• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My new website

bobcatuser

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I just got my website redone and was wondering how much business is generated by having a website? How do other people advertise, other than yellow pages? Most of my work comes from referrals.
My site www.stevesbobcat.com

nedly05

Nice Website!! You guys do some really nice looking work, you also have a nice fleet of equipment. You keep it lookin' good!:notworthy

atgreene

Nice site. I just recently got mine up and running and have yet to have an calls from it, but I think it helps.

bobcatuser

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
That looks like an expensive hobby. Are those trucks street legal, what do they dyno at?

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
the red dodge, isnt street legal, we figure somewhere in the range of 800 to 900hp, the other 3 are street legal, the black ford is around 350- 375 i belevie. mine is the white one, i dynoed around 380 , i forget the the tourque numbers, and the black dodge was a little over 400, its fun but very expensive

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Very nice site. Clean, detailed and professional. :drinkup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Steve, well done...the essential information well presented while still keeping the site simple. I like it...can I steal it and change the name/contacts:D :thumbsup

Electra_Glide

I just got my website redone and was wondering how much business is generated by having a website? How do other people advertise, other than yellow pages? Most of my work comes from referrals.
My site www.stevesbobcat.com
Steve,

Nice site. I like it. :thumbsup

How are you driving people to it? I know some other guys who have websites, and have always wondered how well they work.

I do most of my advertising by word-of-mouth (very slow), and I also have a one-page flyer that I hang up wherever I can. I also use it to do some direct mailing.

Joe

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice website. I think the best thing to add is project pictures. It shows your potential new customers what you are capable of. Most times the general public lacks the vision.

I think a website is a valuable tool in any business but it is hard to measure exactly your return on investment. I know that you can track who and how many people visit your site but that is way over my head. The good thing about it is most potential customers equate a website, especially a very good one such as yours, to a professional company that can get the job done.

jmac

Even if the potential customer didn't find you by the web site the fact that you can say 'check out my web site" would help in closing the deal. Like CM1995 said then photo's of your work would be a great selling tool. Like a resume' but only on the web.

bobcatuser

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Thanks for all the complements. I think having a website is probably one of the cheapest ways to advertise. Now I’ll have to remember to take more pictures for updates.

raj000

website marketing

You can get plenty of business from the right type of website marketing.

The site design looks good, but ask your developer if he designed the website keeping in mind search engines. Very specific skills are required to optimize the website for search engine placement and making sure it features in the top 5 listings on google.

Did your developer ask you the keywords around which your website is to be developed? If not, he has completely ignored search engine placement.

Also, check out the service by adwords.google.com . This is a paid service but you can generate very good business leads from your specific town/location.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Nice site and easily navigated! I'm impressed with the road you built.

Is there a reason you didn't use sleemanbobcat.com as your URL? One thing in marketing a business is consistency, and that would apply to your business name as well. You can't give people too much to remember, if they happen to see your truck lettered in passing, there usually are only a few seconds for them to absorb what is on your door. By having your business name and web address the same or very similar, they get a glimpse of your business name twice in one quick viewing. Just a suggestion.

I guess this comment might be considered a warning of type. The one series of photos is of a residential job you did, which is very well done. My only concern here is whether you got the customer's permission to publish their name on your website. I'm pretty certain you are exposed to legal issues if you have not. A change of title for that series of pictures would eliminate that exposure if this is the case, or written permission to use their name..

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Awesome web page and design, I really love the before and after section with the roll over of the mouse, very neat idea.

BTW, I've posted multiple pics of job sites with customer names without getting in legal troubles, I prefer to do it so the "locals" on this site and other sites get a good idea of where you work.

And on another note, didi you ever do business at Bobcat Country, I know I recognize that name from somewhere.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Posting your customer's name is no problem as long as you have their permission to do so. It is required, and if someone who had not given their permission wanted to do so they could make an issue of it. I'm simply throwing the information out there in hopes that someone might avoid a possible conflict.

Many people violate traffic laws without getting caught too, but when you do get caught, there's a penalty to pay. I prefer to avoid penalties where I can.