• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help locating parts for oddball excavator

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Hi, Im located in Northern, NJ, I have a 1997 Fiat-Allis FX310 (Fiat-Hitachi is also another name it goes by and the last I knew NewHolland was the last big manufacturer to get parts from), I am trying to locate a used bucket cylinder for it. I have scoured the internet but since Fiat-Allis is I believe based in Italy, I can get one new thru New Holland but they're talking over somewhere around $10k with shipping for new. Im pretty sure we didn't even pay that much for the machine from an auction. I was wondering if someone could maybe point me in a direction. Huh? I have scoured a few "local" scrap yards looking for something even remotely close even if i had to customize it a bit but so far nothings turned up. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help. Smiley

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Take the old cylinder to a good hydraulic shop and have it rebuilt. If not rebuildable for some reason, have the hydraulic shop build a new one to replace it. some of the old parts may be salvageable and can be used in the new one. Either option should cost way less than the price you were quoted.

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Thanks, I sent it to a hydraulics shop to see about just repacking and stuff he said the barrel is scored beyond repair, and many other parts need to be rebuilt. he did say he could send it out to get rebuilt but we are looking at around $4k from his initial "top of his head" quote. I have him coming to my shop on Friday he's going to take some more exact measurements with his vernier and give me a more accurate quote.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Try American Hose & Hydraulics in Paterson, NJ, speak to the owner Kenny, he will tell you the truth.

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Thank you, Ill have to check them out and see what they say. In the meantime, I am definitely going to continue a search for a used one. :)

Delmer

Did you try machinerytrader? enter the part number in used parts search and see what comes up.

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I don't have a part number but I did try to type in the Machine information and couldn't find anything

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Any hits for parts I've gotten on google have been China and and somewhere in Europe. Not really cost effective :(

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Thanks. I called the place posted to the machinery trader link. Waiting for a call back. If no success then I will def try that place in Ohio.

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Thanks. I called the place posted to the machinery trader link. Waiting for a call back. If no success then I will def try that place in Ohio.

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Just an update. I called around to most of the places and didn't have much luck. The link from machinery trader was a bit of a dead end. The guy says he might not want to sell parts :( so on with looking to do a full rebuild. Anyone else with suggestions would be much appreciated. I got a cylinder part number. Fiatallis 71427390. Thanks everyone for the input so far

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
To help find a "will fit" replacement cylinder you should have a picture of it
Preferably while on the machine.
A picture to post here, print out, hand out, mail out...with you phone number on it xand so they remember you.
Maybe also something in the picture of a standard size, width length to give them an easy comparison perspective.
....a one gallon jug...a standard spade shovel.

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
That's a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have it on the machine but I can take a picture of the cylinder. Its actually disassembled because we sent it to get repack and the guy was like yea not happening. Its totally wiped out the barrel is scored beyond repair and there's a lot of other damage. I have measurements and pictures of disassembled tho

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Take a picture of the machine it came of of too.
Also a picture of the same machine from the internet if possible.

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I thought I took a better picture today but apparently I never saved it so this is the best comparison I have. I have a couple more pictures I'm going to upload

Andrew_D

Have you tried over on the http://www.allischalmers.com site? They get guys posting about the "newer" FA machines as well.

Second idea: Measure pins, rod dia, cylinder dia, length, etc and try to find a cylinder off of a different make that would work. I'm guessing that a similar size machine would be close enough to work??? Or at least be adaptable for less $$$ than building new.

Andrew

MachineHead437

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
That's another option that I'm looking into. Unfortunately,many places want part numbers not dimensions. I did speak with a gentleman today who has the same machine and he said since he has the dimensions from his cylinder and can compare in person he was going to see if he could find something usable for me if possible. I have to call him back Monday morning. I also spent an hour the other day in a scrap yard going over an entire trailer of cylinders and hopping from rusty dinosaur to rusty dinosaur with a tape measure, measuring cylinders but had no luck finding one yet :( hopefully this phone call form this morning will pan out for me :)

Last edited: