• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need some feedback about this.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
Hey Craydul, I reckon one of the best tools anyone has is communication. Be frank with the guy about the way you feel. I'm assuming you have a detailed time sheet? if not i would keep a record of the jobs and time you spend on the machines, Especially if you feel like he's taking credit for your work.. Its possible he may just feel threatened by the way the boss man put you on the machine?
Have had my fair share of nobs that try undermine my progression for whatever reason they had. but i did my job, worked had and showed my worth, didn't keep quiet and made the calls that needed making. made management soon after i qualified (which was also a learn as you go affair), went on n up from there. Learned keeping records was VERY important when s**t hit the fan and fingers started flying..
I don't much care for politics in any form and would have been happy with a wrench, but the pay was good as was the experience. still swung the spanner, but also had to do all the other fun stuff too.
I digress.. Training is costly, But its the smarter play in the longer run. It's definitely a disaster having key members of the team go off and leave the job hanging. If you're slow, you'll get faster, the experience will take care of that.
The foreman is supposed to be there to get the best/make the best out of the players he has. He's just shooting himself in the foot cos that karma is a darling..
He should be helping you get the job done. not doing it for you. If for whatever reason he thinks you're not up to it, then he should tell you. Communicate, get it out in the open. Make your presence known..
Going above someone without due cause is a sure way to make an enemy btw..
Oh, and do try and handle it diplomatically. you just need to be to the point and cool headed.
Nobody got anywhere by sitting on the bench.
Good luck man.

Welder Dave

If someone hopping in a machine trying to take credit for your work (on payday too) isn't enough reason to go over their head, I don't know what is, especially when it's the foreman who was told to give you more time on the machine. You can try talk to the foreman first but from what I'm reading he could care less. He was told to give you more time and he isn't. Instead he's trying to take credit for your work. Maybe a newbie who just started on the job would put up with this but someone who's obviously proven themselves shouldn't have to. I agree with what a friend of mine said awhile ago that he'd put up with a lot more when he was younger than he does now. I think it's from seeing too many back stabbers and two faced idiots along the way.

craydul

Hey Craydul, I reckon one of the best tools anyone has is communication. Be frank with the guy about the way you feel. I'm assuming you have a detailed time sheet? if not i would keep a record of the jobs and time you spend on the machines, Especially if you feel like he's taking credit for your work.. Its possible he may just feel threatened by the way the boss man put you on the machine?
Have had my fair share of nobs that try undermine my progression for whatever reason they had. but i did my job, worked had and showed my worth, didn't keep quiet and made the calls that needed making. made management soon after i qualified (which was also a learn as you go affair), went on n up from there. Learned keeping records was VERY important when s**t hit the fan and fingers started flying..
I don't much care for politics in any form and would have been happy with a wrench, but the pay was good as was the experience. still swung the spanner, but also had to do all the other fun stuff too.
I digress.. Training is costly, But its the smarter play in the longer run. It's definitely a disaster having key members of the team go off and leave the job hanging. If you're slow, you'll get faster, the experience will take care of that.
The foreman is supposed to be there to get the best/make the best out of the players he has. He's just shooting himself in the foot cos that karma is a darling..
He should be helping you get the job done. not doing it for you. If for whatever reason he thinks you're not up to it, then he should tell you. Communicate, get it out in the open. Make your presence known..
Going above someone without due cause is a sure way to make an enemy btw..
Oh, and do try and handle it diplomatically. you just need to be to the point and cool headed.
Nobody got anywhere by sitting on the bench.
Good luck man.
Thank you very much for that. Also to everyone on this thread i cant thank you enough for the positivity you guys have given me i truly appreciate it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Next time the boss brings the checks, walk over to him and say, "How does my excavation work that I did today look? Where do I need improvement? I must not be doing it right because the foreman throws me out to protect me just before you get here each week". ;);)