• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old time operating techniques

tctractors

chevy43, it might be worth having a look at your Track Groups as the plates seem to be going backwards, the chains are on the correct way but the plates look to be fitted a bit off kilter, nice tractor by the way.

tctractors

chevy43

Yes you are right - good eye!. There are 320 rusty bolts holding them on and I just haven't gotten around to tackling that job....

Cam85

Awesome picks guys good reading to.
Ron G that sounded a bit dangerous mate I think u will find that most operators my age don't know what a direct drive tractor is don't know what a pilot motor is don't know what a strait swing blade is and have only ever had an air cab.
Now that's not me I do know what these thing are and I know how to use them.

I was simply stating that I have never seen a ripper on a blade b4 and acknowledging the fact that the weath of knowledge accuired by the older generation is overwhelming at times.

Well that's what I tried to do without pissing in anybody's pocket
If I came across wrong I'm sorry

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Yair . . . R.D.G013

Exactly! Watching jobs though these last few years I often think these simple basic techniques have been abandoned.

Cheers.

Yeah when u see some of the vids of dozers ripping, the operators have got no idea of what they are doing specially when it comes to adjustable rippers, they have the shank angle all over the place, makes a hard job out of an easy one, after seeing some of the vids on youtube I would hate to be the owner of some of those machines as they are just getting butchered.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Its called 'reading the rock'.
40 years ago I watched a muscle bound man beat the crap out of a rock with a sledgehammer for 3 hours.
Another old guy came along with the same hammer; and within 20 minutes the rock was gone. His words were read the rock boy. they all have fault lines, its knowing where and how to hit or rip. :beatsme
As for those horrible wedge blades; thank Christ I have never had the misfortune to meet them; I,d rather stick to the turnbuckles thanks. just turn the heel down and plough.
The towed rippers in your pic Scrub, were called 'Ben Hurr' rippers over here; like the roman chariots.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
No offense at all Cam,just admitting how difficult it was to think that all through when my mind would do it all automatically if I were in the seat.At my age you don't want to push the cells too hard trying to figure things out.Basically all that is involved is pretty simple bearing in mind that to get the machine in position all we need to do is get one track up on the winrow of the last push and get on with it.Ron G

Cam85

Oh ok no problem yea the last batter I did I had to do it with strait blade no tilt and I was forced to remember the tricks of the trade I thought I had had my throat cut.
My offsider at all of 21 thought it was madness watching me push a bit of dirt to where I wanted it so as to get my tracks in the right spot. Bloody painful and slow.

I c the drag along ripper set up that would b a character building experience having one of those behind u all day imagine trying to find a Seam in rock with that how the hell do the cables not jump around with all the jolting and jarring that would rage in juicing at best at a guess

Cam85

Gimme quad barrel rippers hanging on the back any day great for plucking out floaters.

Speaking of hard rock year b4 last I did lease pad that had one hell of a shelf now in my mind the easiest way to deal with is to dig down beside it and break off one lump at a time but do think I could tell that to the young bloke on the d8t beside me I might as well have started talkin to the rock would have achieved more.