• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mulching - "The Daily Grind"

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
True. That one was very difficult to walk/climb up. I had to work my way down, leaving "parking stumpage" to rest against while working. Those were erased on the way back up the hill. It took a fair amount of pushing to get back up.

On the other hand, the "After" drone shot made this hill look nearly impossible. It was only about a 25-30 degree slope which is easy stuff. 35 and over become more difficult.

Before:
View attachment 307562

After:

View attachment 307561

It really was not all that bad. Just a lot of cantelope sized rock that I reduced to baseballs and golf ball sized materials. I left as much grass/vegetation base as possible to limit any erosion.

View attachment 307563
That bare earth hillside looks like a land slip waiting to happen. Great work though. It looks fantastic.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I finished up a job this week. I had sense enough not to push the limits with the rubber tires in the wet areas, even though the new tires kept me from getting "temporarily immobilized" in some really soft situations. Apparently, some dam critters have flooded the creek and put the old field that they wanted reclaimed very close to the water table. That, coupled with spring time hillside springs, made for a few wet sections that still needed to be cut. I must have been fishing on this job being that it was so wet. Crawfishing, that is. Plenty of their mounds out there on this terrain.

IMG_20240314_094716_341.jpg

IMG_20240314_102235_561.jpg

This was the largest tree that I encountered on the job. It was a storm damaged blow over that landed into the field. I was a bit over 36" dbh, white oak and as heavy as could be. This was just field reclamation for wildlife so it was fast work, not clean work. "Just get it chopped up enough to bush hog in the Fall" was what I was told. Chop up what I need to and push the heavy stuff off to the edge. The Barko loves these big trees! Maybe 6-7 minutes worth of work here, if that.

IMG_20240304_162158_634.jpg

IMG_20240304_172218_083.jpg