• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old time operating techniques

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . RonG and I performed a very successful hijack of a thread on blade control . . . we started talking about cable blades and CCU's and such like.

RonG hinted at no longer used methods of cutting hard ground with a cable blade with no tilt.

It could be done by side cutting.

Normally you could scrape together a pile of dust or ant bed or even a log and get one sprocket backed up on it and get a corner of the blade into the ground.

Not all that efficient of course but it could be done and I believe it was one of the reasons slot dozing took so long to become established . . . there was a whole generation of operators out there who had been side cutting their entire careers and found it difficult to change.

Cheers.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Ya, ineffecient maybe but not for the times. It sure was better than the alternatives. Thanks for reminding me of ways and means long gone to pasture. Like cutting, excavating, and shaping county road ditches using only a 3T D7 and a Latourneo LS pull scraper, no grader on the project ever. Believe me I never became an expert as my Uncle Hurley was but sure had fun trying as a 15 year old kid on summer vacation from school.

grandpa

Yes,,,, and in real dry weather when the ground was so hard you had to crank your manuel tilt screw to even get started cutting. I remember those days,, replacing cables, adjusting winches,,, handling that dam*ed frayed cable. Yup,,, hydraulics all the way for me. You call them the good old days... my sweet petute. Just say'n...lol.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

You call them the good old days... my sweet petute. Just say'n...lol.

grandpa .I guess it was horses for courses and for the most part I agree. However, for working in timber in heavy dust at night the old cable pretty much was fool proof.

For a start when we went hydraulic we lost a lot of time with torn off hoses bent rams and the like.

I think the main reason we went with juice on those first D9G's was because those horrible bull-blades were a little cheaper than a proper "C" frame and a DDPCU at the time. We persevered though and better lighting and guarding evolved and we modified the hydraulics to take the hoses out of play.

Cheers.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I am onboard here guys,here is a wonderful chance to embarrass myself,hope I don't let you down.Our TD-18s had scarifier teeth on the Cframe,all we had to do was pull the pins so they could drop down and you could scarify the ground while backing up for another push so that you were working both ways.I took about 1300 pics using tri-x film while overseas and of course a lot of them were of heavy equipment and I should probably start posting some of them here since there are probably many here that could appreciate them.I posted a lot of them on the Red Power board over the years but they are not there any more so if you have visited that board over the years you may have seen some of them.See what you did Scrub Puller?LOL
Ron G

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . RonG . I have never been over to the Red Power site and if you are prepared to post old pictures here I for one would be delighted . . . never had much to do with Internationals either so any commentary would be appreciated.

Cheers.

DPete

Yep, used to do it Scrub back when all I had was muscle tilt. Most of todays "operators" don't even know what a friction is much less cross friction going downhill ;)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Yep, used to do it Scrub back when all I had was muscle tilt. Most of todays "operators" don't even know what a friction is much less cross friction going downhill ;)

This brings to mind the steering clutch lever adjustments on the TD-18 and was brought to our attention in heavy equipment school at ft leonard wood.The friction levers were hydraulic assist on them and the adjustment was on the individual spools that activated the assist as you moved the clutch lever and had to be done with the engine running of course.
Ones preference would be to straddle the levers and bend over to make the adjustment with a couple of wrenches,the gotha part was when you overadjusted the steering clutch lever would activate itself and catch you in the where the light don't shine.Ron G

Cam85

Sorry Scrub but it would be un Australian of me not to do a bit of stirring on this one.

I think u mean the bad old days Su blades blade tilt pin select blade roll fast hydrolicks quiet air cabs oh and let's not forget power shift oh I love it all oh oh and electric start oooh yea ha ah ah lol.

I do know what u mean though although I hate cable blades in timber direct drive is still the best and personally I think
everybody should start out on open cab gear this teaches u to use the wind 2 ur advantage.

Not to mention the old frame and strait blade still has it's place and the method of using them teaches u a bit.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
image.jpgHey Cam85, we all like our comfort but even a young lady can operate these old cable machine. Just kidding. Of course we can probably not call push starting a 2U D8 operating in the true sense of the word. Heres a picture of my 9U D6 push starting my 2U D8. Both cable, the 9U has hydraulic tilt added by machining a shaft into the PTO and mounting a pump. Not live but sure beats turning the screw by hand.

td25c

Nice looking cable dozers old-iron-habit .

My first dozer was a cable blade HD 16 Allis - Chalmers with manual tilt . I really enjoyed that tractor , was a pleasure to operate . I later added hydraulic tilt using a 12 volt hydraulic power pack and mounted the toggle switch on the blade handle . Cut down the turnbuckle on the right side of the blade and welded a cylinder in to it .

As far as operation , with a good cutting edge and proper positioning for the cut I never had much trouble with it . We ended up trading the old HD 16 on another piece of equipment .

Cam85

Old iron nice picks the old 6 looks to b in good shape have u got any more?

Hey Nige yes I love a good seat even the modern sprung high backed seat is big improvement on those old back wrecking things u would c in a say a d8k.
But I must confess the really old seats like the sort of thing u would c in a d6c just Vinel stretched over foam on a bit of ply wood I diddent mind em and I reckon it teaches u to drive smooth

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Looking at You tube over the years it looks like some folks don't realise that if you pull both clutches back together you can (to some extent) make your rear mounted PCU go "live" . . . very handy if you go in too low on a stump or your pusher too low when tipping out a tree.

When scooping (towed scraper) in the days before power shift some fellers (on some tractors) got quite adept at going up and down through the box . . . my favourite was the three speed torque converter HD16.

Bloke I moonlighted for on a road ran them flat chat which in third was close to 8mph.

High balling back into to the cut scraper low, shut of the noise with the decel, bump the winch, give it a blip back into second then same thing back to low, sometimes you had to double clutch it but mostly you could suck them through just bumping on the winch . . . same thing loaded shifting up, once you got the hang of it a bump on the winch and double clutching would get you up to speed.

It was much the same on the direct drive six speeds, I never drove them much but I think depending on conditions you skipped a few speeds up and down.

Cheers.

Cam85

Scrub u moonlighted no that's a terrible thing to say ( big grin )

Yea mate 6 speeds are the go love em plenty to choose from.

( what's the point of having teeth if u don't clean em ? Ha ah ha lol )

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Old iron nice picks the old 6 looks to b in good shape have u got any more?

Not sure if you meant more pics of the 9U or if you meant more pics. Heres one that I just picked up as a retirement present for myself.

If you search UTube for oldironfinal you can view a video of quite a few of our old toys. My wife and I host a get together at the homestead every fall and introduce folks to running (with supervision) the old stuff. We do it by invite only to keep it sized small enough to keep it under control.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 506

Cam85

I did mean of the 9u but it's all good wow that's an old scoop I must say it looks bloody cold over there.
If I ever get over there I'll have to come 4 a look.

In the summer of course.

Cam85

Oldiron I had a look on u tube I'm impressed the old wrist breaking grader's wow I can't believe they're still around.

I really like the d2 5u and the d6 9u