_091230.jpg

20230902_124141.jpg

I'll build up the telescoping boom in the morning and remount the basket. If everything goes correct, this will leave tomorrow evening:

20230902_124239.jpg